**2010** Epcot Food & Wine Festival ENDED 11/14. 2011 FESTIVAL 9/30-11/13

The shrimp cake I sampled in no way resembled the above photo provided by madcoco. It is not a matter of disputing that you like it Skoolie and it might be good, all we are saying is that the sample we tasted was gelatinous (and yes it was a white gelatinous blob on a sugar cane stick) and not prepared as intended. There is batch to batch variation. We are not trying to convince you not to like it and we respect your opinion. Our goal is not propaganda against the poor shrimp cake. We have merely stated what we experienced.

Exactly. I experienced the same as you and, believe you me, my palette is well accustomed to food from all over the world and of all types. My SO who tends to like many things that I don't, also didn't like it and said the texture was really bad, too. The shrimp cake was definitely the biggest disappointment for us of the things we tried.

During the Party for the Senses there was a lobster ravioli that one of the chefs was offering and that was one that I was really looking forward to ... and it ended up being a huge disappointment because it was waaaaay overcooked and literally mushy. Proper preparation makes a huge difference.

Our goal is not propaganda against the poor shrimp cake.
LOL But to clarify, I did order it well done without the Jello.;)

So for those who have attended so far this yr, what changes have you enjoyed the most and the least?

Sometimes it's the little things. Larger piece of Brown Bread with the Kerrygold Cheese Plate but deleting the Kerrygold Butter that goes with it. Makes it hard to wash down. Just have to buy more beer or wine. Oh I see that was the plan all along. Adding more beer selections this yr but doing away with the "free" Sam Adams tasting. Well you were wedged in there pretty tight anyway and just like the wine seminar they have to throw out the excess pours. Very painful to see.;)

Gee - since I started the shrimp cake perhaps I should discontinue the listing of items....:rotfl: (not).

OK, my nominee for tried and True is Ireleand Lobster and Scallop Fisherman's Pie. I really like it and it was back again. Truth be told I have had better in past years which is why it did not make my list for #1. It is still very good, very rich and very full of lobster and scallop. It seemed smaller than past years (or maybe I was just hungry)....

And here is one that I was really looking forward to -- Black Pepper Shrimp with Sichuan Noodles....it did not meet expectations. Partially because it was not kept hot. A realy pity as it had potential. It's hard to feed food to the masses, so this is more of a comment than a critisism. Some foods do not do well at room temp.

We are back and I thought I would add some of my opinions (will upload photos later)..

Friends & Family event with Andrea Robinson was amazing! Better than I could have hoped. She was so informative and she and her husband put on a good show. The wine never stopped pouring and I enjoyed the food. It was the first time I really learned how to pair wine, and I loved her fresh seasoning approach versus. protein approach. Also the popcorn appetizers were the best, and the wines were fantastic!

Tutto Italia tasting- bleh. I know it is an affordable event but for my group it was not that great. The food was good and so were the wines, but it was not informative, the only information we got about the wines was on a printed sheet, and the wine representative from Banfi was just so-so. Asking questions about corks and really no wine info. A good starter event if you have little wine knowledge but if you like wine and know a decent amount about it, skip this. I would rather take the $60 a person and put it toward a better lunch or dinner.

French Regional Lunch (Alsace)- ok so this was one of my favorite events. While the concept is similar to the Tutto event they couldn't be further apart. The wine was to die for and the representative (Trimbach) was seriously educated. The service was impeccable and the food was to die for. The chef practically received a standing ovation!

Booths...

I should say we ate at almost all of the booths (minus about 5 or 6) and we had almost every food item, and at least one or two beverages at each. There were four of us so we ordered doubles and everyone had a taste so this is a consensus from four adults.

Favorites (overall because we liked almost everything from those booths):

Canada- everything was good even the chipotle sausage...oh and did I mention they have inniskillin?
Ireland- yum, yum, yum
Belgium- ok leffe, waffles, chocolate coffeee and cream drenched mussels...what's not to love?
Hops and Barley-I loved evything here and a blackberry witibier was a great new try.
Germany- Ok eveything is good, plus you need to get a beer, or two, or three...
Australia everything was so good...I love barramundi and never knew it lol!

Good(because we enjoyed most of what we had)-

Charcuterie & Cheese (the vote on the fondue was 50-50, meat plate was rated high by the two who ate it, cider was yummy)
United States(heirloom salad a bomb, chili thumbs up)
Argentina(beef skewer was great, empanada so-so)

Not so great (because we really didn't like anything we had)-

Singapore(shrimp cake was like plaster, randang watery I had high hopes for this as we do enjoy singaporean food)
Brazil (caipirinha...not a real one, shrimp stew was just gross if they want authentic they need to add feijoida)

If I didn't mention a booth it most likely means it was mixed reviews in our group.

We are back and I thought I would add some of my opinions (will upload photos later)..

Friends & Family event with Andrea Robinson was amazing! Better than I could have hoped. She was so informative and she and her husband put on a good show. The wine never stopped pouring and I enjoyed the food. It was the first time I really learned how to pair wine, and I loved her fresh seasoning approach versus. protein approach. Also the popcorn appetizers were the best, and the wines were fantastic!

Thanks for the observations. We love Andrea Immer Robinson! She is the best down to earth presenter of wines. Ever. We did her wine school this year and loved it. Did you happen to get the recipe for the popcorn appetizer? Would you share it if you have it? Thanks!

Does anyone know if the Cheese Fondue is vegetarian? Sounds crazy but I know the Cheese Soup in Canada is not and I wanted to check. Dh would love if it was.

Never mind. I found my answer when looking thru some photos of the F&W festival kiosks.

Thanks for the observations. We love Andrea Immer Robinson! She is the best down to earth presenter of wines. Ever. We did her wine school this year and loved it. Did you happen to get the recipe for the popcorn appetizer? Would you share it if you have it? Thanks!

I sure did...we had four types. Herb, truffle, wasabi pea and goat cheese. I will scan and post when I get home. DH and I are trying thr truffle oil popcorn and a cab tonight!

Good(because we enjoyed most of what we had)-

Charcuterie & Cheese (the vote on the fondue was 50-50, meat plate was rated high by the two who ate it, cider was yummy)

Fascinating. We thought this was by far the WORST booth we tried. The fondue had separated, so it had a terrible texture. We also thought it was extremely bland.

The smoked meat was really mediocre to us. We love good charcuterie and order it in many high end restaurants. This was not even close.

The cider was very, very dry. I thought it totally lacked that fruity, apple-y flavor that makes hard cider appealing. I absolutely love hard cider in general and this was, to me, the worst I've had in 25 years of drinking the stuff.

Oh well, different strokes...

Brazil (caipirinha...not a real one, shrimp stew was just gross if they want authentic they need to add feijoida)

YES! Feijoada would be an awesome addition to F&W. Mmmm.
Man, I'm hungry!

I posted this in my dining review today, but thought it may be appreciated here as well. We went to the Signature Dinner at California Grill last night, and I thought it was fantastic! Not a review, just the menu and wine pairings with photos.

Reception
Spicy Fried Duck Pot Stickers with Sticky Asian Glaze
Balsamic Onion and Black Mission Fig Tarts with “burnt” Caveman Blue Cheese
Roast Suckling Pig “Tacos” with Avocado and Margarita Crème Fraiche
Dungeness Crab Cakes with Spiced Remoulade and Piquillo Puree
“J” Vineyards Brut Rose Sparkling, RRV

(No photos – sorry)

First Course
Seafood Consommé with Pacific Whitefish Mousseline, Herbs de Provence, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Vegetable Foam
Michel Redde, Sancerre 2008
DSC01044.jpg

DSC01045.jpg

Second Course
Seared Pacific Monchong with Roasted Artichokes, Oven-dried Kalamata Olives, Preserved Lemons, and Citrus Broth
Selbach-Oster Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Spatlese, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer 2008
DSC01046.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

Third Course
Crisp Breast of Squab with Caramelized Pears, Bitter Greens, Confit, Parsnip Puree with Honey-Vanilla Vinaigrette and Squab Reduction
Rochioli Pinot Noir, RRV 2008
DSC01048.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

Intermezzo
Yuzu Sorbet with Concord Grape “Jello”
DSC01050.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

Fifth Course
Salt Seared Waygu Beef over Heirloom Squash Risotto, Oxtail Jus, and Roasted Blufoot Chanterelles
Paul Hobbs Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 2006
vs.
Paradigm Cabernet Sauvignon, Oakville 2004
DSC01052.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

Fromage Course
Hard, Soft and Crunchy
Royal Tokaji Aszu Essencia, Tokaji Hungary 1993
DSC01057.jpg

DSC01058.jpg

Seventh Course
Tanzanian Chocolate-Espresso Soufflé presented with a warm Honey and Lavender Crème Anglaise and Marcona Almond Brittle
Warres 1966 Vintage Porto, Portugal
DSC01066.jpg

DSC01067.jpg

Coffee, Tea​

I posted this in my dining review today, but thought it may be appreciated here as well. We went to the Signature Dinner at California Grill last night, and I thought it was fantastic! Not a review, just the menu and wine pairings with photos.

Reception
Spicy Fried Duck Pot Stickers with Sticky Asian Glaze
Balsamic Onion and Black Mission Fig Tarts with “burnt” Caveman Blue Cheese
Roast Suckling Pig “Tacos” with Avocado and Margarita Crème Fraiche
Dungeness Crab Cakes with Spiced Remoulade and Piquillo Puree
“J” Vineyards Brut Rose Sparkling, RRV

(No photos – sorry)

First Course
Seafood Consommé with Pacific Whitefish Mousseline, Herbs de Provence, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Vegetable Foam
Michel Redde, Sancerre 2008
Second Course

Seared Pacific Monchong with Roasted Artichokes, Oven-dried Kalamata Olives, Preserved Lemons, and Citrus Broth
Selbach-Oster Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Spatlese, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer 2008

Third Course
Crisp Breast of Squab with Caramelized Pears, Bitter Greens, Confit, Parsnip Puree with Honey-Vanilla Vinaigrette and Squab Reduction
Rochioli Pinot Noir, RRV 2008

Intermezzo
Yuzu Sorbet with Concord Grape “Jello”

Fifth Course
Salt Seared Waygu Beef over Heirloom Squash Risotto, Oxtail Jus, and Roasted Blufoot Chanterelles
Paul Hobbs Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 2006
vs.
Paradigm Cabernet Sauvignon, Oakville 2004

Fromage Course
Hard, Soft and Crunchy
Royal Tokaji Aszu Essencia, Tokaji Hungary 1993

Seventh Course
Tanzanian Chocolate-Espresso Soufflé presented with a warm Honey and Lavender Crème Anglaise and Marcona Almond Brittle
Warres 1966 Vintage Porto, Portugal

Coffee, Tea​

Mmm! How was the Dungeness Crab Cakes with Spiced Remoulade and Piquillo Puree and the Seafood Consommé with Pacific Whitefish Mousseline?

Just recently took another trip to Seattle and went to A few of Tom Douglas' restaurants. I love pacific nortwest seafood.

This also reminds me that Tom Douglas should be a guest at Epcot's Food and Wine Fest.

FYI- saw the Mickey gnome in World of Disney at Downtown Disney just the other night.

I've seen it here at Epcot, too. That figures since I ordered it for my mom before we left on this trip to make sure she got one.

LOL But to clarify, I did order it well done without the Jello.;)

So for those who have attended so far this yr, what changes have you enjoyed the most and the least?

Sometimes it's the little things. Larger piece of Brown Bread with the Kerrygold Cheese Plate but deleting the Kerrygold Butter that goes with it. Makes it hard to wash down. Just have to buy more beer or wine. Oh I see that was the plan all along. Adding more beer selections this yr but doing away with the "free" Sam Adams tasting. Well you were wedged in there pretty tight anyway and just like the wine seminar they have to throw out the excess pours. Very painful to see.;)

We just had this cheese plate yesterday and it DID come with the Kerrygold butter.

Mmm! How was the Dungeness Crab Cakes with Spiced Remoulade and Piquillo Puree and the Seafood Consommé with Pacific Whitefish Mousseline?

The crab cakes were really nice, light, and had a good flavor. The chef said they were the favorite passed appetizer of the reception. The Consomme was a light dish, but the broth has a really deep flavor. The whitefish mouse was a halibut. The presentation was beautiful - they started with a tower of whitefish and then poured the consomme in around it.

The crab cakes were really nice, light, and had a good flavor. The chef said they were the favorite passed appetizer of the reception. The Consomme was a light dish, but the broth has a really deep flavor. The whitefish mouse was a halibut. The presentation was beautiful - they started with a tower of whitefish and then poured the consomme in around it.

Sounds wonderfully delicious. I'm so jealous. :goodvibes

We just had this cheese plate yesterday and it DID come with the Kerrygold butter.
Good to hear they changed it back.:) Had it 2x earlier in the month and both times the servers just said "Sorry no butter."

Krissalee thanks for letting us Internet dine with you. :thumbsup2
Were there open seats? Looks like it at your table anyway. Thanks.:)

Krissalee thanks for letting us Internet dine with you. :thumbsup2
Were there open seats? Looks like it at your table anyway. Thanks.:)

There were 5 tables that seated 9-10 guests at each table. The table we were at had 3 no-shows! I was definitely surprised to see that, because it was non-refundable, so that was an expensive missed meal. It looked like the rest of the tables were full.

two words: cherry colada!

oh, my - these were our favorites, hands down! My daughter-in-law and I are going to try to duplicate the recipe.

Food-wise, we liked the scallop and the lamb slider from New Zealand, the Lobster & Scallop Fisherman's pie & the cake with Bailey's from Ireland. Also the USA's Lobster Roll and the crabcake & the taco from Mexico.

F & W was a "first" for us, so we have nothing to compare it to, but we were impressed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter