• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

365 days of healthy choices... Year #3 starts with post 356, comments welcome!

I am glad that you are still here also.

I read that on the CB also and am thinking of trying it. I might also have to take the dog.

I'm working on doing it every night. Have you looked at the walk jog run website? I LOVE it! you can create routes to walk and it will tell you how far it is. We mapped it and then drove it with a car to double check and it is pretty accurate. This way I know in advace how far I need to walk to make it a 3 mile walk.

Keep up the great work Vija!! You are doing awesome!!!
Thank you so much! I love reading all of the supportive comments. It really does make a difference!

So today I worked a bit later than I had been, but I was still determined to get in a walk. the problem started at work... I wanted to finish my water bottle, (second one for the day) and drank 3/4 of the water bottle right as I was leaving work. Got home, dinner on the table thanks to a wonderful DH and I had my dinner with more liquids to drink.... (See where this is going???) So we rest just a few minutes and off we go for our walk. We are 1 mile in and I look at DH and ask that very critical question... WHERE IS THE NEAREST BATHROOM????:scared: And I really needed to go!!! We really didn't have a lot of choices, so we walked back to the park and thankfully the bathroom was open. But as we were getting closer, I was walking ever so carefulll!:tiptoe::rotfl: So many lessons learned here! Not to chug lots of water shortly before walking 3 miles, and make sure to plan in at least a bathroom nearby just in case. I've never had an issue like that before!

Lots of healthy choices today. For work I didn't want chips at lunch so I made a cauliflower salad, and also I noticed that I hadn't been bringing fruit to lunch, so today I had an apple and really enjoyed it. got my walk in, obviously lots of water;), and no McDonalds. I did have chips at night, but portioned it into a bowl and enjoyed it slowly. :thumbsup2

We were out shopping for DD's new swimsuit. I thought I might try some on as well, as my old one is worn out. I do have a back up, but thought it might be nice for a new one...:sad2::scared1::headache:

Oh, I tried some on, and they looked ridiculous! HORRIBLY ridiculous. What was I thinking ridicuous???!!!! I guess even though I feel better for going 27 days now, this made me realize how long of a road I have. At least I have taken 27 steps in the right direction. In the past I might have just binged on food, but not today!:cheer2: We came home and went for a walk. It is actually 3.1 miles long. It felt a little easier today. Even with a heat advisory. It wasn't even that hot, so I don't know what the fuss was about. 3 days now we have done 3 miles. I am so excited.

Oh, and no Mcdonad's!

:thumbsup2 I weighed myself in the middle of the week just before we started this 3 mile daily walking plan and I was up 1# from my weigh in on the weekend. Sooooo, I am down 4.4 from my highpoint this week, down 3.4# total for the week!!!!
AND I am down 11.4 total so far since I started this journal 4 weeks ago!!!!!:cheer2:

I am sooo happy! I even had to weigh in 1 day early because we won't be home tomorrow morning, so this is outstanding.

I am in 1 month and this makes me realize just truly how fast time is going, and it is so important to seize the moment now to get healthy. Otherwise I am sure that I would have spent the last 4 weeks gaining more weight.

wide awake If you are reading this, thank you so much for your words of wisdom about walking being OK. Between you and the post on the CB I have found something that is REALLY working for me!

DH and I got up early this morning and did our walk early. It was very nice. I am only concerned because doing it at night is a very good snack deterrent. I don't feel like snacking. Today we will be up north and I know we will have a campfire with smores and hot dogs. LOVE that, and haven't had it in a long time. I do want them, so knowing that in advance I will do my best to eat wisely all day long so I can enjoy it guilt free tonight. I just hope I don't over indulge. I will have to keep my goal in mind...

I don't think I have shared that yet with you. We are going on the Disney Fantasy cruise next year and for formal night I want to wear a long, beautiful dress and look "foxy"!;) I have more goals for sure, but that is one I am really looking forward to.

You sound as if you are doing great! Don't let the swimsuit try on get you down. Nobody enjoys that, unless they're a 15yr old gymnast. I'm glad you've decided to do what YOU like and can do, and not what others say you should do. It sounds as if you're making good choices w/ your food too. If I really like something I let myself have it, I plan for it, just as you've started to do. It makes it more enjoyable too, if you're really hungry for it and you know you don't have to feel guilty while you're eating it. From what I've read you've also added in more fruits and veggies. That is perfect! Your goal sounds reasonable, by the time the cruise comes up you'll have your choice of sexy black dresses. 11.4 pounds is incredible for one month.

We went up to my parent's cabin over night, and we had a great time! Yes, I did have the smores and hot dog, they were soooo yummy! The smore was amazing, my DD bought the new HUGE marshmallows, Have you had these yet? they are huge! I did pull back on my eating at lunch and dinner, and had the treats.

Some highlights:
I helped mow the lawn (extra exercise!)
We went swimming yesterday and today (my Dad jumped in too, and our dog went crazy, loving being in the water
We went geocaching
We went for a 3 mile walk up there (DS joined us, so that was really fun)
went for a mile walk last night
watched the stars come out
watched the sunset on the pier
watched fireworks go off all the way around the lake. At one point I counted 12 different firework areas.
Did a little shopping
spent time chatting with Mom and Dad
Did some reading
enjoyed the campfire
My mom made her traditional "up north breakfast crepes"

it was a great relaxing time!:thumbsup2

wide awake: You really made me laugh with the 15 yr old gymnast comment! :laughing: I guess that is very true. We did go shopping, and I got shorts and 1 set of capris, I was very happy that they fit easier, so that wasn't so traumatic. I have been wanting more veggies, and ***GASP*** without dip! :upsidedow that is another milestone for me. I would always have dip with my veggies, now I just take a few of the variety of veggies, and eat them plain, and they taste good!

So excited to start week 5. I had to go back and think, but it really has been 4 weeks so far, This journey is amazing, time is flying, and I am feeling better!

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Holiday!

This has been a great day! This morning I helped with flags (the boyscouts put flags up at the VFW), then DH and I went for our walk. (still doing our 3 mile daily walk) we had a simple lunch, (sandwhich, raw veggies, watermelon and strawberries). Simple and healthy! then Cleaned around the house. Went to the parade. Came home and made the most amazing cheesecake stuffed strawberries. (saw the thread on the CB about these, they were so good!) I had a little bit of the fixins, but not too bad. I had 2 completed strawberries. I had them with NO GUILT! because I was able to just have a few and move on. I AM SOOO PROUD OF MYSELF! For dinner we had again a simple summer dinner. Grilled brats, veggies, more fruit, some chips. I had just a few chips. Had some after dinner, but NOT MANY! I am so proud of myself for just having a few and not going "hog wild". I can't believe how much I was able to resist today, I don't feel deprived, and in fact am quite proud!:thumbsup2

Looking forward to the fireworks tonight!

So I started this journey on June 5th and can not believe that it is already July 5th! I have said it before, but it truly is amazing how quickly time goes. This time will pass one way or another and it is up to me to decide how I want to pass the time. Looking back with regret, or looking back with pride. I am so pleased right now. I know I struggled in WK 3, and I made it through and am doing well. I also have been walking now for 7 days... 3 miles each day... I have to admit I am a little tired today, Up late for the fireworks, I think I will be going to bed early. I am anxious to see how this is working, but I will not weigh myself till weigh in day, I don't want to goof up this system I have working for me!

And no snacking after dinner!:thumbsup2

Good job! And enjoy holidays. You may not be 100%, but if you think about what you used to do...a huge improvement.

THis is one of those days where you just don't have the energy. I have had early starts for work, and Monday night we were up late for the 4th so I haven't had the sleep that I would like. Amazing how important that sleep is, I feel a bit worn out, and didn't get much done (not really anything;)) at home tonight...

BUT I did walk! DH and I did the 3 mile walk, kind of glad we did it early in the evening. I have been really lucky the weather has been cooperating with my walking plan. I guess I better start planning contingency plans with the rain that will eventually come.

Good job! And enjoy holidays. You may not be 100%, but if you think about what you used to do...a huge improvement.

That is so true, I often think at night what I would have eaten that day if I hadn't been changing my ways. It is a positive way to focus on healthy changes vs looking at how "perfect" or "not perfect" I followed a plan. And it is amazing how much more I would have eaten, and not exercised. I REALLY like focusing on that!:flower3:

So in the past, in addition to what I ate today, I would have had 4 breakfast sausages added to breakfast. For Lunch a full sized sub roll instead of a 1/2, lots of butter, 2 servings of chips, After work probably 1/3 bag of chocolate chips. Between after work and aftter dinner I would have had 3/4 of a big bag of chips, and 3/4 of a tub of sour cream, followed by more chocolate chips. With dinner I would have had more noodles and added butter.

It feels VERY freeing to think of the happy, healthy choices I made, instead of calculating what I did eat, and how close to "perfect" would that calorie number be? I actually feel "deprived" when I count calories and then limit what I can and can't have. This way I just look back on the day, note what a mess it could have been, instead made some great choices, and feel good about it!:woohoo:

:banana: I put my scrub top on Wednesday and it seemed looser around the hips. yesterday a different top seemed snug like usual, and then again today different top was loose again!!!!!! I think that it is working!!!!! Very slowly I'm shrinking and couldn't be happier. I know I still have a LONG way to go, but that was surely a boost to my confidence that I am on the right path. Still focusing on my 3 mile walks, and eating less. Still eating what I want at my meals, but A LOT less snacking and better choices. For example tonight I wanted a few chips, had just a few and then came on the DIS and soon to bed. In the past it would have been the bag, the couch, the TV and eat till either I'm stuffed or no more chips in bag!

Small little stepping stones.... on the way to big success!

So this is the 10th day of walking 3 miles a day, and it is getting a little easier. Some of the hills are hard, but getting easier! And tonight we were rewarded with lots of lightning bugs.

I have to say one of the best things about the walks is that DH and I spend so much more time just talking. This has given us a wonderful opportunity to just talk. No more just catching up at the dinner table, or on the way to this activity or that activity. What a bonus and benefit! I just love my DH so much!:love:

Oh, it was so hard not to step on the scale this week. I am so excited though... I lost 3.6 pounds this week! :banana: that makes 15.4# total. I am so happy that it is working! And I don't really feel like I am depriving myself. I am trying to allow some treats here and there and not go overboard. the only thing I have really cut back on is McDonalds. Haven't been there in a while, must be about 10 days.

Onto another week... I need to be strong this week, I have to admit I am a bit nervous, because I tend to do great for a couple of weeks and then falter. I don't want to slide backwards. Must stay strong! Think happy thoughts for me this week!

Off to change my clippie to a 15# loss!:woohoo:

Great job on the weight loss. Think positive...you used to falter at two weeks. Now that you're doing a more sensible plan there is no need to backslide. Baby steps. I know I figured out years ago that at that point, about 4-5 years into my walking program, I'd walked off enough calories to equal 50 pounds.

First to Wide awake, thank you so much for the words of support. I like the idea of counting the calories from the walking. I may have to do that!

Today was a great day! I had the honor of helping a scout from my DS's boyscout troop with his Eagle Scout Project. He is collectim money for the Children's hospital. Today a portion of that money went to buying toys, crafts, books, etc for the kids. they chose our family to help and it was an honor. My DD got the list for the girlie stuff and I kept tabs so we didn't go over our budget. It really was a great experience!

DS is going to present his proposal to the parent commitee tomorrow. I sure hope it goes well. Hopefully his project will be approved soon so he can get started on fund raising.

Aside from that I got a lot done today! We got our walk in early and I spent a lot of time working on our vacation. I am soooo excited because we are going to go to Disneyland for 2 days!!!:woohoo: I am just so excited. and the kids don't know!:ssst: We are going to surprise them. When we leave Las Vegas we will just tell them that we are headed to the Grand Canyon but probably won't make it in a day so we will have to spend the night somewhere on the way. We will just see how long it takes them to figure out where we are going!:yay: all this since our walk yesterday. We talked about it and DH said OK!

So now that is really incentive for the weight loss plans... financially too as I did not originally plan on budgeting for this.

I am sooo completely excited!

So today my DS presented his Eagle Scout project to the parent commitee and they approved it! I am very proud of him. He did a great job with the presentation. He still has steps he has to take, and he is slowly getting these things done.

I got another walk in today. When we are busy at night, it is hard to fit in the walks, but we did it. Hard today as it was right after work, and I am on my feet all day, so they were a bit tired, and it was so HOT today. But I am doing better and my endurance is getting better.

Wow! Awesome for your son! I can't wait until DS is at that point. He has a long way to go, he is just going into 6th grade. Just dropped him off at camp on Sunday, and he should hopefully be coming home with 6 merit badges this week.

Congrats the first step for your son to Eagle. I have two Eagles and have worked with many more. My dh is currents meeting with potential Eagle candidates to approve their proposals at council level and then he gets to sit on their final Boards of Review.

I wish I was going back to DL. I was there 33 years ago on our honeymoon and have never been back. We wanted to go for the 50th (which also happens to be mine and dh's 50th birthday) but we never made it.

COngrats on the weight loss.

Wow! Awesome for your son! I can't wait until DS is at that point. He has a long way to go, he is just going into 6th grade. Just dropped him off at camp on Sunday, and he should hopefully be coming home with 6 merit badges this week.

Oh my gosh, how time flies. It seems like my DS was just starting 6th grade, now he is one of the older boys in the troop. they grow up too fast! Hope your DS is enjoying his week at scout camp. Where does he go to scout camp? Our troop goes to Bear Paw, not too far from Green Bay.

Congrats the first step for your son to Eagle. I have two Eagles and have worked with many more. My dh is currents meeting with potential Eagle candidates to approve their proposals at council level and then he gets to sit on their final Boards of Review.

I wish I was going back to DL. I was there 33 years ago on our honeymoon and have never been back. We wanted to go for the 50th (which also happens to be mine and dh's 50th birthday) but we never made it.

COngrats on the weight loss.

Congrats on your 2 Eagles! It is such a long road. As a parent I say thanks for working with the boys. I know I am very appreciative of the parents that give so much to the troop, hope the parents in your troop appreciate all that you and your DH do too. I am so excited to go back to DL. I wish you could go back soon. It was amazing and I am sure it would have great memories for you. Last time I "overplanned" using Ride Max and trying to get in every possible ride. I didn't stop to smell the roses. I hope to rectify the situation this time. I think back to when I went to WDW with just me and DD. We went to 2 nights of the MNSSHP. First night I was in charge, the second night I let her pick whatever we did. I had so much more fun and it was so much more enjoyable. I think that as much as my mind wants to do ridemax again, my heart is telling me to slow down, smell the roses and let someone else take charge that day so we can just be in the moment. Ahhh, and so I ramble...

THank you to both of you for commenting and sharing this journey with me!

So today I had a meeting at work early, and I was scheduled to start my shift 4 1/2 hours later, and then work late tonight. What is a walker to do? Well, I got up early and I walked 2 miles to work, and then walked 2 miles home afer the meeting! I think I should give myself a round of applause for that! Just waking up early is an accomplishment for that... I guess that goes under the determination part.

A revelation...
As I was walking to work, a coworker honked his horn and gave a shout out to me. It made me smile and I thought to myself... Wow, there are so many people out there that are supporting me, wishing for me to succeed, congratulating me on my accomplishments... big and small... I should be my own biggest cheerleader, I should be leading the group in wanting me to succeed. As the saying goes "I should get out of my own way".

It gave me an extra bounce in my step and a little more confidence and drive. I ate great when I came home from my meeting, and did not snack after dinner. As much as I wanted to, I held back. AND I went to the store to get milk. In the past I would also have gotten a smorgasboard of "treats", chocolate, chips, dip, etc. Not this time. I went in and only bought milk! There too I made a great choice!

so here I am cheering my way on to victory!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Oh my gosh, how time flies. It seems like my DS was just starting 6th grade, now he is one of the older boys in the troop. they grow up too fast! Hope your DS is enjoying his week at scout camp. Where does he go to scout camp? Our troop goes to Bear Paw, not too far from Green Bay.

I wondered if you were close to me, based on talking about the weather in your posts. Yes, my DS is up at Bear Paw. I am so excited for him to come home to hear how the week went!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter