5 Days at Disneyland

Blndiebby25

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone,

New to the boards. My family is planning a trip to Disneyland (End of May to beginning of June). :cheer2:

There will be 12 of us 6 adults and 6 kids (4,5,7,8,12,13). :earseek: We are looking at spending 5 days at the Disneyland Resort but there are a few of us that are wondering it that is to much time to spend there. What do you think, will the kids get bored spending 5 days at Disneyland Resort? :confused3

Thanks in advance,
Jen

I doubt that anyone will get bored. 5 days will make it so that you won't feel too rushed, you will be able to take breaks during the day for swimming and resting, and you will be able to enjoy your favorite rides several times. Sometimes when you go with a large crowd like this, you need to spend more time coordinating your days. You'll want to allow time for that. And if your budget will afford it, you'll have more opportunities to enjoy some of the fun shopping and dining spots at the parks, resorts, and DTD.
You can get by with fewer days, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially with a large group. Have a great time!

We spent around 4 (some of us were there 5, some 4 days) days there with a group of 12 ranging in age from 3 to 80. Even though my husband and I are seasoned Disneyland addicts, the rest of our party didn't get to see anywhere near everything. I was amazed at how that many people with that large of an age range changed our usual park dynamics. Normally for instance when just my husband and two kids (8, 10) go we can ride Splash Mountain at the same time. With that group we had to divide up, take turns so that my two nieces who were 3 and my elderly, ill mother wouldn't be left alone. Eating at a counter service was also more complicated and time consuming. I agree with CalGal, if you have 5 days, you can really feel like you got to see it all and take advantage of down time, shopping and swimming at your resort pool. Also, it looks like that you will be there for Memorial Weekend so that will be a very crowded time. The first of June after Memorial Day should clear out. I would recommend you all get there as soon as the park opens each day, you will be surprised at how much you can get done before the bulk of the crowds arrive. Then you can take a break to have a nice sit down lunch, shop and swim, then go back to the parks in the evenings for fireworks and parades. Also, I highly recommend character meals, those are so much fun with a big group! Have a great trip!

Thanks for the replies. You are reiterating what I have been trying to tell my group. My brother is afraid the younger kids will get bored but I think if we take the 5 days we can go back to the hotel for lunch, swim, relax/nap and go back in the late afternoon/early evening. We won't be rushed, etc. My father wants this to be the best vacation ever and not the vacation from hell.

Amy&Dan - good point about Memorial day. Being in Canada we never thought about that. We picked these dates as it will be over my parents 30th anniversay.

Any other opinions would be great, so I can let my group know it is not just me (being a Disneyland virgin) thinking it would be a good idea but experienced Disneyland visitors that think so also.

Thanks again,
Jen

I agree with everything Amy&Dan said.

I wouldn't try to spend every minute together. Spend some time together as a group, but also break up at times so that little ones can re-ride Small World while thrill seekers re-ride Splash or California Screamin'. Unless you have cell phones with unlimited international roaming, you might want to bring some family shortwave radios to help you keep in touch when you split up. It's nice to get ones that have lots of channels.
To get a nice spot for the first Fantasmic show or even a parade, you have to get your spot early; this is a good time to relax and visit. You can send a few folks off to bring back dinner for the group, take turns taking bathroom breaks, etc. Waiting an hour or two for a show can be much more fun when you are with a large group.

You'll want to make PS reservations if you plan to enjoy some nice sitdown meals, including character meals. Goofy's Kitchen (at the DL hotel), would probably be a real kick for your party (but not cheap). Goofy's is my favorite character meal, and the only one available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Something that I remember from when my kids were little is that they really get tired of being rushed around the whole time. Even though they are at Disneyland, they still like to have time to lay in bed at the hotel and watch cartoons or play in the pool. At least one afternoon at DL, take them to Tom Sawyer Island and let them play for an hour or two. You will be glad you had time to enjoy everything. And yes, you should split your party up some of the time, some of you can go with the older kids on the more exciting rides while some of you say with the younger ones.

Some tips to make it the best vacation ever (not the vacation from hell): Plan ahead and decide what things are the most important do see, and don't worry if you miss some things. Check to see which rides will be closed so you are not disappointed. It will be crowded, so use fastpass when you can and do Fantasyland first thing. Avoid DL on Saturday. Have meals at off-times, like lunch at 11:00 or 2:00 rather than 12 or 1, dinner at 4:00 or 7:00 rather than 5 or 6, etc. Avoid DL on Saturday and Memorial Day if you can. Keep reading here for lots of other ideas. Have a great time!

We will be there June 5th-12th. We are planning on 5 days in DL. We arrive Sun. afternoon and leave the following Sun morning so those days will just be hanging around DTD or the motel. Due to Grad Nite we decided that our free day from the park will be on Thursday.

Last time we went to DL we had 4 days in the park and one at Universal Studios. We felt we were able to do and see all we wanted and not be rushed. Decided on the five days this time because we will have a 18 month old and 4 year old. Plus their dad has never been to DL.

I am looking forward to taking our time and enjoying all nooks and crannys of the parks. Everything should be open except Space Mt. (only myself DSinlaw and DD would have rode anyway).

Like the others have said divide up into groups on some of the days and just have fun!!!!

Thanks again everyone!

I am cutting and pasting these responses into a Word document so I can print it off and show my father and brother. These are great! I knew I was on the right track now just to convince the the others. :)

I won't go for less than 4/5 days. It gives you a chance to relax and really enjoy the experience. You can sleep in, eat breakfast in the morning, and then leisurely head there. If you get tired of the park or it gets too busy, you can go back to the hotel for swimming, snacks, or sleep. We also like spending an afternoon going somewhere else, too. (In my case, we go to visit my grandparents' graves which are about half an hour away.)

Thanks everyone! It looks like we convinced my father to go with the 5-day hopper pass! :cheer2: He will be booking the trip as soon as we get all the paper work figured out. My brother has a step daughter, I am divorced, and my fiance has a son from a previous relationship, so need to get the letters/paperwork all together so we can take the kids to the States.

Thanks again for all your help!

You've received great advice here!! If you get a chance before you arrive, have a sit-down meeting with as many of the group as practical - get everyone's Must Do list - and honor it. With that time frame, you can do every person's #1 thing during your visit. Be careful NOT to schedule yourself to death. Remaining flexible is the key to being relaxed. Be sure you break the group up different times during the trip - 12 people is quite a herd to maintain, especially in the large crowds of Mem Weekend. I'd stick to the hotel pool during the crazy crowd days - and that pool is AWESOME, so it's not like a sacrifice. Be aware that the time will FLY - so keep checking off your To Do lists daily so you can make sure no one gets left out.

The Tom Sawyer's Island idea is right on target. The same affect can be had at the Challenge Trail area of DCA. We let our 3.5 yr old DS run his legs off there while we sit and watch. It's a blast, and it gives their excited energy an outlet.

Just a general tip - if it's warm, dress your kids in their swimsuits under their clothes so if they feel like it, they can simply take off the street clothes and jump right in to the water areas at a moment's notice (and not have to traipse back to the hotel to get their suits or dry clothes). Then they can put the clothes back on after they're dry. There's one foutain area at DL (Tomorrowland in front of Space Mt) and there's two at DCA (A Bugs Land, and just outside that entrance in the farming area - the irrigation display). Which brings to mind that you should wear shoes that will dry fast yet be comfy for long days on your feet. We have leather sandals for our DS, so his feet won't sweat like they do in rubber sandals, but they dry in a heartbeat.

I think that's enough for now :rotfl:
Have fun on your trip!!!

Not on your life - in 5 days you will get to do all the rides, but most of them only once or twice. It would take 3 days just to see both parks.

5 days is perfect - plenty of time to see the place, have fun, and enjoy all the rides you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter