23 days, 11 states, One minivan, 4300 miles…

:thumbsup2 Your pictures are awesome i have never wanted to go to Yellowstone till now. Now i understand what all the fuss is about what a beautiful place will have to go there on the next after this year trip.
:scared1: That bridge looks scary though!

Next batter up.....More pong.....
This was essentially on the side of the road.
One thing you need to realise that there continue to be earthquakes in and around Yellowstone. It is still a very active area. So things happen and change. Obviously the roads have been put in to 'visit' the sites. But this also means the 'sites' can expand to be closer to the roads.

Anyway...
Side of the road pong ;)

1Volcanicsign.jpg

1SulphurCauldron.jpg

1SulphurCauldron1.jpg

1SulphurCauldron2.jpg

1SulphurCauldron3.jpg

A more enjoyable side of the road attraction...the beautiful rapids

2LeapingRapidssign.jpg

2Rapids.jpg

2Rapids1.jpg

2Rapids2.jpg

2Rapids3.jpg

2Rapids4.jpg

Then we went to the Thermal Gardens. These are also 'bubbling' but the smell isn't the same. This is where those stunning colourful photos come from.
A sign that it isn't so pongy???
Well these guys are happy near there...

3Wildlife.jpg

3Wildlife1.jpg

3Wildlife2.jpg

3Wildlife3.jpg

3Wildlife4.jpg

Hello DEAR!

3Wildlife5.jpg

Just past these guys you find the Thumb Paint Pots

4ThumbPaintPots.jpg

4Thermal.jpg

4ThumbPaintPots1.jpg

4ThumbPaintPots2.jpg

Next up...the Thermal Gardens....

These Thermal Gardens are also in this area with the Thumb Paint Pots and Deer...
They are indescribable. Stunning...
The depth of colour...
No photos do it justice...

4ThermalGardens.jpg

4ThermalGardens2.jpg

4ThermalGardens1.jpg

4ThermalGardensBlackPool.jpg

4ThermalGardensBlackPool1.jpg

4ThermalGardensBlackPool2.jpg

4ThermalGardensPool.jpg

4ThermalGardensPool1.jpg

4ThermalGardensAbyssPool.jpg

4ThermalGardensAbyssPool1.jpg

Blue Tunnel Spring
4ThermalGardensBlueTunnelSpring1.jpg

4ThermalGardensEphedraSpring.jpg

4ThermalGardensPerforatedPool.jpg

:thumbsup2 Your pictures are awesome i have never wanted to go to Yellowstone till now. Now i understand what all the fuss is about what a beautiful place will have to go there on the next after this year trip.
:scared1: That bridge looks scary though!

It's funny. It was on the bucket list...but over the years I was starting to wonder if it really WAS worth all the fuss...

Then I saw the 3 part Yellowstone series on TV last year which reinvigorated the interest.

But reality is different.
It's really quite different to what I ever thought. Not bad...but it's something that it sort of creeps up on you. You gradually get absorbed into it all...

Or was that the gases :scratchin

hmmmm :rolleyes1

Ok just some photos to close out the day...
The sun was going down so we had a quick pit stop into a lovely creek/waterfall
Before getting to Old Faithful at Dusk...

Waterfall1.jpg

Waterfall2.jpg

The photos aren't great as it was very hard to focus on with it being at Dusk...
But I have better ones from our second visit...

Waiting...

DuskOldFaithful1.jpg

Bubbling...

DuskOldFaithful1a.jpg

Thar she blows!!!

DuskOldFaithful2.jpg

DuskOldFaithful2a.jpg

DuskOldFaithful3.jpg

These photos below show a LOT of dead trees...
I'm not sure THESE are technically dead though....I just can't remember their status. They have been doing thinning. But I can tell you WHY there are so many trees that look like this...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gre...bark-pine-ravaged-throughout-yellowstone.html

Part of the article

A decade or so ago, big pockets of rust started appearing as the green pine needles succumbed to infestation and disease. Since then, it's become worse: Unable to fend off invading armies of mountain pine beetles, large swaths of the forest have simply died. An alarming part of the high-elevation landscape across the mountains of Wyoming, eastern Idaho and southern Montana is gradually turning eerie and gray.

In spite of this it is still a beautiful park. But it is very sad :sad2:

WelcometoYellowstone2.jpg

In 1988 there were lots of fires. Many of these fires grew until they became huge fires. It burned a large part of the forrests in the park. It also burned large amounts of forests outside the park.

While Pine Beatles do effect large swaths of forest, the fires burned more forest that summer than the beatles have touched in the area. This is one natural way to destroy the beatles.

It's a cycle. Beatles kill the forest, lightning ignites it. Fire kills the beatles and reseeds the forest. New forest grows. Beatles come to eat the healthy forest.

We spent the night at the LOVELY Three Bears Lodge in West Yellowstone. This burnt down a few years back but has been rebuilt and is lovely. We had dinner in their Restaurant too. By the time we got there we decided a splurge on this was worth it as there isn't a lot around. Not that it's expensive per se...but we generally don't dine out much. We also had our breakfasts here as you get a discount coupon and it was a lovely way to start the day. Filling up and then not having to worry with for a while.

So...one our way back into the park something caught the eye and a couple cars had also spotted it. MR ELK!!! With the most BEAUTIFUL Antlers :cloud9:
I'm obsessed with Moose...and sadly we didn't see any...but a Mr Elk is next best.

MrElk.jpg

Then onward to Old Faithful to get a tour of the Old Faithful Inn.

OldFaithfulInn1.jpg

OldFaithfulInn2.jpg

OldFaithfulInn3.jpg

OldFaithfulInn4.jpg

OldFaithfulInn5.jpg

OldFaithfulInn6.jpg

OldFaithfulInn7.jpg

OldFaithfulInn8.jpg

OldFaithfulInn9.jpg

OldFaithfulInndoor.jpg

The tour was really wonderful and very informative. The lovely clock stopped during an earthquake but has now been repaired.

OldFaithfulInnArchitect.jpg

OldFaithfulInnArchitect1.jpg

OldFaithfulInninside1.jpg

OldFaithfulInninside2.jpg

OldFaithfulInninside3.jpg

OldFaithfulInninside4.jpg

OldFaithfulInninside5.jpg

OldFaithfulInninside6.jpg

OldFaithfulInninside7.jpg

OldFaithfulInninside8.jpg

OldFaithfulInninside9.jpg

Getting photos of the inside are difficult as it is very dimly lit and then there is such bright sun piercing through the small windows.

These are photos of a 'classic' room which we were shown on the tour. I'd NEVER stay there. The walls have been left 'as is' and are not insulated (so you can hear everything your neighbour is doing ;) )
AND you only get a sink...no private bathroom.

It's a beautiful Inn...but I was much much happier staying in West Yellowstone

OldFaithfulInninsideroom1.jpg

OldFaithfulInninsideroom2.jpg

OldFaithfulInninsideroom3.jpg

OldFaithfulInninsideroom4.jpg

Nice pictures! Love the Elk and your pictures inside the Inn are delightful. I love the rustic architecture details.

Was it warm inside?

This is the Brand Spanking new Visitors Centre at Old Faithful.

OldFaithfulVisitorCentre.jpg

OldFaithfulVisitorCentre1.jpg

OldFaithfulVisitorCentre2.jpg

After our tour of the hotel we watched Old Faithful go off again!!
The only 'problem' of such a glorious day was that there wasn't as much contrast in the photos. I could go play in iphoto but I'm too lazy for now...

OldFaithful1.jpg

OldFaithful2.jpg

OldFaithful3.jpg

OldFaithful4.jpg

OldFaithful5.jpg

OldFaithful6.jpg

OldFaithful7.jpg

OldFaithful8.jpg

Then it was off to explore some more of Yellowstone...

First stop Iron Spring Creek

IronSpringCreek.jpg

IronSpringCreek1.jpg

IronSpringCreek2.jpg

IronSpringCreek3.jpg

IronSpringCreek4.jpg

Then Excelsior Geyser

ExcelsiorGlacier.jpg

ExcelsiorGlacier1.jpg

ExcelsiorGlacier2.jpg

ExcelsiorGlacier3.jpg

ExcelsiorGlacierCrater.jpg

ExcelsiorGlacierCrater1.jpg

Emerald Pool

EmeraldPool1.jpg

EmeraldPool2.jpg

EmeraldPool3.jpg

Stinkin' gorgeous photos again!

Loving my Old Faithful tour, Queenie! Thanks for sharing!

Next onto Grand Prismatic Spring

GrandPrismaticSpring.jpg

GrandPrismaticSpring1.jpg

GrandPrismaticSpring2.jpg

GrandPrismaticSpring3.jpg

Opal Pool
OpalPool.jpg

OpalPool1.jpg

OpalPool2.jpg

More Bison.....

MoreBison1.jpg

MoreBison2.jpg

Emerald Spring

EmeraldSpring.jpg

EmeraldSpring1.jpg

EmeraldSpring2.jpg

Steamboat Geyser

SteamboatGeyser.jpg

SteamboatGeyser1.jpg

SteamboatGeyser2.jpg

Cistern Spring

CisternSpring.jpg

CisternSpring1.jpg

CisternSpring2.jpg

Veteren Geyser....poor old thing.....bit of tautology too...

VeterenGeyser.jpg

VeterenGeyser1.jpg

VeterenGeyser2.jpg

VeterenGeyser3.jpg

Some more pools and geysers...

MorePools.jpg

MorePools1.jpg

MorePools3.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics they are something to see. I love seeing the wild life. I may never get there so at least I can visit in here.

Thanks for posting the pics they are something to see. I love seeing the wild life. I may never get there so at least I can visit in here.
Thank you for the kind comment. :hug:
I didn't expect to get her so 'soon' as we travelled mostly in Winter. But we got amazing weather even at the very end of the season in October.

I hope people to get to visit here. Especially Aussies who often just go to the West Coast and/or East Coast and leave out the middle...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter