1st timers w/family of 5 - stateroom help, please

Having our own family of 5, our preference is the family stateroom with veranda over two rooms. We enjoy having us all together, and the balcony is a big deal for us, especially for Alaska. The one caveat is that the top bunk (the one that folds down from the ceiling) has a weight limit. Our youngest daughter (9) sleeps there so we haven’t had a problem, but if your sons are big guys you could be out of luck for the family stateroom.
We enjoy being together too! (I already find myself hoping they don't fall too much in love with the kids clubs, after hearing many say they hardly saw their kids onboard bc they loved the clubs... sounds silly I'm sure, but in this case there's a ton we will want to do together so I'm sure it'll be fine) Anyway, being together is a nice perk of staying in 1 room.

I hadn't heard about a weight limit for the bunk. Do you recall what it was? My youngest are around 110. Hope they can use it!

Last edited:
We enjoy being together too! (I already find myself hoping they don't fall too much in love with the kids clubs, after hearing many say they hardly saw their kids onboard bc they loved the clubs... sounds silly I'm sure, but in this case there's a ton we will want to do together so I'm sure it'll be fine) Anyway, being together is a nice perk of staying in 1 room.

I hadn't heard about a weight limit for the bunk. Do you recall what it was? My youngest are around 110. Hope they can use it!
I had thought it was 150, but a quick check here on the boards comes up with 220 so not likely to be a problem for kids (heck, I’m under that.)

Having sailed Alaska, since you generally have land on both sides, the ride isn't nearly as rocky.

I also found this image HERE that shows the Big Red Boat, which Disney Used prior to building their own ships. You can literally see the size difference with the Magic berthed right next to it. The Wonder is pretty much the same as the magic. Bigger ships don't get tossed around as much as they seemingly absorb the waves better. I think it'll turn out grand for your husband.
Thank you for the cool photo of the two ships. I just showed my husband and it's so interesting. I've seen a ton of photos of his cruise on that previous ship long ago, and it's amazing how much bigger the Wonder is in comparison. And so very Disney. Can't wait! I think he/we will love it.

Just wanted to note that if your oldest son will still be 17 at the time of cruising, I don't think you can book the teens in a separate room. Disney Cruise Line requires that at least one adult (18+) must be in each stateroom.

"When booking your cruise, provide the number of Guests you want to share your stateroom (one of whom must be an adult)."
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/staterooms/maximum-occupancy/

This is true. We always got around this by booking Mom and 1 son in a inside stateroom and Dad and 1 son in the verandah room. You can adjust where everyone sleeps once you get there. Get extra keys made too so everyone has the right door key. Our boys loved having their own inside stateroom and we all got to share the verandah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter