4.5 year old - BTMRR or Mine Train?

eeyoregirl13

Mouseketeer
I'm planning out Fastpasses for our upcoming trip and am deciding between booking one for Mine Train or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I would be bringing my 4.5 year old son on the ride, which one would you recommend for that age? Thanks!!!

My kids loved both at that age. I'd do a FP for Mine Train though. Line shorter for BTMRR, and additional FP more likely to be available later in day.

Has your son done any roller coasters before? If your unsure I'd fast pass the 7 dwarf mine train because that one will go and it is geared as a first roller coaster experience (very smooth and not too fast). If he likes it then head over and to Big Thunder if he doesn't like it then definitely skip Big Thunder as that is faster and jerkier then the 7 dwarf mine train ride.

Thank you - that is a great plan!!! I wasn't sure which one was more intense. He did well on Barnstormer last year but hasn't been on any coaster other than that yet

I would try for both! My son first rode BTMR when he was that age, and he loved it! 7DMT wasn't open yet at that time, but I'm sure he would have loved that too.

Try 7DMT first.
I tried it with my 4 year old but he was miserable.
Don't think he's quite ready for roller coasters yet...

I'd say both, but do 7DMT first. I find that one to be a less intense experience. Big Thunder is pretty jerky.

Big Thunder is def a bit more intense so agree with those who recommended 7DMT first. We really like Big Thunder and you should certainly try it if he likes 7DMT. Frankly think that Thunder is a much better ride.

Also, riding towards the back of the trains will be more intense than riding up front. It's that way on both coasters. In fact, the front rows on both are pretty tame.

Both! My DS5 (just turned 5) had issues with the loudness of BTMRR, but second time through with ear plugs, loved it. He loved mine train too. Guess with regards to FP I would use it on Mine Train as the wait will most likely be longer. We rope dropped one day at MK did Splash and BTMRR walk on and used FP for Mine Train later that morning.

My 4.5 year old DS also loves both. I'd FP 7DMT and either do BTMRR at rope drop or later stand-by. When we've done it at rope drop, we can easily ride 3 times with no more than 5-7 minute wait. My DS is quite adventurous so that helps too.

We just took nephew 3.75 years old for the first time. he loved the mine train and big thunder and Dinosaur and Tower of Terror. I am sure he would have loved Expedition Everest and Rock 'n Rollercoaster he he was tall enough. oddly enough he wanted off of it's a small wrole. He liked the animals but not the dolls and hid his head?​

Just brought our 4.5 year old DD, and we did both. We started with BTMR for nostalgic reasons - it was going to be her first roller coaster, and both DH and I have memories of riding BTMR as our first roller coaster at around that age. She loved it and immediately wanted to go again. I knew she would, as she is my little daredevil. 7DMT is much smoother and less intense, as others have said, so I would recommend starting with that one if you aren't sure how your son will react.

DD liked 7DMT even better than BTMR, I think because of the cute little scenes. This 30-something mom who hadn't been on roller coasters in 15+ years preferred the 7DMT too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter