2020 dining plan changes- game changer! DxDP - any plan changes or credit sharing issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I missed it. But has anyone actually confirmed the QS to snacks for child yet? Just wondering if the rumor is all we still have.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what the situation would be for special diets. We are all vegetarians, there are times when only the adult meals has a decent vegetarian option. The kids meals are chicken nuggets or something along those lines.
If the dining plan doesn’t work for your families needs or preferences then you would not purchase the plan and would instead pay out of pocket and order the things that your family can or will eat. There isn’t much if any savings with the dining plan. It was the “loophole” that increased the savings. It was the ability to pay for a child’s dining plan and then purchase expensive adult meals while paying out of pocket for kids meals. You would probably be better off paying out of pocket. One trip we purchased a dining plan, the second trip we paid out of pocket and ate what we wanted when we wanted and actually saved money. Disney would never be able to put together a dining plan that would work for every families needs or preferences. If it works for you as it is intended great, if not you’re not forced to purchase it.

We have family in the Orlando area who often join us for at least a portion of our trip, so we have always used the deluxe plan and shared credits. We have the plan for 4 adults and 1 child, and share across another 4 adults and 2 children. For buffets we would usually use a credit for the kids, but for other table service or signature restaurants we would not. We saved a great deal on dining being able to this.

That said, we are DVC members and I would always wait until only a few days before our trip to add the plan for exactly this reason. I understood what we were doing, while allowed, could be changed by Disney at any time. Our next trip is in February and I will plan to buy TIW instead of using the dining plan based on the recent change. I do feel badly for those that are already on-site and stuck with the plan, but I think we all knew we were taking a risk when we booked it.

It was good while it lasted.

If the dining plan doesn’t work for your families needs or preferences then you would not purchase the plan and would instead pay out of pocket and order the things that your family can or will eat. There isn’t much if any savings with the dining plan. It was the “loophole” that increased the savings. It was the ability to pay for a child’s dining plan and then purchase expensive adult meals while paying out of pocket for kids meals. You would probably be better off paying out of pocket. One trip we purchased a dining plan, the second trip we paid out of pocket and ate what we wanted when we wanted and actually saved money. Disney would never be able to put together a dining plan that would work for every families needs or preferences. If it works for you as it is intended great, if not you’re not forced to purchase it.
I understand what you mean, I get the dining plan for the convenience of not worrying about prices on vacation. Its not about "loopholes". Being vegetarian, it was nice to just be able to find something without having to spend hours of research ahead of time to make sure there is something for us. Just based on previous experience, we would find something for us and the kids but there were the occasional time when my son had to go to the adult menu just cause he couldn't eat the kids' options. Just the lack of restrictions on the credit just made our vacation more relaxing, its not about taking advantage etc.
I have already purchased the dining plan for our trip. If I knew about the added homework I will now need to do, I would have made that decision accordingly. Now I am stuck having to do additional prep work in addition to other things going on.
Even the special meals that are listed for the kids (that I've seen so far) - none of them are vegetarian friendly.

We have family in the Orlando area who often join us for at least a portion of our trip, so we have always used the deluxe plan and shared credits. We have the plan for 4 adults and 1 child, and share across another 4 adults and 2 children. For buffets we would usually use a credit for the kids, but for other table service or signature restaurants we would not. We saved a great deal on dining being able to this.

That said, we are DVC members and I would always wait until only a few days before our trip to add the plan for exactly this reason. I understood what we were doing, while allowed, could be changed by Disney at any time. Our next trip is in February and I will plan to buy TIW instead of using the dining plan based on the recent change. I do feel badly for those that are already on-site and stuck with the plan, but I think we all knew we were taking a risk when we booked it.

It was good while it lasted.

In this scenario, as long as you are using adult credits to treat adults and kids credits for kids you should still be good to go. Sharing is still allowed in 2020 so far. You would not be able to treat an adult with the kids credit at a sit down though.

In this scenario, as long as you are using adult credits to treat adults and kids credits for kids you should still be good to go. Sharing is still allowed in 2020 so far. You would not be able to treat an adult with the kids credit at a sit down though.

We could, but using some of the kids credits for adults and paying OOP for the kids is what made the plan worthwhile. Using two deluxe credit at a signature for my son that only eats chicken nuggets and pasta is too painful.

Usually? Wouldn't it have to be always?

It depends on the cost. Some of the non-character buffets are not that expensive for kids and it is worth paying OOP and using the credit for a more expensive adult meal.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what the situation would be for special diets. We are all vegetarians, there are times when only the adult meals has a decent vegetarian option. The kids meals are chicken nuggets or something along those lines.
It seems that sometimes the vegetarian option is hidden in the allergy menu online, especially for kids. For example, the kids menu on the app only lists chicken or pork rice bowls. The allergy menu clearly shows veggie rice bowls. Also the menu handout at the restaurant showed vegetarian options for both kids and adults. The kids menu also has beef nachos but nachos are also available with veggies (didn’t see a kids option on the app menu but I’m almost positive it was an option in person). Note I’m not sure that just picking the veggie option makes it vegetarian as I’m not a vegetarian, just pointing out that all the options don’t always appear online.

I have three trips planned--this month, March, and June. I am thinking it may be too late to cancel the DDP for this month or is it? I go in 20 days. They are all booked under DVC (renting points).

does it matter then? youre going on three expensive trips but are 2nd guessing the food? does it matter?

We could, but using some of the kids credits for adults and paying OOP for the kids is what made the plan worthwhile. Using two deluxe credit at a signature for my son that only eats chicken nuggets and pasta is too painful.

I understand that Disney allowed it but the reason using two deluxe kids credit for your son is "painful" is because you knew you could use them for adult meals instead which cost a lot more money. Now people have no choice but to use them on kids only so kind of use them or lose them. This just drives it home of how unfair the system was to people/families without under 10's. They had no choice but to pay full price for the ddp if they wanted it without any advantage or loophole to make it "worthwhile" for them. I am so glad Disney finally evened the playing field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter