• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

20,000 Leagues of Running (comments welcome)

Do they have a waitlist for your desired race? I don't know how common that is.
You could also set up your own "race" - recruit some family/friends to hold you accountable to actually treating it like a race. That is, no pausing your watch when you stop, maybe having an "aid station" for you, etc. And then run it as fast as you planned for your race.

Do they have a waitlist for your desired race? I don't know how common that is.
You could also set up your own "race" - recruit some family/friends to hold you accountable to actually treating it like a race. That is, no pausing your watch when you stop, maybe having an "aid station" for you, etc. And then run it as fast as you planned for your race.
Funny you should ask that ...

Last night I was maybe a little reactive. I signed up for the first 5k I could find (local one on November 5) plus the 10k I had been eyeing in December (because I didn't want that to sell out too - aka FOMO!). Only to find out this morning that there is (for the first time ever) a wait list for the first race I wanted.

So now I'm signed up for two 5ks in November and a 10k in December. Oops! My training schedule just got complicated.

4 weeks to 5k #1
6 weeks to 5k #2
10 weeks to 10k #1

Last edited:
Today was another good week. The holiday on Monday really threw off my schedule, but I managed through somehow. I also managed to catch  another cold. Luckily it really started to settle in after my second maintenance run, but more on that below.

Monday - 31 mins
I decided that running with the dog was not going to get me ready in time, so today I walked the dog for 12-15 minutes, which I then used as my warm up before going right into my 30 minute maintenance run. A few things I found out. Running around my neighborhood it is hard to keep going for 30 minutes without hitting some big hills. Also, running without a dog is a lot harder than running with a dog. I managed 2.5 miles and even made it back in time for my 1 O'clock meeting 🙌

Tuesday - just some light yoga

Wednesday- 31 minutes

Today was another maintenance run. The last one was a lot tougher than running around a flat track, so I expecting this one and came at it with a better pace. I managed my time and energy better was able to slightly increase my mileage to 2.7 miles in the same amount of time. I know this run is just about the time, the mileage is just a curiosity since I ran the same route.

It was this evening the fold started coming on and I thought, "No! It can't be another cold. Surely it must just be Lingering symptoms from my last cold!" But no, it was another cold

Thursday I managed some light yoga with the hope of squeezing in a third maintenance run on Friday, but by then I was full on sick. Saturday I was so tired I skipped the DC United game I had tickets for to go to bed early. I really wasn't sure whether I was going to get my long run in, but

Sunday - 39 minutes
Sunday I woke up feeling SO MUCH better. It wasn't as good as Tuesday, but definitely better than Friday. I still wasn't sure if I was going to run, but I drove out to the track anyways, and when I got there the weather was just so nice and I felt so good that I managed to get some miles in.

On my schedule for the December 16 10k, today's mileage was supposed to increase from 3 to 3.5. Having just got over a cold, I wasn't sure about this and told myself I could stop at anytime. But I just kept a nice easy pace and managed to knock it out. 3.5 miles, 39 minutes, nice and easy.

I feel really good now too. No soreness or anything. I feel like I could run another few miles tomorrow, but I won't 😆

Overall, a good week!

8.8 total miles

3 weeks to 5k #1
5 weeks to 5k #2
9 weeks to 10k #1

Last edited:
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I was supposed to do a 4 mile long run today, but instead I'm stuck in bed with a fever of 101.6. Ugh!

This week had been pretty good until today.
  • Tuesday, 31 mins around the neighborhood, 2.7 miles
  • Thursday, 33 mins around the neighborhood, 3 miles
Yesterday in DC was BEAUTIFUL and I really thought about getting in a run before dinner, but I'd been doing errands all day and was tired so I put it off for today. Oops.

So here's my question, since I missed my long run today, what do I do on the next day that I do run? Assume it's Tuesday, do I do a maintenance run or do I do my long run?

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I was supposed to do a 4 mile long run today, but instead I'm stuck in bed with a fever of 101.6. Ugh!

This week had been pretty good until today.
  • Tuesday, 31 mins around the neighborhood, 2.7 miles
  • Thursday, 33 mins around the neighborhood, 3 miles
Yesterday in DC was BEAUTIFUL and I really thought about getting in a run before dinner, but I'd been doing errands all day and was tired so I put it off for today. Oops.

So here's my question, since I missed my long run today, what do I do on the next day that I do run? Assume it's Tuesday, do I do a maintenance run or do I do my long run?
I sometimes will swap runs around in a week of training if there's a reason for it, but I almost never shift my long run by more than a day. You don't want two long efforts (this LR and the next LR) to creep too close together because the effect will not be what is intended. Also, if you do the LR on Tuesday, would that be right before a workout run? That wouldn't be a good idea. Just some thoughts.

If you're going to shift the LR to Tuesday, I'd just pare it down to a "regular" length easy run.

Would also be wary of pushing too hard if you're getting over a 3rd cold in as many weeks. Hope you feel better soon.
Oh no, this was not a cold. It was a full on evil stomach bug! I'm feeling a lot better today, but I'm really dehydrated and have no energy. So today is a recovery day. 8 ounces of fluid every hour and small meals of protein.

Thanks for the input on the long run. I think that if I'm healthy enough to run tomorrow night that it will just be an easy one.

I'm not familiar with the workout run. The Galloway 10k plan I'm following (from the runDisney website) didn't seem to mention those. Let me read it again though, I'm notoriously bad at directions.

I took everyone's advice and had a restful week. Some of it was just necessity. That bug kicked my rear! I was out flat Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday I was really only at 75%.

Thursday
I was feeling a lot better and kind of dreading the fact that I hadn't run in a week. I figured I could self manage a really light run around the neighborhood. I ran about 2.9 miles in 30 minutes. Coming back after 7 days and a bug was like running through sludge. Ugh. But, my goal was just a light easy run and I did that, so.

Friday and Saturday
Walks around the neighborhood and some yoga. Keeling it light.

Sunday
I got a couple of really good nights of sleep and felt just about 100%, so I went back to my regular routine. I manage 4 miles around the track and felt really good. The first 5 laps was easy, the next 3 laps were a little harder, and the last 4 were a bit of a slog, but I made it. I never pushed myself, just put one foot in front of the other and watched my time. But even with that, I ran faster today than usual. I managed the 4 miles in 42 minutes.

1 week until the first 5k. I'm planning to take it easy this week. Two 30 minutes runs and some stretching. Pictures and results next week! Woot woot!!

Tomorrow's the big day! I tried to take it easy this week. Emphasis on the tried. Tuesday I did a 30 minute run and accidentally ran too fast. Thursday was a much slower 30 minute run. Lots of yoga in between, I am feeling good!

Tomorrow's temperature at race time should be comfortable. Low of 40, high of 54. Dew point of 35. Beautiful! The question is, do I go easy or hard?

Either way I'm setting a PR tomorrow- it's my first 5k 🤪

My first race is in the books!

BLUF - I finished and hit one goal and almost hit the other.

I woke up feeling refreshed and ready for the day. I had my usual breakfast of an Activia yogurt, banana, and cup of coffee.

The weather was all over the place. I walked outside in shorts and a tshirt, only to immediately walk back inside for a long sleeve tee. This worked well in the shade walking to the starting line, but was too much for the race. Oh well.

I was about an hour early and spent a while just walking back and forth moving my arms to both stay loose and stay warm. About 20 minutes before race time I started stretching for real and that's when I started to get hot. I thought about taking my long sleeve tee off, but I didn't have anywhere to put it and there wasn't time to go back to the car.

For just a moment at the start, with 600+ people crowded around me, I wondered why I was doing this and thought it would be so much nicer just on a sidewalk by myself. But I shook off my anxiety and claustrophobia as soon as the announcer shouted go!

I did not realize how busy the start of the race was going to be. For about the first 10 minutes I just took my time and tried to find my place within the pack. It opened up before we got to the first mile and I was able to find my cadence.

For the most part I was able to stick to my training pace (9 to 10.5 miles/min). I was able to run the whole first mile without walking, but after that the hills started to kick my butt. There were more than I was used to as well, so I feel like a walked maybe an extra time, but, the 30 second break is a nice recovery.

When I got to mile 2 I saw on my FitBit that I was just above 20 minutes. Earlier in the week, I had realized during a training run that had the slightest chance of running a sub 30 5k. I was a little off that pace, but still had a shot.

The last mile started as a slog. I didn't want to run too fast and burn myself out, so I kept checking my pace. It jusr kind of slowly crept along. And then, all of a sudden, I could see the last turn. The excitement started to build and I felt a spring in my step. As the finish line came into sight, I still had gas in the tank and so used it all up.

I finished with a time of 30:32. I just missed it!! Oh well, now I have a goal to beat 😀 Overall, I was 179th out of 638 racers.

I felt pretty good, went through my usual stretches, grabbed a piece of pizza from the volunteers, and then, to celebrate, I went to McDonald's for breakfast. Yep, burned 600 calories and ate 1,000. Ha!

One in the books, many to go! 6 weeks until my 10k.

Attachments

• 20231105_080956.jpg
    20231105_080956.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
This is good to know for my next race in December!
It’s also true on training runs.

As far as throw away layers, there was a lady at my race on Saturday standing around the start corral in a bathrobe to stay warm pre-race. I don’t know if she had someone with her to take it, or if she was planning to just toss it (I assume she wasn’t planning on running in it 😂😂)

It’s also true on training runs.

As far as throw away layers, there was a lady at my race on Saturday standing around the start corral in a bathrobe to stay warm pre-race. I don’t know if she had someone with her to take it, or if she was planning to just toss it (I assume she wasn’t planning on running in it 😂😂)
That is genius.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter