$200.00 to completely clean my camera??

DVC Jen

Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks.
I think I am in sticker shock. Took my camera in today to get the sensor cleaned. It was $95.00 just for that, but they suggested getting the entired inside cleaned out incase there was more dust/dirt inside that would just get right back on the sensor. I did notice my mirror was looking a bit grungy so I went ahead and told them to just do the entire thing.

Is this pretty normal price wise? I just don'e feel confident enough to try it myself yet. Someday.

I think I am in sticker shock. Took my camera in today to get the sensor cleaned. It was $95.00 just for that, but they suggested getting the entired inside cleaned out incase there was more dust/dirt inside that would just get right back on the sensor. I did notice my mirror was looking a bit grungy so I went ahead and told them to just do the entire thing.

Is this pretty normal price wise? I just don'e feel confident enough to try it myself yet. Someday.

I'm just picking myself up off the floor! Please tell me this is not something that has to be done a couple of times a year...

yikes !won't be taking mine in anytime soon if it is:eek: did you take it to a local place or a chain if i might be so bold...?

How long have you had your camera and what did you do to get it grungy???

I thought they made kits to clean your own sensor?... nevermind, just re-read your post!

Really stupid question alert:

how do you know when your sensor needs cleaning? And roughly, how often is that?

Well I knew it needed cleaning because I had a bunch (like 7-10) dust spots on my photos. Most of them ya couldn't even tell, but when I went to take pics of something with a light background - the sky it was right there plain as day.

I know exactly when they got there and why. It was when I was taking Kylie out to do her senior pics and I (in my frustrated exhaustion) changed lenses outside on a windy day while standing on dirt in a very dry park. Not the smartest move I have ever made.

The place I took it to is the ONLY one I could find anywhere close to my area. It is not a chain but has been in business forever and comes highly recommended.

DH is actually the one who dropped the camera off today after I called them. He said you could tell they had been in business forever. They specialize in camera repair and cleaning.

I have a feeling they can pretty much set their prices at whatever they want because there isn't much competition in our area.

I should have my camera back in 3 days. If I didn't have a trip to WDW coming up and if I hadn't seen a lot of (well what appeared to be) dirt on the mirror I probably would have just gone with the basic sensor cleaning and not the whole camera cleaning. I have also had a teacher at work ask me to take some photos of her family - primarily her son who is also graduating. They haven't been able to afford any senior photos and when she saw the ones I took of Kylie (my DD) she asked if I would do her son and said she would pay me.

No way am I taking money from her - I am just grateful for the practice/experience.

Anyway I am doing his photos SOON so we can get prints made to send out in his graduation announcements. Therefore I really wanted to make sure my camera was nice and cleaned out before I take those, have my youngest DDs dance recital, her birthday, her 8th grade graduation and dance and then my oldest DD graduating from high school and our upcoming WDW trip.

I am really curious to hear from those of you who have paid to have your sensors cleaned to hear if this is pretty much the norm or should I dig deeper and find another place next time?

I picked up a ton of dirt and hairs on my mirror while at WDW, as well as a lot more dust and dirt than when I started. I fear that no matter how clean your camera is now, if you switch lenses regularly, you may have the issues again.

I now am more careful about lens changes (doing 'em quick and careful) and carry a Rocket Blower, so hopefully I won't have these issues next time. :) Don't let this scare you away from changing lenses, dust on the mirror is harmless (just distracting in the viewfinder) and if you use a blower, dust on the sensor will probably be very mild if noticable at all. Note that when I arrived at WDW, I had about 2,500 photos on my camera and when I left, I had over 5,000, and it had never been cleaned...

I've never had a camera professionally cleaned, before, but that just seems excessive ... $200 is like 1/3 - 1/4 the cost of a decent *new* DSLR!

It also seems excessive from a dollars/hr point-of-view. How many hours could it possibly take to clean the sensor of a camera (I've seen kits ... there can't be that much to it)? 2 hours? 3?

Getting paid $100/hr. is damn good wages in this day and age!

"tinksdad" posted a link to this product SensorScope on another thread ... the entire high-tech kit is less than $200...!

i agree it's gonna need it sooner than later, i have 3 spots in pretty much constant use of 10 months and have been totally paranoid about changing fast, making sure it's off when i change lenses, etcetcetc and i still have some dust..but that does sound like they figure they have you over a barrel. i figured around $100( since pretty much everything seems to be at least a $100, think that is the new $20 :) ) but i think they might have pulled a fast one for the extra $100, it's not like they are putting in a new mirror. i'd ask for an itemized list.

The prices they quoted me were - $95.00 just for a sensor cleaning and an additional $100.00 to clean the rest of the camera inside (not just the mirror). I will definately ask them to tell me in detail what they all did when I pick it up.

BTW - after this I WILL be investing in a rocket blower. ;)

While everyone admits that $200 is a chunk, you're paying for their knowledge and ability more than just the time it takes to do the work. But then, that's why I do mine myself. I'm curious of how they clean the entire camera. Do they take some parts off, or just vacuum from the lens hole. I imagine the former, but don't don't know for sure.

I've cleaned my sensor with one of the Copperhill kits and it worked very nicely. Being careful when changing the lenses is one of those work flow things that is just part of having a DSLR. I make sure I turn the camera off (which won't attract dust as much due to the electric charge on the sensor) and have the other lens ready and waiting before switching. Also, make sure you hold the opening down slightly.

Hopefully, you won't have to do that again for awhile!!:thumbsup2

I picked up a kit for about $40 shipped from Micro-Tools, that is enough to do a ton of cleanings... refills would be even cheaper (the kit included a rocket blower that was a good percentage of the total price.) It's really pretty simple and I would definitely recommend doing it yourself... $95 for a clean is pretty outrageous, if you use Pec-Pads, it's probably less than a dime in materials and about five minutes of work including getting ready.

I picked up a kit for about $40 shipped from Micro-Tools, that is enough to do a ton of cleanings... refills would be even cheaper (the kit included a rocket blower that was a good percentage of the total price.) It's really pretty simple and I would definitely recommend doing it yourself... $95 for a clean is pretty outrageous, if you use Pec-Pads, it's probably less than a dime in materials and about five minutes of work including getting ready.

I can't honestly see myself paying 200.00 every 6 months or so to have my sensor cleaned. I will more than likely order something next time and attempt it myself.

I think I probably just have to get more comfortable and used to handling the camera. And then if I can talk DH into letting me get the Canon 40D when it comes out - I will have a backup if I totally mess something up. ;)

Being that this is the first time and I am still such a novice I would rather pay the money to have someone do it who really knows what they are doing than try it myself and have one heck of a repair bill.

Dust on a dSLR is going to happen. How often it happens and how often you need cleaning depends on the individual. If you change lenses a lot, even with the best of practices you'll get dust. If you use the best practices that have been mentioned already, you'll have issues less often. I've had my dSLR for 15 months and my next cleaning will by my 4th. I use the materials/supplies found on the copperhillimages.com site. I think I will get a blower to help with the real loose stuff. I am in need of a cleaning, just haven't had the time yet. I'll add that to my list of things to do while on vacation next week. Granted it only takes about 10 minutes including getting all the stuff, preparing, doing the actual cleaning and then cleaning up everything afterwards, but times can be tight around the house with 3 kids ages 5 and under.

I like the new product that copperhillimages is offering (though its on backorder right now). Dust Aid. Much quicker and less nerve racking than the sensor swipe. This in addition to the sensor swipe will probably be the only sensor cleaning supplies needed.

I've never had a camera professionally cleaned, before, but that just seems excessive ... $200 is like 1/3 - 1/4 the cost of a decent *new* DSLR!

It also seems excessive from a dollars/hr point-of-view. How many hours could it possibly take to clean the sensor of a camera (I've seen kits ... there can't be that much to it)? 2 hours? 3?

Getting paid $100/hr. is damn good wages in this day and age!

"tinksdad" posted a link to this product SensorScope on another thread ... the entire high-tech kit is less than $200...!

Their target market is probably mostly people who want the look of an SLR but haven't a clue how it works (a lot probably shooting in automatic mode). The type of person who when you say "just get some X and do Y and Z" goes, "Oh, I couldn't do that!"

Having seen some pretty nasty PC cases when I was younger, a lot of people just let things go as long as they can.

Their target market is probably mostly people who want the look of an SLR but haven't a clue how it works (a lot probably shooting in automatic mode). The type of person who when you say "just get some X and do Y and Z" goes, "Oh, I couldn't do that!"

I'm a little unclear ... but, it sounds like you think they're taking advantage of people who don't really know much, or aren't comfortable with, about their expensive camera.

Based on the information from handicap18 and Groucho, it sure sounds like it! :mad:

I'm a little unclear ... but, it sounds like you think they're taking advantage of people who don't really know much, or aren't comfortable with, about their expensive camera.

Based on the information from handicap18 and Groucho, it sure sounds like it! :mad:

i don't know that it is really "taking advantage"...if you don't want to or can't do it yourself you pay to have it done, whether it's brain surgery or camera surgery;) if they do take it apart to clean it, $100 doesn't sound so :scared1: either, i was more picturing a couple swipes with a q tip. would i pay it willingly is another matter just mainly cause i'm cheap and would rather pay $50 and be able to do it 10x ( hubby do it really)

i don't know that it is really "taking advantage"...if you don't want to or can't do it yourself you pay to have it done, whether it's brain surgery or camera surgery;) if they do take it apart to clean it, $100 doesn't sound so :scared1: either, i was more picturing a couple swipes with a q tip. would i pay it willingly is another matter just mainly cause i'm cheap and would rather pay $50 and be able to do it 10x ( hubby do it really)

I don't know. I'm a software designer/web designer, and when I give an estimate to a customer I let them know both the hourly rate I plan to charge AND, as accurate as possible, the time it will take.

It if was a 4 hour job and they wanted to change $25/hr. -- that sounds fair.

If it's a 10 minute job (as indicated by Groucho and handicap18) that means they're charging DVC Jen $1,200/hr!!! Even if it's a half-hour job, it's still $400/hr.!

Camera repair != brain surgery!!

I don't know. I'm a software designer/web designer, and when I give an estimate to a customer I let them know both the hourly rate I plan to charge AND, as accurate as possible, the time it will take.

It if was a 4 hour job and they wanted to change $25/hr. -- that sounds fair.

If it's a 10 minute job (as indicated by Groucho and handicap18) that means they're charging DVC Jen $1,200/hr!!! Even if it's a half-hour job, it's still $400/hr.!

Camera repair != brain surgery!!

i can see what you mean but sometimes it is the skill involved ie husband is a painter...he never charges hourly cause different types take different levels of skill and some jobs, like his, the better you are at it the quicker you can do it so an hrly rate is just meaning the more skill you have the less you are paid for that skill.:rotfl: that doesn't mean he is taking advantage of someone who can't or doesn't want to do what he does... plus if they ship it out, they are charging for that as well as charging for being the middleman, shipping etc. i'm pretty sure i wouldn't want to take my camera apart to clean it cause that would cost me way more than 100 to buy the new one i would have to when it didn't work afterward;):)
just like does it really cost amazon $10 to ship me a little step up ring or something that i could ship for $2:rotfl: they are charging me 5x the amount i would pay but it's more than just the actual ups i'm paying for with amazon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter