2 thumbs down for new “Turning Red” movie

I think the underlying message is very poor. Essentially, the message is “your parents are wrong and you are right by disobeying them.”

I think the underlying message is very poor. Essentially, the message is “your parents are wrong and you are right by disobeying them.”

but when you are 13 thats what you think. Did you not feel that your parents didnt understand the pop culture that you were into, that their ways and views were old fashioned, did you ever want to go to something and be told no, and the reason is because I said so???

but when you are 13 thats what you think. Did you not feel that your parents didnt understand the pop culture that you were into, that their ways and views were old fashioned, did you ever want to go to something and be told no, and the reason is because I said so???
So your answer to these “feelings” is to disregard your parents and go behind their backs? That’s not what I teach my daughter and I don’t need Disney/Pixar doing it either. It’s an inappropriate message at a time where parents are being undermined throughout society and children have become political tools for perverse agendas.

So your answer to these “feelings” is to disregard your parents and go behind their backs? That’s not what I teach my daughter and I don’t need Disney/Pixar doing it either. It’s an inappropriate message at a time where parents are being undermined throughout society and children have become political tools for perverse agendas.

You may be teaching your daughter your viewpoint but have you ever thought that your daughter may see things differently and may hide things from you, you are not in her head, just like Mai Lees mother was not in her head and couldnt see the world as Mai Lee saw it.

You may be teaching your daughter your viewpoint but have you ever thought that your daughter may see things differently and may hide things from you, you are not in her head, just like Mai Lees mother was not in her head and couldnt see the world as Mai Lee saw it.

the fact that you are questioning my relationship with my daughter makes you weird, very weird.
What I am saying is a children’s movie shouldn’t have the prevailing message be “sneak around behind your parent’s back because you are right and your parents are wrong.”

the fact that you are questioning my relationship with my daughter makes you weird, very weird.
What I am saying is a children’s movie shouldn’t have the prevailing message be “sneak around behind your parent’s back because you are right and your parents are wrong.”

no I'm not questioning your relationship with your daughter, just trying to make you see that how adults see the world and how 13 year olds see the world is very different and that there is a generational divide and that this film shows that generational dived through the eyes of a 13 year old girl.

You cant relate to the themes and messages in this film because you are looking at it through the eyes of a parent, not through the eyes of a 13 year girl.

Have you watched many other Disney films? This happens in…all of them, just about? In fact it’s a common theme in cartoons, books, and other popular movies too—because it represents how kids feel and that’s the point of a kid’s movie. maybe your kid doesn’t disobey you, but that doesn’t mean they don’t THINK about it. And recognizing that it’s ok to at least feel defiant even if you don’t act on it is a good message.

That's not the message I got at all... Mei did not have a great time at the concert because she went behind her parents back... her sneaking/scheming almost completely ruined her friendships and also caused the concert to be ruined/destroyed.

In the end she was able to form a better relationship with her mom, since her mom also learned something from it, and make a choice about her body that was right for her.... but it definitely didn't send the message to my kids/family that going behind your parents back is going to be awesome and nothing bad will happen.

This and the last three Pixar films felt like dreamworks films what’s going on over there…?

That's not the message I got at all... Mei did not have a great time at the concert because she went behind her parents back... her sneaking/scheming almost completely ruined her friendships and also caused the concert to be ruined/destroyed.

In the end she was able to form a better relationship with her mom, since her mom also learned something from it, and make a choice about her body that was right for her.... but it definitely didn't send the message to my kids/family that going behind your parents back is going to be awesome and nothing bad will happen.

Yes, exactly. The message is about making mistakes but realizing that they don't make you a bad person - that you can forgive the ones you love even when you don't always agree with other. The mom was also being pretty overbearing. The movie is saying that you can meet in the middle.

Watched this movie with my older tween recently and really liked it. I don’t think it would be interesting to younger kiddos, but for my daughter it was just right. I love how they were upfront with the topic of menstruation, and Mei’s relationships with her friends and family were both very charming. I love how she had that 13-year old mix of confidence, embarrassment, disobedience, and the desire to please your parents. Teenagers are full of contradictions!

This and the last three Pixar films felt like dreamworks films what’s going on over there…?
What makes it feel like Dreamworks? Is it about a huge difference in quality of movies, Dreamworks has made amazing movies like the first two Shrek movies, Prince of Egypt, How to Train Your Dragon, but also Shark Tale and Flushed Away.

Soul, Luca and Turning Red, while none of them are my thing, there are plenty of people raving about the last three. I wouldn't consider them bad quality.

I had no intentions of watching this - as the promos didn't appeal to me. But all the reviews (good and bad) had me curious. I finally watched it. Not my favorite Disney / Pixar movie. But, have to admit I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I did watch it alone, could not convince either of my daughters to watch it with me.

I loved Encanto - couldn't get them to watch that with me either.

Interesting take, I kind of took it as, no matter how much control a parent thinks they have, all kids have their own lives, wants, needs, expectations, ect, and parents are there to help guide their kids down the right path. Not completely control every part of their child’s life

Interesting take, I kind of took it as, no matter how much control a parent thinks they have, all kids have their own lives, wants, needs, expectations, ect, and parents are there to help guide their kids down the right path. Not completely control every part of their child’s life

exactly, you can teach your kids your values , your culture, your traditions and heritage, but your kids are not you, they are not your duplicate or clone, they will have opposing views to you and have different interests to you and are their own unique person. Kids need to see its ok to be different, that their way of thinking and their interests are just as important as yours.

That’s a reasonable take from the adult’s perspective. What is the lesson the kids are learning though? Are they being taught what you took away from it or are they being taught “if I disobey my parents and sneak around behind their backs, I will wind up right in the end. I will get my way and everything will end up ok.” ?

That’s a reasonable take from the adult’s perspective. What is the lesson the kids are learning though? Are they being taught what you took away from it or are they being taught “if I disobey my parents and sneak around behind their backs, I will wind up right in the end. I will get my way and everything will end up ok.” ?
1 - I think anyone should be talking with their kids when watching media to talk about takeaways. Movies aren't there to raise your kids, which leads me to 2
2 - Beauty and the Beast teaches you if you wait long enough, everything turns out okay. Snow White teaches if you eat something from a stranger and get sick, it will all turn out okay. Little Mermaid, Frozen .... do you see a trend? Many movies have "happy endings" or endings that don't show the full complexity of cause and effect. Which is why they're not meant to be seen without commentary or feedback.
3 - My kids, and I suspect many kids, are adept enough to know that there is a difference between movies and real life. No one is turning into a red panda. So, the lessons can be metaphors and/or take some unpacking. If you are a hands off person who doesn't talk to your kids about the implications of the messages in Turning Red or anything else - then, yeah, they'll take away whatever you think they will.

For me, it created a good opportunity to talk with my 9 year old about how they're growing up, are different than me, but we can talk about things and that hiding them can often make things seem bigger/scarier than they are when you talk about them. It's a jumping off point, not a landing point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter