400 or 800 speed film??

Susie-Q

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm leaning towards the 800 because it sounds like it could be good for any time of day but I really don't have a clue. Any WDW photo experts out there?

I use 800 for the night time parades and fireworks and 200 or 400 during the day.

Generally, the lower the speed, the higher the quality (sharpness) of the picture.

Wow, I did not know that at all - I thought the higher the speed, the sharper the picture. Good thing I asked!

Higher speeds are good for action...they "stop" it, and it will give you a better picture than if you tried to do it with a 200 speed, for example.

However, if you took a picture in sunshine of something relatively still, the lower speeded picture will be sharper.

It's all so confusing. I'm sure someone who is a better photographer than I am will chime in.

I am by no means an expert--my camera is just a simple Minolta point and shoot (with a zoom lense--gotta have that!).

That said, I always use the 800 speed. I know that the lower speeds give sharper pictures. But I like to take action shots, so that speed gives me that capability. I have been happy with the photos overall, even the daytime ones in bright sunshine. Nice clear bright colors, etc. Using the higher speed gives me good shots in a variety of settings. We even got some good photos of MSEP last trip!

I just got 14 rolls of film developed from Disney and Super Soap Weekend. I used my 800 speed film for night shots that I have used 400 for in the past....mistake. I was hoping the 800 would be better with action/night shots, but the quality of the 800 speed photos was very disappointing. I think I am finally resolved to only using 400 speed film from now on.
Just my opinion.

Higher speed film will stop action, but produces a grainy image, especially if you enlarge the photo at all. I would suggest 400 for multi purpose use - it's versatile and will produce sharper pictures than the higher speed. That said, on a bright sunny day you will get sharper pictures with 200. It all depends on how many pictures you take.... I tend to carry some of each because it takes me about 10 minutes to shoot a roll of film!

I love using the higher speed for sports during daylight though - but I do have a 2.8 professional zoom and an autowinder! :D

I used my 800 speed and took a picture of my husband and son on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. They were wizzing (sp??) by when I snapped three pictures. The pictures were clear as can be and you can tell where they are sitting. That was just my first experience with 800. Before that I always used 400.

..just don't use 800 speed on a very bright day. I used 200 speed film during the day and 800 speed at night. They both worked fine for me. I also tried using black and white (normally 400 speed) and the pics didn't turn out too bad either. :)

I've made the mistake many times of using 800 for everything just to be really disappointed by my picture quality. I talked to the guy at the photo lab and he said generally 400 is the best to use, unless like someone else said, you're shooting pictures at night or in dark places.

I've always used 400 at WDW, and in the Caribbean, and my pictures always turn out well. I have a cheap camera too..

I get the best results overall with 200 speed film. The pictures are sharp, and never dark. I have even taken some night time photos of the fireworks and they came out pretty good! I didn't have good results with 400 or 800 speed. I have a Chinon camera 35mm zoom, and 200 works the best in it.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I have manual SLR and use 100 speed film almost exclusively. (There are exceptions, but not for general vacation shots.) 100 speed definitely gives the very best quality pictures. I simply change the settings and/or use the flash when needed. And, 100 speed film also works in the automatic point and shoot cameras too. It's the very best option for outdoor shooting on a sunny day, and works fine indoors with a flash as well.

Since most of your subjects will be moving at one time or another, I recommend the 800 speed for everything. I love the quality. Also, the guy at the camera shop in our local mall highly recommends Fuji film over Kodak. I buy it at WalMart and save alot over buying Kodak. Just my 2 cents worth.......

We try to cover all bases. I use 400 speed in our point and shoot 35mm- have had a hard time with the parades though I think that' because the flash goes off and messes up the auto focus.-There are three of us - we always carry one other camera with 200 speed film - usually a disposable - that's great for pictures with characters. Also - don't forget to buy and take a disposable water camera for the water parks.

just my own opinion, but I'd say 100 or 200 for the days, 400 with a flash for at night. The quality will be SO much better!

:)

When I was there last January, I used all 100 speed film. I am a stickler for having crisp photos. That worked most of the time, with the typical sunny Florida atmoshere. However, my nighttime photos didn't come out, not surprisingly. I plan on taking 2 cameras this year, with the cheaper one carrying 800 speed film. I had 400 speed film with me last year but I never seemed to use up the 100 speed film in time.

I really want to get some photos of the fireworks, so I might take a travel tripod too.

BTW, I carry my camera stuff in a diaper bag - not many people would want to steal a diaper bag!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter