2008 Free Dining Plan

Last year we paid about $90.00 a night to stay at AS Mu (however we were given a free upgrade to SSR)... so for $90.00 nightly, the three of us stayed at a beautiful resort AND got the free DDP (which still included the appetizer and tip) so it made for an AWESOME first trip! :thumbsup2

We did bounceback, staying at Pop, and it is still a great deal... but nothing like last year! :goodvibes

We cannot wait to come back to WDW, we are hooked!

Just curious...but how the heck did you get a free upgrade to a DVC resort from a value? Stuff like that never happens to me ;) BUT I was just wondering what happened? Is it something you could ask for... or what?

how were you offered a bounceback? We stayed in CSR last Sept and had the free dining plan. We are planning on going back this Sept but have not heard of the bounceback offer. Thanks for your help!
There were flyers in all of the rooms last September for Free Dining and it also ran on the resort info channel in the rooms. You could go ahead and book Free Dining for this year from August 30 - September 27, 2008. Tons of people here on the Dis did the bounceback. We have a few friends and neighbors who booked it also. We thought it was way too hot and a lot more crowded than we thought it would be so we didn't book.

Just curious...but how the heck did you get a free upgrade to a DVC resort from a value? Stuff like that never happens to me ;) BUT I was just wondering what happened? Is it something you could ask for... or what?

Seemed last year there were a ton of people that were given the option of staying at SSR. (Many of them felt it was a downgrade. :confused3 ) I only have the vaguest memory of why it happened, but I have a feeling it had to do with construction of the AK DVC places, and too few rooms at AK leading to bumping all over the place. But that's what I recall from what I read, it could be slightly or totally wrong. :)

No... shortly after booking the trip we got a surprise email from Disney that offered us our choice of a free upgrade to SSR or another DVC... we jumped on SSR after looking at the virtual tour.

We met several others while there as well, staying at SSR after paying for a Value (mostly Pop, but we were AS Music).

We were never told why we were chosen, but rumor had it (on here) that they were over-booked over Labor Day, and wanted to free up Values. I am not sure! :confused3

All I know is it made for an absolutely AWESOME first trip to Disney!

We stayed 10 nights/11 days, had the free DDP, and got to stay at an awesome resort very cheaply! :thumbsup2

On our last day, we called to see if perhaps we could add one more night... we could but it was rack rate at SSR, and it was like $279.00 a night or so!

Ugh... we spent the day at Disney (AK) but drove into Georgia and found a nice chain hotel for $100.00 a night. For us, that nearly $300.00 that one additional night was going to cost us, was the equivalant of 3 nights at SSR AND 3 days of the DDP, during our vacation and we just could not rationalize paying that!

Seemed last year there were a ton of people that were given the option of staying at SSR. (Many of them felt it was a downgrade. :confused3 ) I only have the vaguest memory of why it happened, but I have a feeling it had to do with construction of the AK DVC places, and too few rooms at AK leading to bumping all over the place. But that's what I recall from what I read, it could be slightly or totally wrong. :)

I know that when we went down last September there was a problem with the plumbing in a ton of the rooms at the French Quarter...so they were moving a ton of people to SSR.

We were also upgraded to SSR from ASMU. I never received the "email", but I read on these boards that other people were getting the offer. I called and the offer was attached to my name. We had 9 nights at SSR for the price of a value plus free dining. I also read that it was due to overbooking, but I don't know for sure. Stuff like that doesn't happen to me either...I was happy it did this time. We are also hoping for Free dp this year.

For 2007 it began on the 26th of August. For those of us offered bounceback this year, I believe it was the 30th. Bounceback free dining 2008 ends on 9/27 and while they did allow some, I was denied by three different people, to extend it into October (last year it was OK as long as your beginning date was before the promo ended). I tried on three different occasions, with three different people of varying rank, to make my dates a bit later and into the beginning of October for 2008, to no avail. Fr

I was able to book Free Dining for this year for 8 nights beginning 9/27/08 (9/27 through 10/5). I had no problem getting these dates at all.

how were you offered a bounceback? We stayed in CSR last Sept and had the free dining plan. We are planning on going back this Sept but have not heard of the bounceback offer. Thanks for your help!

We stayed at CSR last Sept as well - wonder if we were neighbors?

The bounceback offer was either a flier that was included in the packet we were given at check in or it was left on the table in our room.

I don't remembe which. I just know I was going through the papers one evening and found the flier.

The flyer was left on the table in our room. It said to call a special number from you room to take advantage of the bounce back offer. The flyer offered free dining on stays of 6 days and 5 nights for dates between 8-30 and 9-27-08. We scheduled next year a little later 9-21 to 9-27. We did that to make the first night of the MNSSHP.

I never got a flyer (at Pop), but I knew about the offer from this board, and it was on one of the Disney-related TV channels.

Free Dining saved us about $1,300.00 last September. I can't imagine we'll ever get a room only discount that would save us that much. I wish!!! September was too hot and too crowded for us. It would be a dream to be able to get a discount like that a "cooler" time of year. Oh well, I can dream. lol

So how crowded was it in Sept.?

The crowd calendars say that the first part of Sept is one of the slowest Is it not? :confused3

We went in Oct 2007 and was dissapointed at how crowded it was. :sad2:

The free dining might make it worth it but if it's real crowded, it won't

We were also upgraded to SSR from ASMU. I never received the "email", but I read on these boards that other people were getting the offer. I called and the offer was attached to my name. We had 9 nights at SSR for the price of a value plus free dining. I also read that it was due to overbooking, but I don't know for sure. Stuff like that doesn't happen to me either...I was happy it did this time. We are also hoping for Free dp this year.

Wasn't it cool? :woohoo:

When we received our email I was worried that it was a hoax or something, as it had a different number than the usual WDW Travel, so I called the main number to verify, and sure enough, it was real! They took care of the change right then and there!

The trip itself was a dream come true, the free dining made the dream attainable, and then the magical upgrade... WOW! :rolleyes:

I am glad your family got it as well... that just shows it pays to call and check! :goodvibes

Just out of curiousity, when were you there? Was your package booked over LD week-end as well?

We were at SSR 8/26 - 9/3/07, so yes we were there on LD weekend. We also never received any fliers or info about the bounceback last year. I read about it on the boards when I returned from our vacation.

so what I'm reading here is that the free dining (if offered to the general public) would start Aug 30th?

I hope it's a week earlier as school starts Sept 2 and I won't keep the kids out of school, especially the first week with DD starting high school.

Anyone have any insights as to the exact dates it should be offered or do I have to wait patiently until April to hear the official announcement?

I am also hoping they offer it before August 30. My kids are in High School and I won't take them out. If it is not offered earlier I don't think we are going this year. I'm hoping for an August 10th starting date. I'm probably dreaming, but in 2006 it started on August 13th so I guess it could happen.

Last year we paid about $90.00 a night to stay at AS Mu (however we were given a free upgrade to SSR)... so for $90.00 nightly, the three of us stayed at a beautiful resort AND got the free DDP (which still included the appetizer and tip) so it made for an AWESOME first trip! :thumbsup2

Cool, that's the kind of information I was looking for. I know the dining plan required rack-rate prices on the room and a ticket price. I'm considering a trip around Night of Joy this year. Actually starting on Aug 30-Sept 7th so to encompass Labor Day and give my DH the most bang for his vacation time. Anyway, can anybody answer these questions for me regarding the free dining, and the rates? We do have AAA. We'd be 2 adults one child age 8.

:upsidedow Where can I find out the rack rates on the resorts? I assume $90 for the Values -- or maybe just the AllStarts. What about the Moderates? I cannot afford the Deluxes so no need to quote those. ;)

:upsidedow How exactly do you do the AAA rate on the room and still get the DP?
:upsidedow It's not for sure that we WILL go at the time period. If we cannot get the free dining, I'll more than likely either rent DVC points, or stay offsite and go another time of year. SO, with that in mind, is it important to book now and add the Free Dining? Or is it possible to just wait until it's announced and buy then?
:upsidedow And finally! When you make the reservations do you pay in full right up front? I honestly cannot remember!! I've stayed onsite twice, but the most recent trips have been Offsites and DVC.

THANK you for any and all help!

:upsidedow Where can I find out the rack rates on the resorts? I assume $90 for the Values -- or maybe just the AllStarts. What about the Moderates? I cannot afford the Deluxes so no need to quote those. ;)
Go to wdwinfo.com and they have a nice itemization of all of the WDW hotel prices

:upsidedow How exactly do you do the AAA rate on the room and still get the DP?
You can NOT get the AAA discount and Free Dining. Free Dining can not ever be combined with any other discounts. It's one or the other.

:upsidedow It's not for sure that we WILL go at the time period. If we cannot get the free dining, I'll more than likely either rent DVC points, or stay offsite and go another time of year. SO, with that in mind, is it important to book now and add the Free Dining? Or is it possible to just wait until it's announced and buy then?
You can book now and add the Free Dining code to your room when it comes out in April, but there is no guarantee that you won't have to rebook. Each resort is only allotted so many rooms for the FD promo. Pop and ASMo usually sell out first at the values.

:upsidedow And finally! When you make the reservations do you pay in full right up front? I honestly cannot remember!! I've stayed onsite twice, but the most recent trips have been Offsites and DVC.

You just have to put down a $200 deposit and pay off the balance 45 days before your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter