50th Magical Memories Event-Seminar/Workshop Concerns

Circarama

You can call me Charlie
I received an email from Walt Disney Event Services (WDES) on Monday, informing me that the Random Selection Process (RSP) for the seminar/workshop portion of the 50th anniversary "Magical Memories" event was now open.

Upon reading further, I discovered that not only was there a very real possibility that I would not get into the seminars that I wanted (since there wasn't an option for a second or third choice), but that WDES is now planning on selling seminar access to event attendees that registered for the "Imagineers Quest" portion of the event. This package NEVER had access to the seminar/workshops as an element of the package!

After calling WDES this morning, and not having my questions answered satifactorily, I received a callback from Martha Blanding, the manager for this event, regarding my disappointment with the way that the seminar RSP is being run.

Martha was very nice and she tried to answer my concerns. When she was not able to answer a question, she told me she would get back to me and she did. We had 3 seperate conversations. The upshot of the conversations was this; WDES is going to try very hard to make sure that everyone who is registered in the top 3 tiers of this event gets the seminars that they want.

I don't want to cast Martha in a bad light. As I said before, she was very nice and we had a good repoire on the phone. I was previously under the impression that the reason they were limiting access to the seminars was because there weren' enough seminars or seats to allow everyone into two seminars per day. I was fine with that, until I found out that there are going to be 550 seats per hour available for Friday's seminars and 480 seats per hour available for Saturdays seminars. Given the fact that there are only 311 guests that signed up for the top 3 tiers, then theoretically everyone registered for this event can attend two seminars a day.

I explained to Martha that the way the RSP is currently set up, the attendees are being asked to pick one (per hour) seminar that they would really like to attend. Which is difficult given that there are 5 GREAT seminars being given every hour. But you can only pick one. Then, WDES will go thru the "Walt's Dream" attendees first and award them the seminars they want. Then they will go thru the "Roy's Plan" attendees and award them the seminars that they want. Finally. they will attempt to award the "Lillians Inspiration" attendees with their seminars. The trouble with this is that by the time they get to the "Lillian" portion of the seminars, some of the seminars willl be filled up. Without knowing what we want for a 2nd or 3rd choice, WDES will not be able to place us in a "2nd choice" seminar and we will be left out of another seminar that has room for us.
It was at this point that she explained to me that EVERONE registered for this event in the top three tiers is going to get into at least ONE seminar per day. To which I responded, "why only one?" I further explained that according to the number of available seats and the number of registrants, that it is possible for every registrant into TWO seminars a day.

I further explained that my feeling was that each seminar given was going to be special, given the fact that there would be a different audience for each seminar with different topics being discussed, depending on the types of questions being asked. I explained that I would happily attend the same seminar twice, rather than cool my heels in the lobby of the Disneyland Hotel.

I went on to suggest that if they can take the time to sell seminars to members of the "Imagineers Quest" package, WDES could certainly take the time to see to that everyone in the top three tiers were satisfied with the seminar portion of their package first.

I also expressed my concern that after the seminar RSP, that WDES would contact attendees of the top three tiers with the RSP results by US Mail, rather than e-mail, which would allow WDES enough time to sell the remaining seminar seats to the "Imagineers Quest" attendees. Martha was incredibly patient with me and assured me that the top three tiers would have their seminar issues resolved before any of the seminars were opened up to members of the "Imagineers Quest" package. She also expressed more than once that all of these issues are going to be revisited.

She also told me that my phone call was one of only two that she had received regarding this portion of the event. Since guest input seems to make a big difference at WDES, I would strongly encourage anyone registered for this event in the top three tiers to call Martha Blanding, Event Manager directly at 714-781-4390. I got off the phone feeling slightly perplexed. Although I had received a tremendous amount of reassurance, there really wasn't any resolution. Hopefully, since this issue is being addressed prior to the closure of the seminar RSP, that WDES will revisit this issue and come up with a solution that will be satisfactory to all of the parties concerned.

This is exactly why we opted to go for the Walt package as opposed to Lillian. Walt and Roy were GUARANTEED at least one seminar per day, From the get go, Lillian was only going to get a "possibility" on the RSP.

Suzi

I am sorry to hear that you are not getting the answers that you need. Thank you for sharing the contact and phone number for the person in charge of this event.

I have been to a few special events at Disneyland and DCA in the past that have been wonderful. I hope that in the end, this event is one that you will remember fondly.

I just saw this on the dizpins discussion board:
For those who are tired of the problems associated with this event, there is a website where you can “sign” an open letter to Matt Ouimet, President of the Disneyland Resort. This letter points out the numerous problems and asks for intervention from management to ensure each person gets what they have paid for.

Since I don't have enough posts to inclue a URL, I have to spell out where the letter can be read.

You can visit the site at:

saveourevent dot com
(enter a period, instead of the word "dot")

Circarama Quote:
The trouble with this is that by the time they get to the "Lillian" portion of the seminars, some of the seminars willl be filled up. Without knowing what we want for a 2nd or 3rd choice, WDES will not be able to place us in a "2nd choice" seminar and we will be left out of another seminar that has room for us.
It was at this point that she explained to me that EVERONE registered for this event in the top three tiers is going to get into at least ONE seminar per day. To which I responded, "why only one?" I further explained that according to the number of available seats and the number of registrants, that it is possible for every registrant into TWO seminars a day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have the Lillian plan for 2 people. I have never been a part of one of their events before so I didn't know what to expect with the RSP process. It seems like it leaves a lot to be desired.

I agree with you of "why only one?" seminar. I also had not heard they were selling remaining seminars to Imagineer's Quest plan. This is poor planning if they make seminars available to other plans without offering them to us first as a second or third choice.

Where did you read that they would sell the seminars?

They have also hindered my chances for the RSP for merchandise by selling more plans than originally stated.

Walt was 40, now 78
Roy was 40, still 40
Lillian was 140, now 187

I signed up for the Lillian immediately when it was available because I felt it would sell out fast.

It seems like they set the price first for these plans, then make the rest up as they go along. Then change their minds about the process.

I will be calling Martha. Thanks for the info.

I have the Lillian plan for 2 people. I have never been a part of one of their events before so I didn't know what to expect with the RSP process. It seems like it leaves a lot to be desired.
You got that right!

I agree with you of "why only one?" seminar. I also had not heard they were selling remaining seminars to Imagineer's Quest plan. This is poor planning if they make seminars available to other plans without offering them to us first as a second or third choice.

Where did you read that they would sell the seminars?

That was a first person quote direcdtly from Martha to me on Tuesday morning. She has since back-pedaled on that, and told another irate attendee that, "It was never our intention to sell the extra seminars".
Well, that's not what you told me Martha.

They have also hindered my chances for the RSP for merchandise by selling more plans than originally stated.

Walt was 40, now 78
Roy was 40, still 40
Lillian was 140, now 187

I signed up for the Lillian immediately when it was available because I felt it would sell out fast.

It seems like they set the price first for these plans, then make the rest up as they go along. Then change their minds about the process.

I will be calling Martha. Thanks for the info.

If you want to make an impact on this event, you should sign the "open letter" to Matt Ouimet at:
saveourevent-dot-com

( I don't heve enough posts on this board to include URL's in my posts yet, so you have to insert a period instead of the word dot. If you are still having trouble with accessing the website, send me a PM and I will forward the URL to you.)

Circarama, I, too, was perplexed when I signed up for the seminar RSP yesterday (Friday). It was not what I expected: the RSP appears to be weighted based upon which package was purchased; and there was no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice for any of the seminar time slots.

Since I registered for the RSP late in the day, it was too late for me to call Disney to voice my feelings regarding the RSP. But thanks to your post here on the Dis, I went ahead and placed that phone call anyway.

Janet2k said:
But thanks to your post here on the Dis, I went ahead and placed that phone call anyway.
Thanks, I hope we can get resolution on this issue soon , so that we can have a great event on the anniversary weekend. :)

I am here in Anaheim and sadly disappointed. I had purchased the "Walt's Dream" package and was very much looking forward to attending this weekend's events for the Disneyland 50th anniversary celebration. Imagine my surprise when I picked up my registration packet this afternoon and found that I had not been assigned to any of the seminars. None. Zero. Zilch.

I asked the Cast Member who was checking me in to verify that I had RSP'ed correctly. She was unsure of how to do this so she had someone more knowledgeable check on things for me. This other Cast Member found me in the computer system and found that I had indeed RSP'ed correctly (I knew that I had because I remembered receiving the automated response after my RSP had been submitted). Her response to me when I asked her why I had not been assigned to any of the seminars was, "I don't know how that happened." I don't know if she meant for her tone of voice to be flippant, but it was, and it added to my disappointment.

I'll end things here with the fact that I was able to get two of the seminars that I had RSP'ed for, but not the two that I had really wanted to attend (those seminars were limited in size so I'll be attending others in their place). I consider myself lucky that I'll be in any seminars at all at this late date.

As I sit here in my hotel room, I am thankful for the Dis website. Because of this website (and this thread), I was able to leave a telephone message for the Event Services folks stating my disappointment regarding what had happened to me today. With that out of the way, I should be able to move on from here and enjoy the rest of my time in Disneyland (at least that's my plan).

Circarama said:
Martha was incredibly patient with me

You got that right!

Circarama said:
She also told me that my phone call was one of only two that she had received regarding this portion of the event.

Judging by your exhausting retelling of the story, I'd be surprised if poor Martha was able to take any other phone calls on that day.

I guess I know what to expect this weekend from certain guests.

Janet2k said:
As I sit here in my hotel room, I am thankful for the Dis website. With that out of the way, I should be able to move on from here and enjoy the rest of my time in Disneyland (at least that's my plan).

If not, I'm sure that you will let anybody and EVERYBODY know. At this point, I think you are probably expecting the worst anyway. I look forward to this weekend so that I can enjoy all of those spoiled "fanatics" who think they own the place complaining and moaning how they are not being treated correctly. One would wonder, If you are on vacation, then why are you sitting on a computer in a hotel room, typing on a blog?

"I am an AP holder." "I am a DVC member." "I own 50 shares of Disney Stock."

Sometimes I think I'd rather be a "trekkie".

Just some random thoughts. No harm, no foul!

yesiD anF, I’m not sure if you work for Disney or if you’re attending the event, but the event package that I had purchased stated the following (click here):

Guaranteed Entry into at least ONE (1) “Illusions, Illustrations & Inspirations” seminars/workshops, per day

I was disappointed because through no fault of my own, I was not assigned to any of the seminars. That was not how the event package was supposed to work. I am glad that I arrived a day early to pre-register. Had I arrived and registered for the event today, there probably wouldn’t have been any slots available in any of the seminars.

It is because of the Dis website and other websites that I learned about the other folks who had experienced some of the same issues with this event that I had experienced. I am thankful for Circarama and the rest of the folks who took the time to share the information that they did.

yensiD naF said:
...I look forward to this weekend so that I can enjoy all of those spoiled "fanatics" who think they own the place complaining and moaning how they are not being treated correctly. One would wonder, If you are on vacation, then why are you sitting on a computer in a hotel room, typing on a blog?

"I am an AP holder." "I am a DVC member." "I own 50 shares of Disney Stock."

Sometimes I think I'd rather be a "trekkie".

Just some random thoughts. No harm, no foul!

There is some harm and foul here.

Do you work for Disney? are you a guest?
Either way, please post your weekend itinerary here so everyone can avoid you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter