(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
@trishadono wish we ran into each other.. i was parked by the courtyard pool a lot and enjoyed my stay in Sugar Loaf.

Quick Sugar Loaf update: the building is going to get a soft good refurb and some painting, elevator and roof repairs- which is why it shut down after I left. They were starting on the building while we finished up our trip.. and while we stayed there less than a third of the capacity of the building was full which made the lounge sooo quiet.

Just booked a bounce back for Contemporary CL in Aug... so excited!

@trishadono wish we ran into each other.. i was parked by the courtyard pool a lot and enjoyed my stay in Sugar Loaf.

Quick Sugar Loaf update: the building is going to get a soft good refurb and some painting, elevator and roof repairs- which is why it shut down after I left. They were starting on the building while we finished up our trip.. and while we stayed there less than a third of the capacity of the building was full which made the lounge sooo quiet.

Just booked a bounce back for Contemporary CL in Aug... so excited!
I could not get the guys to the pool! They wouldn't leave the lounge lol.

Oh I'm CR cl in July I'll get ya pix!

I got to do poly cl when it first reopened and a quiet lounge is a treat indeed. Glad you had that :goodvibes

So arrival day we went to Epcot at 6pm via Minnie Van. When we got back ds was content to veg in room while I watched HEA and had desserts. When I got back he was so comfy in bed I took the twin. (Dh used to a king).

I love the rolling tables! So many uses. I had my wine and water at night and coffee in the morning. Bed was comfy but not "bed" comfy. Next night ds slept there and he was fine with it too.

Oh something I did was call and request 3 blankets. Us northerners like to be bundled. They were delivered in a timely manner too.

12D07E21-C543-47DA-9C37-A7E98CB943C7.jpeg 4EB97D0E-0647-409E-80AF-A9F485DA8703.jpeg

Last edited:

You all have really been the reason I am looking forward to this trip so much. I mentioned when I first booked it is so that I am away and doing something special with my DH and kids as the first year of my dad's passing rolls around (week of Thanksgiving). DH gave me his blessing to book whatever I wanted and make it a great trip. He is totally NOT a Disney guy, doesn't "get the "cultish following" of some of the fans we know, etc., etc. But basically told me that he wants me to plan it all and he is happy if I am happy, and of course, my 11 and 13 year-olds will be super excited when we tell them we are going.

I guess the point of this post is that since I can't really talk to him about it and I am waiting to surprise the kids until a few days before we leave, I have been on this particular thread every day, looking at pics of the beautiful GF and getting psyched. So THANK YOU!!

169 more days to go until we check into Sugar Loaf!!

Can I have a little bit of help with my requests? I want to double check that I am requesting the correct things and I want to coordinate this with my travel agent.

We are booked in an outer building, standard view. I am most interested in a full balcony and high floor. My next request would be to be away from the elevators. Is the request of "full balcony" enough of a description or do I need to ask for something else? Also, can someone tell me if I need to contact the hotel directly? I was going to have my travel agent make the requests but I'm not sure if that is enough. I am also a member of touring plans if that helps with your advice.

:thanks:

Hello all! First timers here going to stay at GF for our 1 year wedding anniversary. We are not first timers to Disney, in fact we are APs and have been hundreds of times for many staycations and we were married at Yacht Club Gazebo. But we've never stayed at GF and want to do so for 2 nights before our 1st ever Disney Cruise to celebrate 1 year anniversary.

My question is- what are experiences like in staying in outer buildings vs main building? Is it that much of difference? Is main building only for CL? any buildings we should request, or any views we should request in particular? We're thinking garden or standard view for room since cruise will already be a pretty penny and we are also doing 1 year anniversary photo shoot. But just wondering if we will really regret that and won't get the "experience" I envision we would have staying at GF. Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated!!

You all have really been the reason I am looking forward to this trip so much. I mentioned when I first booked it is so that I am away and doing something special with my DH and kids as the first year of my dad's passing rolls around (week of Thanksgiving). DH gave me his blessing to book whatever I wanted and make it a great trip. He is totally NOT a Disney guy, doesn't "get the "cultish following" of some of the fans we know, etc., etc. But basically told me that he wants me to plan it all and he is happy if I am happy, and of course, my 11 and 13 year-olds will be super excited when we tell them we are going.

I guess the point of this post is that since I can't really talk to him about it and I am waiting to surprise the kids until a few days before we leave, I have been on this particular thread every day, looking at pics of the beautiful GF and getting psyched. So THANK YOU!!

169 more days to go until we check into Sugar Loaf!!

174 days to go!!!!!!

Hello all! First timers here going to stay at GF for our 1 year wedding anniversary. We are not first timers to Disney, in fact we are APs and have been hundreds of times for many staycations and we were married at Yacht Club Gazebo. But we've never stayed at GF and want to do so for 2 nights before our 1st ever Disney Cruise to celebrate 1 year anniversary.

My question is- what are experiences like in staying in outer buildings vs main building? Is it that much of difference? Is main building only for CL? any buildings we should request, or any views we should request in particular? We're thinking garden or standard view for room since cruise will already be a pretty penny and we are also doing 1 year anniversary photo shoot. But just wondering if we will really regret that and won't get the "experience" I envision we would have staying at GF. Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated!!
I loved staying in the main building. Having easy access to the lounge and lobby was great. You will hear music of some type from 3pm -10 or 11pm from your room if you are near the lobby. I'm sure the outer buildings are very nice, but the main building was pixiedust: If you don't care about lounge snacks, save money with an outer building, it's a short walk to the lobby and the grounds are beautiful.

Many times I would walk out of my room and just watch what was going on in the lobby. I saw a couple of princess parades where Cinderella was dancing with the kids. There was a singer one morning (a bit loud). The piano player starts at 3 and the band comes on later. One night I came back from the parks and saw a businessman waiting with his luggage on a chair. By the time I got back to my room and looked again, I saw that his wife and children had come down to greet him; they were very excited to see their dad after what must have been a long time away. pixiedust: A lot goes on in that lobby, it's an entertainment venue by itself.

I'm generally a lobby lover but the GF lobby :worship:

Last edited:
View attachment 325532

Had some treats before ME!

Got to see Dispro1 and family again ! So fun traveling with other Disney lovers :)

I’ll get pix posted when I can.

I have lots!
Thats hurts seeing the fine chow and wine but I know you really appreciate it. Have been coming here since it opened in 1988. You'd think we would get over it but it never gets old especially sitting at one of those window table and chairs overlooking the property and water. Keep the reports coming!

So happy for you!

My dd did a Disney institute class at gf and I got conference rate and yep, it's awesome.

Any q's let me know . I go often nov/dec time.

Again, congrats!
Hi trishadono - This will be our first stay at the GF, we normally stay at one of the other MK resorts. Is there a building preference we should request(Knowing nothing is guaranteed)? We too will be there for 7 nights in early November. Any insight on do's/dont's would be greatly appreciated

There’s some buzz on Facebook this morning about Richard Gerth, the Grand Floridian Greeter having some health complications today.

FB news is always a bit suspect, but I’m certainly keeping him in my thoughts today.

We have never stayed st GF. I am staying at a conference over Christmas, there is 5 of us, 3 kids 16, 13, 11. We do usually have a quick service breakfast, my son is autistic and he has to have Mickey waffles every morning, lol. I am planning to ask for Sago Cay, I was going to as for monorail side ( we stayed once at poly with a view of monorail, it was kind of fun). My question is two fold, one do any of those rooms have a side view of MK (we are in standard/ garden) and any thought on the logic of Sago for us. My understanding is it is close to transportation, close to quick service and close to convention, any input appreciated!

Hi trishadono - This will be our first stay at the GF, we normally stay at one of the other MK resorts. Is there a building preference we should request(Knowing nothing is guaranteed)? We too will be there for 7 nights in early November. Any insight on do's/dont's would be greatly appreciated
I have always thought Conch looked good.

BPK is great if like pools sandwiched in between both.

Sago has more water view available that are considered gv.

Have to say gf overall has all great options. :)

We have never stayed st GF. I am staying at a conference over Christmas, there is 5 of us, 3 kids 16, 13, 11. We do usually have a quick service breakfast, my son is autistic and he has to have Mickey waffles every morning, lol. I am planning to ask for Sago Cay, I was going to as for monorail side ( we stayed once at poly with a view of monorail, it was kind of fun). My question is two fold, one do any of those rooms have a side view of MK (we are in standard/ garden) and any thought on the logic of Sago for us. My understanding is it is close to transportation, close to quick service and close to convention, any input appreciated!
We had a sago /mono side room years ago. It would be a good spot for your son. It is easy to get to GGG for those waffles and less people traffic with no pathways below which probably helpful.

I cant remember what i could see from that side. However you should be able to see a bit of something from MK.

Oh so I had a rpc room then a std outer building, the main building thermostat could go down to 65 and I could make the BP (bypass ) show on the screen. At BPK it only went down to 68 and I could not find a way to bypass. So if going in warmer weather and outerbuilding , don't get a dormer room, it's hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter