(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have fallen in love with GF too. We did stay at Animal Kingdom lodge during Thanksgiving week and we loved it. The resort was beautiful and we did feel like we were in Africa. We hope to stay there again, but for this year we have three stays booked and all three involve staying at the Grand. :lovestruc

Stay #1 is a split stay: Yacht club/Grand Floridian
Stay # 2 is a split stay: Boardwalk Inn/Grand Floridian
Stay #3 is strictly Grand Floridian

We find the Grand to be a perfect fit for us as well. We really try to look at other resorts, because we did love the animal kingdom lodge, but we always come back to the Grand.

As Cogsworth says “if it’s not baroque don’t fix it”

Thanks for your reply! :-)
We have an RPC stay booked for September but are already thinking of where we’d like to go on a Bounceback for 2020. Hubby is eyeing CR TPV CL for the great view and the walk to MK, but I don’t think it can compare to GF for so many reasons! Your post made me laugh as we frequently start researching a new resort, yet ‘we always come back to the Grand’! :love:
P.S. I LOVE that you have three stays with GF this year!

Last edited:
DH loved the GF and RPC so much that he invited his sisters and mom back this next year (as our guests) to celebrate his Mom's 90th. I've already booked the rooms - 4 main building, theme park view rooms - for January. (We're taking care of rooms and everyone is one their own for tickets ;-) )

We both thought the rooms at CR were larger and a little nicer, but the club, the view, and taking the boat back from MK were highlights over the room size and being able to walk to MK. And going to the club with the orchestra or pianist playing? Such ambiance! And honestly, I can't imagine any other resort feeling as magical.

DH loved the GF and RPC so much that he invited his sisters and mom back this next year (as our guests) to celebrate his Mom's 90th. I've already booked the rooms - 4 main building, theme park view rooms - for January. (We're taking care of rooms and everyone is one their own for tickets ;-) )

We both thought the rooms at CR were larger and a little nicer, but the club, the view, and taking the boat back from MK were highlights over the room size and being able to walk to MK. And going to the club with the orchestra or pianist playing? Such ambiance! And honestly, I can't imagine any other resort feeling as magical.

What a fantastic way to celebrate with family! You will have an amazing trip- how very exciting!!! :-)
Thank you for your reply. I have already passed it on to hubby to further make my case for returning to RPC again... and again... :rotfl:

Do you know about the deluxe queen rooms? They are only bookable by calling. They would be nice is a family is larger. 2 Q and a queen sleeper for family of 6 if needed.

Also if you all want to be close I understand , however I find the std rooms are more convenient to the lounge steps wise. Maybe at 90 she needs one of those ?

She could always visit your room for a HEA viewing, but she would be closer to morning coffee etc during the day.

Sounds like a wonderful family trip! I hope I'm not bothering you, just trying to give you some ideas.

My family is so different, I knew my mom needed std but dd I'm fine to book deluxe king and let her walk when they stick us on the 2nd floor lol.

Dh and Ds would be fine with either std or TPV. However they don't go on the balcony so I prefer std to be near food. I do prefer 4x23-28 for listening to the music coming up from the lobby. Only done that twice but it's amazing to walk out your room and straight ahead is that majestic lobby below,

Do any GF-lovers ONLY stay at GF (never other resorts)? We are starting to consider this as we love GF so much and feel it’s the perfect fit for us:cloud9:, but don’t want to ‘miss out’ not trying other places.
TIA! :thanks:
We booked a last minute trip and ended up with poly. Absolutely.hated.it
It was noisy. The rooms were dark. We had “garden view” which looked out to garbage cans so every morning I could sit on my ground floor patio and watch garbage being emptied. Yuck. No privacy.

I'm interested to know this as well. We are traveling early June and I am considering a cabana for our arrival day. I didn't realize there were other offerings besides a cabana. So you got a patio for $159.75 for a whole day?

Yes, $159 for 10 AM -7 PM. I am not sure what it consists of, I was hoping someone here would have rented one and had a photo. We really want shade and some space to be able to let the kids walk around in the shade without bothering others, etc. I’m now rethinking that we should just do the half day cabana, so we know what to expect. Realistically, I don’t know that we can stay much more than half day anyway with the toddlers. It’s not like I can sit and relax by the pool at this stage in their life, and since there are 2 both my DH and I have to take them into the pool, leaving the older kids a little bored since they aren’t quite old enough to go swim without us.

Do you know about the deluxe queen rooms? They are only bookable by calling. They would be nice is a family is larger. 2 Q and a queen sleeper for family of 6 if needed.

Also if you all want to be close I understand , however I find the std rooms are more convenient to the lounge steps wise. Maybe at 90 she needs one of those ?

She could always visit your room for a HEA viewing, but she would be closer to morning coffee etc during the day.

Sounds like a wonderful family trip! I hope I'm not bothering you, just trying to give you some ideas.

My family is so different, I knew my mom needed std but dd I'm fine to book deluxe king and let her walk when they stick us on the 2nd floor lol.

Dh and Ds would be fine with either std or TPV. However they don't go on the balcony so I prefer std to be near food. I do prefer 4x23-28 for listening to the music coming up from the lobby. Only done that twice but it's amazing to walk out your room and straight ahead is that majestic lobby below,

You aren't bothering me at all!

DH has 3 sisters. Two of them have grown children and grandchildren. One has a 2nd and 3rd grader (she didn't have kids til she was in her 40's - mom is staying in her room). As we stand right now, "everyone" is planning on coming and if that'st the case, there are 18 adults + 6 kids under 12 + 1 under 1. (WOW! 25 of us). The sisters with grown children are going to have to decide who is staying with us at the Grand (I booked one room per sister) and who will book additional rooms.

I didn't know about the Deluxe Queens so I can ask. We had tried to get one of the suites (Grand, Walt or Roy) but it was already booked (we're checking in Jan 2nd). After staying in the very last room at the end of the hall, DH is convinced everyone will want that theme park view. Mom gets around amazingly right now, however, having a room close to the lounge would be good and I've asked that her room be at least on the same floor as the lounge.

None of the discounts have rolled out for that time of year yet, so we are hoping some good plans open up. I have a feeling some of the rooms may shift. And moving some to standard is probably smart for the walking... I need to pull out my papers from our last trip and look at room locations in the main building for some more ideas. And hope that maybe one of the suites opens up ;-)

We don't have to have exact names for each room until 30 days out according to Disney, but I will feel better if it's all well decided before the FP window opens (Nov. 6).

Yes, $159 for 10 AM -7 PM. I am not sure what it consists of, I was hoping someone here would have rented one and had a photo. We really want shade and some space to be able to let the kids walk around in the shade without bothering others, etc. I’m now rethinking that we should just do the half day cabana, so we know what to expect. Realistically, I don’t know that we can stay much more than half day anyway with the toddlers. It’s not like I can sit and relax by the pool at this stage in their life, and since there are 2 both my DH and I have to take them into the pool, leaving the older kids a little bored since they aren’t quite old enough to go swim without us.

The patio has an extra large over hang umbrella, patio furniture with some cushioned seats and it will most likely be roped off. I would think if you want 100 percent shade the cabana would be the way to go but I'm sure there is plenty of shade under the umbrella as well.

You aren't bothering me at all!

DH has 3 sisters. Two of them have grown children and grandchildren. One has a 2nd and 3rd grader (she didn't have kids til she was in her 40's - mom is staying in her room). As we stand right now, "everyone" is planning on coming and if that'st the case, there are 18 adults + 6 kids under 12 + 1 under 1. (WOW! 25 of us). The sisters with grown children are going to have to decide who is staying with us at the Grand (I booked one room per sister) and who will book additional rooms.

I didn't know about the Deluxe Queens so I can ask. We had tried to get one of the suites (Grand, Walt or Roy) but it was already booked (we're checking in Jan 2nd). After staying in the very last room at the end of the hall, DH is convinced everyone will want that theme park view. Mom gets around amazingly right now, however, having a room close to the lounge would be good and I've asked that her room be at least on the same floor as the lounge.

None of the discounts have rolled out for that time of year yet, so we are hoping some good plans open up. I have a feeling some of the rooms may shift. And moving some to standard is probably smart for the walking... I need to pull out my papers from our last trip and look at room locations in the main building for some more ideas. And hope that maybe one of the suites opens up ;-)

We don't have to have exact names for each room until 30 days out according to Disney, but I will feel better if it's all well decided before the FP window opens (Nov. 6).
This if from page one.
Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Last edited:
It was noisy. The rooms were dark. We had “garden view” which looked out to garbage cans so every morning I could sit on my ground floor patio and watch garbage being emptied. Yuck. No privacy.

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear you had such a negative experience at Poly! I guess it's best to stick with the best (GF obviously! :-))!

even though Boca Chica is our favorite place to stay (awesome views!), DH announced we will be staying the DVC part of GF! It will be so nice to not be separated into 2 hotel rooms with our fingers crossed that they will have adjoining doors. I’ve looked at the videos! even more exciting.

Hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

Do any GF-lovers ONLY stay at GF (never other resorts)? We are starting to consider this as we love GF so much and feel it’s the perfect fit for us:cloud9:, but don’t want to ‘miss out’ not trying other places.

I love the GF, but I also love trying different resorts. The Poly is my favorite overall, but the GF runs a close second. With that said, I tried BWI last year and booked at YC for the first time this June. BWI was absolutely amazing and is definitely a resort I will return to (hoping for a great experience at YC in June). I will eventually return to the GF as it is a fabulous resort, but it's also nice experiencing different ones, IMO :).

Stay #1 is a split stay: Yacht club/Grand Floridian
Stay # 2 is a split stay: Boardwalk Inn/Grand Floridian
Stay #3 is strictly Grand Floridian

Love your splits, best of both worlds :goodvibes.

DH loved the GF and RPC so much that he invited his sisters and mom back this next year (as our guests) to celebrate his Mom's 90th.

Sounds like an awesome trip! Enjoy the planning :wizard:.

Poly is my fav. DH thinks its dark too. I don't get it. The lovely green is so refreshing. Good thing there are many resort options, people can stay where they love it best.:)

I had garbage cans at WL once. I didn't like it and asked to be moved.

Do you remember what building you had at POLY? I don't remember ever seeing cans. I want to make sure I don't get that room next time.

Poly is my fav. DH thinks its dark too. I don't get it. The lovely green is so refreshing. Good thing there are many resort options, people can stay where they love it best.:)

I had garbage cans at WL once. I didn't like it and asked to be moved.

Do you remember what building you had at POLY? I don't remember ever seeing cans. I want to make sure I don't get that room next time.

I’m betting Aotearoa facing south on east end.

GF is definitely a love for my whole family, especially RPC. But recently we stayed a night in Boca Chica lagoon view and fell totally in love with that room/view! So I'm thinking it's the resort itself that has us hooked (though we do not love SL). In any event, yes we do stay at other places too. A lot of times we do a split stay that involves ending up at the GF.

What we've found over the years is that the resort dictates what we do on our trip. Example: we also love the BC and when staying there we plan to end most nights either in Epcot or HS since they're both walkable from BC. There are certain rides at both parks that we like doing in the dark, plus we do enjoy strolling around the World Showcase at night for snacks/drinks and fireworks later on. Now when we stay at GF, we tend to end most nights at MK, understandable as it's an easy boat/monorail ride away. So we plan our trips according to where we are staying.

We have a couple trips in the works. In April we're staying at GF just in a regular room because my DD's want to do the DDP. Then in July we're doing a split stay with Poly CL TPV and YC CL lagoon/water view. So we like to mix things up to keep each trip feeling "different" than the last.

Not really sure how I feel about the news released today that this summer, a new Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique location will be going in in the current Ivy Trellis Salon (salon will be relocated to Senses). While it’s exciting, I feel like the main building is going to be more crowded and noisier (especially for those staying RPC!). Any input? Am I overreacting?

GF is definitely a love for my whole family, especially RPC. But recently we stayed a night in Boca Chica lagoon view and fell totally in love with that room/view! So I'm thinking it's the resort itself that has us hooked (though we do not love SL). In any event, yes we do stay at other places too. A lot of times we do a split stay that involves ending up at the GF.

What we've found over the years is that the resort dictates what we do on our trip. Example: we also love the BC and when staying there we plan to end most nights either in Epcot or HS since they're both walkable from BC. There are certain rides at both parks that we like doing in the dark, plus we do enjoy strolling around the World Showcase at night for snacks/drinks and fireworks later on. Now when we stay at GF, we tend to end most nights at MK, understandable as it's an easy boat/monorail ride away. So we plan our trips according to where we are staying.

We have a couple trips in the works. In April we're staying at GF just in a regular room because my DD's want to do the DDP. Then in July we're doing a split stay with Poly CL TPV and YC CL lagoon/water view. So we like to mix things up to keep each trip feeling "different" than the last.

Thanks for your reply! :-) All wonderful points. You’ve given me a lot to consider!
Hope your upcoming April and July trips are fantastic!

What's SL? Sorry for the newb question....

SL= Sugarloaf. It’s an outer building next to the main building that offers a club level lounge.

Not really sure how I feel about the news released today that this summer, a new Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique location will be going in in the current Ivy Trellis Salon (salon will be relocated to Senses). While it’s exciting, I feel like the main building is going to be more crowded and noisier (especially for those staying RPC!). Any input? Am I overreacting?
No, I do not think you are overacting. I am sure there will be extra foot traffic. The salon isn't huge so maybe that will help a tiny bit. It does make sense with 1900 Park Fare and the Princess Promenade to have princess offerings, but I imagine it will mostly be overflow from MK so people can just jump on the monorail rather than bus to DS.

can I ask a question about the pool area?....Looking at pictures the sun loungers around the main pool seem very close together?...is this the case? can they be moved ?

B6ED6DC1-1EAC-4E8B-B454-0AEDB4C4651B.png 79A0E084-D9E8-4584-BDD8-D2C1D66B7E27.png
can I ask a question about the pool area?....Looking at pictures the sun loungers around the main pool seem very close together?...is this the case? can they be moved ?

The 1st one is a zoomed in pic of the bottom. This is the view from SL FYI.

This section there is space to move around. Dd usually finds here SPOT here. I'll be in the pool :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter