• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5/16/01----A Day that will live in infamy---I sound like F.D.R. !!!!

john59

<font color=navy>GOD BLESS <font color=red>AMERI
:confused:

We left the Boardwalk at a Pin Meet, 5/15/01 in the PM.

Dinosaur Gerti, an LE of 1000 was going on sale at MGM.

I was given directions on how to get to the Main Gate of MGM. At 11.30PM we (Shirl & I) would make a preliminary pass, to make sure that we did not get lost at 4AM the next morning. We found it, but decided to make a second pass, so that I would not miss any landmarks the next morning. Going through the MGM Main Gate the second time, it started pouring rain.

Shirl said pullover. We wound up being the 13th car in line. I WAS ABOUT TO LIVE IN THIS 2 DOOR SUNDANCE for the next 5 or 6 hours.

As other peeeples pulled up, this reminded me of a football tailgate party, but in the middle of the night.

I really admire you guys and gals ; true Pin Addicts. I reached up to my temples turning my screws to see if they were loose.

The bracelets were given out at 5 AM and a quick and fast count at 4:30AM was 5 lines of cars, with about 30 cars to a line.

This was a 1st for me, but there has to be a better system. I gave up sleeping in a $150 bed, for the front seat, back seat and trunk of that SUNDANCE. Trying to sleep in that car, nothing worked. BLESS YOU, my PIN ADDICT FRIENDS, it appears there is no barrier high enough, for you guys and gals to conquer.
john59
PS: I am glad, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'---that's about all I am saying about the GERTI PIN.

as tall as you are John I am sure you had very little sleep in that car....poor you...and with your allergies on top of that.....You must love Shirley alot to suffer threw so much pindamonium........LOL....by the way I love the Gertie pin...as its my nickname

cindy

John, LOL!! We enjoyed meeting you & Shirley. Sorry you came back sick - so did my husband. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for the first hand report. I read it out to the kids and they were ROFL.

That should be a real hat pin!

Denise

Not so sure we should be admired John. I know Shirley loves you even more for doing that with/for her. Why didn't you post what you guys got while you were there?

Little did I know when I first saw Shirley at DTD that I would see her long enough for one hello , one hug and then you would beckon her from the toy store. By time you two returned the DTD meet was in full swing.
I think I barely got to ask you about the hat.

Funny how those things go. Ya think, "oh John and Shirley will be here for several days, I'll have plenty of time to see them and spend with them" and then, I think the only other time I saw you two was when we were in line for the MGM event. I don't think our paths ever crossed again.

I am sorry for that. Tell Shirl that I will make a point of seeking her out next time I know she is coming. Will we be able to talk you into doing it again? I'd offer my car but it's just a tiny 2-seater, even less room for sleeping.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is any reason to waste $ on a room at all. hahahahaha

I LOL at this post, but then ROFLMAO when I got an e-mail from Shirley offering the Gertie pin in a trade! What a hoot being offered to trade for a pin that has such a rich history behind it!! I'd never be able to look at it without imagining poor John cramped in that little Sundance all night!

~Nancy~ (still ROFLPMP)

John,

Next time you have to sleep in the car, here is a great tip. Run into the car in front of you doing about 10 MPH. That should be enough to engage the airbag. For the rest of the night, you will at least have a pillow to lay your head on.

Jeff

As I remember it:

At approximately 2:30 AM, on this famous adventure, with my head in the trunk of the hatchback and my size 13 foot caught in the front seat head rest, my DW says 'would you stop jumping around'.

With the windows fogged up and the car dancing around the parking lot, she then says "WHAT DO THE PEOPLE OUTSIDE THINK"

I told Shirley that I do not have the foggiest idea what these Pin Addicts think, but wait till I roll the window down a tad and scream. That should give everyone something to talk about.

You wouldn't dare----Don't bet me

Well I did chicken out, but I bet it would have been fun.
To my DW---there may be a next time !!!! John

Oh you would not have believed that night. First he was trying to sleep in the seat with the steering wheel.

Then it was to my side.
Then he discovered the seats folded down.
Then he discovered the back seats folded down into the trunk.

It was so funny everyone was coming along and knocking on the window saying Hi John got any sleep yet.
We saw Suzi, Ward, Candy, Nat, Scott. Cindy,Joanie and family I know I forgot a lot of names.
But I did make a good friend with the MGM guard there.
She let us get drinks and use the bathroom and we were going to ask her if we could make coffee but I though that would have been a bit much.
And the Kicker of it all is THE GERTIE PIN IS UGLY.
Would I do it again. In a heartbeat but not at Midnight. Would John do it again I don't think so.
So what happens if you don't have a car. Can you take a taxi and let him drop you off with a sleeping bag.
I really need to know this.

Oh I forgot to mention when we finally got back to the room which was 9.18am. John said something was wrong with the clock. He was trying to reset it to who knows what time.

Hey Shirley if you dont like the Gertie Pin...I mean ahhhh if you think its ugly.....I would like to offer you.....

4 pieces of bazooka bubble gum
1 broken purple crayon
a piece of pocket lint
2 copper pennies
and cold glass of Nestles Quick

LOL!!! whatcha think.....the ultimate trade dontcha think, ohhhh ok and I will throw in a pillow for John for the August event.....

PLMK
Cindy;) ;) ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter