6th Annual Christmas Thread

:welcome: Elf on the Shelf is so fun when they are little!!!

I still have a 10 year old who likes the Elf. And, dumb me, had "Sam" find us on vacation in Chicago last December. So, we leave for WDW on 11/30 and Sam always comes 12/1, so guess what, I guess I'm going to be sneaking Sam on the trip to WDW. I've come up with some cute ideas....he'll bring her a gift card for spending money, I'm going to make him some Mickey Ears, he can wear Barbie's bathingsuit. I just hope I don't forget him (actually, I need to find him. I can't remember where I stuck him when he "left" on Cmas Eve last year).

Glad to BE back!! Thanks!! Love your gift basket idea...how about those things that you fill with rice and you heat them up for when you have neck/back pain? I have no idea how to make that, but I always want to find out!!! And throw in some homemade cookies and fudge!!!![/QUOTE]

I made those last year and they were a big hit. Super easy to make.

I still have a 10 year old who likes the Elf. And, dumb me, had "Sam" find us on vacation in Chicago last December. So, we leave for WDW on 11/30 and Sam always comes 12/1, so guess what, I guess I'm going to be sneaking Sam on the trip to WDW. I've come up with some cute ideas....he'll bring her a gift card for spending money, I'm going to make him some Mickey Ears, he can wear Barbie's bathingsuit. I just hope I don't forget him (actually, I need to find him. I can't remember where I stuck him when he "left" on Cmas Eve last year).

That is hilarious!! Of course, you could always buy a 'back-up Sam' just in case you don't find the original before you leave!!!

I can't believe its time for this thread again! I'm looking forward to reading everyone's lists because I have a feeling I'll be struggling with ideas for my kids. I've already gotten their ornaments for our Christmas Eve tradition so I can say I have officially started shopping.
We leave for WDW 2 weeks from tomorrow :cool1: I know I'll pick up a few things there. My dd wants a Chesire Cat pillow pet but I know when she sees Dumbo she'll want that one too. Whichever one she doesn't buy with her souvenir money I'll buy and put away for Christmas. I'll grab some stocking stuffers for my dses and some stuffies and shirts for my God-dd's. The rest of my shopping will have to wait until Christmas gets closer, I just don't have any "must buy" things on my list yet.

I can't believe its time for this thread again! I'm looking forward to reading everyone's lists because I have a feeling I'll be struggling with ideas for my kids. I've already gotten their ornaments for our Christmas Eve tradition so I can say I have officially started shopping.
We leave for WDW 2 weeks from tomorrow :cool1: I know I'll pick up a few things there. My dd wants a Chesire Cat pillow pet but I know when she sees Dumbo she'll want that one too. Whichever one she doesn't buy with her souvenir money I'll buy and put away for Christmas. I'll grab some stocking stuffers for my dses and some stuffies and shirts for my God-dd's. The rest of my shopping will have to wait until Christmas gets closer, I just don't have any "must buy" things on my list yet.

I know!! it crept up quickly this year, did it not?!!! Enjoy your WDW trip!!!!

I have figured out what I'm doing for the family baskets. Instead of doing one basket for each family, I have decided to do a basket for each girl and guy. So here's what I'm doing:

The Guys' Basket (dad, brother-in-law, and shared basket for nephews):
- Candied Pecans
- Spiced Almonds
- Sugared Peanuts
- Red Velvet Fudge
- Pumpkin Spice Fudge

The Girls' Basket (mom, sister, niece and nephew's fiance):
- Cinnamon Vanilla Sugar Scrub
- Pumpkin Pie Sugar Scrub
- Orange Spice Lotion Bars
- Peppermint Lip Scrub
- Peppermint Lip Balm

Unfortunately, I can't make any of this early. So I will be baking, creating and cooking all of these things just a couple of days before we get together to exchange gifts. The good thing --- I have plenty of time to shop for jars, baskets and fun containers to put all the goodies in. Oh, and I want to design cute labels for each item.

I'm subscribing now, I need to start thinking ahead to the holidays, so this thread will hopefully give me some ideas! This year I'm shopping for: DH, DD16, DS10, my Mom, my MIL & FIL, BIL, niece age 11, and dance teacher gifts, & grab bag gifts. My list is pretty simple and short, and I try not to get too carried away.

I'm subscribing now, I need to start thinking ahead to the holidays, so this thread will hopefully give me some ideas! This year I'm shopping for: DH, DD16, DS10, my Mom, my MIL & FIL, BIL, niece age 11, and dance teacher gifts, & grab bag gifts. My list is pretty simple and short, and I try not to get too carried away.

:welcome: Hopefully you will find out all the ideas you need right here!! It'll be here before we know it!

Disney Walle~ Cute labels make all the difference...I can't wait to see what you come up with for the final look!

This is a last minute gift idea, but one I like because it's not to expensive and it looks fancy:
Butterscotch Pretzels
1 good sized bag small pretzels (twists or circles)
1 pkg. butterscotch chips
1 tsp cooking oil
1/4 pkg. milk or dark or white chocolate chips
1/4 tsp. cooking oil

Parchment or wax paper

Microwave butterscotch chips and 1 tsp. of oil for 30 seconds at a time, in a big microwave safe bowl, stirring each time, until fully melted. Make sure to stir, as melted chips sometimes look whole.
(can be melted in a double boiler)
Dump pretzels into melted chips, making sure not to allow all the loose salt into the mix.
Stir well, until all pretzels are covered. Spread on parchment or wax paper to cool.
While cooling, melt other chips and oil in a similar manner.
Drizzle second coating in a decorative manner over cooling pretzels.
Allow to fully cool...refrigerating helps the coating to fully set up.

Place in a decorative container and give!

I have also used dark chocolate drizzled with white chocolate, and peanut butter and chocolate mixed (can't remember if I drizzled or not.)

ANY chip flavor will work, but the combination of the butterscotch and the salty pretzels is delicious.

Two gifts I got recently for my parents (who are usually a last minute gift buying dilemma for me), are folding camp/lawn chairs (they are on clearance some places right now) and photobooks from Shutterfly of trips we've taken together. Shutterfly often has 50% off and free shipping.

It also pays to watch Target's deal of the day. Last spring I got a Disney Princess Castle for the Disney Barbie type dolls...one day deal of $50, normally over $100.
I also snagged those American Girl dolls that were on sale for $50 last December, and saved them for this year.
Disney Shopping clearance always has a lot of good stuff. Stocking stuffers especially (art supplies, pins, etc.)

Sarah...that sounds yummy! I will probably use that this year! I am always looking for some goodie to add to our baskets~and I like to use the ones kids can help with...

Oooh, I like the folding camp/lawn chairs idea! That would work great for my parents, thanks for the idea!!! :thumbsup2

DH and I have a blended family. We have 7 kids to shop for so we always start our Christmas shopping plenty early. We are probably half done with our kiddos. We also exchange gifts with my parents, DH's dad & stepmom and his mom & stepdad. And I have a brother, his wife, and their four kids, but we exchange one big family gift instead of separate gifts. I also get/make something for my grandma and a few close friends.

Right now this is where I'm at:

DSS 15 - a make your own puppet from Toys R Us... it's totally him, plus I like it because I do puppet shows for preschoolers through my work and I'm excited to share a common interest with him! He will also get a game (thinking Kingdom Hearts 3) and clothes.

DS 15 - he's big into playing Magic the Gathering.... I have a friend who plays in tournaments with him who is going to give me some ideas of cards he would like. He will also get (if its released in time) the next season of the Simpsons on DVD, and clothes.

DD 12 - a Sims expansion pack, cupcake stuff (a nice travel container and stand) and clothes.

(These oldest three each got an expensive bday gift this year which counted as part of their Christmas gifts)

DSS 9 - he's big into Legos... we've put away a few sets already. He still needs his one BIG set yet... trying to decide which one... we will probably wait a couple months yet before getting that one. Also, the Lego Marvel game for the PS3.

DS 8 - He's had his eye on a couple video games which DH made note of... still deciding on his big gift.

DSD 5 - new bike, Tangled wedding set, comforter, Princess Celestia (to finish her MLP set)

DS 1 (will be 2 by Christmas) - see and say animal sounds toy, he loves SpongeBob... we found him a stuffed Plankton we know he'll like, puzzle, still deciding on his big gift... maybe a SpongeBob playset.

Each kid also gets a book, which we've gotten already, and their stocking stuffers.

We do a family gift too.... deciding on that... maybe swim passes for the new year.

For my parents we are going in with my brothers family and getting pictures taken of all the grandkids (his youngest is due next month!) and getting a group shot blown up to a nice size and framed. I'm also thinking those lawn chairs!!!

DH's parents (both sets) we like getting them gift certificates to a nice restaurant.

Each set of grandparents is also getting a photo album I put together of the previous year.

Getting ideas on my brothers gift for him and his family. Last year we put together a game package... this year I might do a movie package?

Gramma gets a photo album and a nice framed picture of the grandkids too.

I love baking pies... I think for my friends I will bake pies for them that they can use for their Christmas feasts... one less thing for them to worry about!

DH so far I got a Kermit the Frog ornament from Hallmark singing Rainbow Connection (one of our special songs... first song we ever danced to, so it was our first dance at our wedding) :lovestruc We also love really bad B horror flicks, so I ordered Sharknado, lol. We are really big Weird Al fans. We went to a concert earlier this month and we each got a new shirt, but he had a difficult time deciding between two, so I'm going to order the other one that he also liked. And a few stocking stuffers....

Our favorite holidays are Halloween and Christmas, and we like going all out for both. After Halloween is over, we pretty much go straight into Christmas mode :santa: I love this thread and all the great ideas/recipes/and sale finds we share!!!

DS 15 - he's big into playing Magic the Gathering.... I have a friend who plays in tournaments with him who is going to give me some ideas of cards he would like. He will also get (if its released in time) the next season of the Simpsons on DVD, and clothes.

When I used to play Magic I would love getting a box of boosters. It was so much fun sitting there and opening pack after pack wondering what I would get. Made quite a few tournament decks with those and a couple singles that I bought (mostly because I would want 4 of a card in a deck and would pull 2 or 3 from a box so would just buy that last one). If I still played and thus had current cards I would offer up some of my collection. But depending on what sort of play he does he might not be able to even use them.

I think I am going to steal the basket ideas! I can do one for my aunt and uncle (who I wasn't going to buy for), my grandma, and my cousin and her husband. I will do cookies separate for the whole family but I can get some specialty foods and then make some other things. Add the Disney book to my cousin's or a crossword puzzle book to my grandma's. Thank you for this idea guys! This is why I love this thread.

becalubob~wow you have a lot to buy, but good job on what you've gotten so far!!!:thumbsup2 And yes, with that many kids you have to space it out over time!!
Lily~the baskets are a great idea I agree...I did a basket for the school last Christmas and it was such a big hit... i usually just do tins for families, but for the office lady's and admin, the big basket worked well...

I have already bought a lot :rolleyes1

My user name is old and my list is 4 adult kids and their spouses, one child home (12), 6 grandkids, my parents, my brother and his wife, 6 nieces and nephews, youngest daughters Godmother, my husband and a few misc people.

I adore Christmas and love the planning but need to stick to a budget for sure. I also just love the look of a tree with lots of gifts, that are well thought out.

I bought a VCR to DVD recorder on the Amazon deal of the day(for $50) a while back and my husband is transferring our home movies for all the older kids. I picked up the DVD's on a sale at Staples so these gifts are basically costing his time, which is a lot. But I know the kids are going to really appreciate and enjoy watching them since they haven't been seen in years.

Part of my parents gift is a record-able storybook of The Night before Christmas that I picked up after Christmas for $3. and I am having everyone read a couple of lines. I know my parents will enjoy that.

My daughter, 33 and I plan all year and love coming up with great ideas. For her 3 year old we found some ideas on Pinterest and made them our own. I picked up an old coffee table at a yardsale that had the 4 sides built up and the table part set down a little. My husband cut a piece of plywood to fit inside and on one side we put a rug that has the roads to run cars and things on ( bought at Home Depot in the reduced bin for $5.) and the other side has lego bases glued down so it is a lego table. He painted it to match her room and we already had the paint from other pieces he finished for her. It came out beautiful and is already stored in our garage waiting.

As you can see, I am good with ideas to keep my husband busy :thumbsup2

I have lots more but don't want to hog the thread.

Enjoy the shopping and planning!

I'd love to join the Christmas thread this year! I have to first admit I haven't bought anything for Christmas yet! Yikes! We are taking the kids to WDW in October, and I am going back to work (was a stay at home mom for quite some time) next week- so I've been focusing on that and not shopping for Christmas yet. When I start to shop I have to buy for-
DH- he's a disser so can't post my gift ideas for him in case he reads this thread :)

DS(7)- his Birthday is actually Christmas Day! Will need to get him Christmas gifts, and a bday gift too- so far he has asked for- beyblade, big league chew gum(stocking stuffer I'm thinking), anything minecraft, basketball jersey, Nike shoes

DD(turning 5)- she's into American girls, kid jewelry, kid makeup, anything girly, books, music, etc. she's pretty easy to buy for

Then there is the other family members- it's a bit nutty but tradition so we also buy for... My mom, dh's parents, and also...ready? Nephew(16), Niece(14), nephew(9), niece( 8 ) nephew(6), niece(5), nephew (3), nephew (1), niece (2 months at Christmas)

Crazy, right? Not to mention, we also host Christmas dinner and have a cake for my son to celebrate with family).

I love my big family, but it sure does get expensive. I'm really thinking about family baskets instead of buying individually for my nieces and nephews.

I have already bought a lot :rolleyes1

My user name is old and my list is 4 adult kids and their spouses, one child home (12), 6 grandkids, my parents, my brother and his wife, 6 nieces and nephews, youngest daughters Godmother, my husband and a few misc people.

I adore Christmas and love the planning but need to stick to a budget for sure. I also just love the look of a tree with lots of gifts, that are well thought out.

I bought a VCR to DVD recorder on the Amazon deal of the day(for $50) a while back and my husband is transferring our home movies for all the older kids. I picked up the DVD's on a sale at Staples so these gifts are basically costing his time, which is a lot. But I know the kids are going to really appreciate and enjoy watching them since they haven't been seen in years.

Part of my parents gift is a record-able storybook of The Night before Christmas that I picked up after Christmas for $3. and I am having everyone read a couple of lines. I know my parents will enjoy that.

My daughter, 33 and I plan all year and love coming up with great ideas. For her 3 year old we found some ideas on Pinterest and made them our own. I picked up an old coffee table at a yardsale that had the 4 sides built up and the table part set down a little. My husband cut a piece of plywood to fit inside and on one side we put a rug that has the roads to run cars and things on ( bought at Home Depot in the reduced bin for $5.) and the other side has lego bases glued down so it is a lego table. He painted it to match her room and we already had the paint from other pieces he finished for her. It came out beautiful and is already stored in our garage waiting.

As you can see, I am good with ideas to keep my husband busy :thumbsup2

I have lots more but don't want to hog the thread.

Enjoy the shopping and planning!

WOW!! You do have a lot of people! LOL!! And you are not going to hog the thread!!:) At least you have your ideas going and you are well on your way!!
I'd love to join the Christmas thread this year! I have to first admit I haven't bought anything for Christmas yet! Yikes! We are taking the kids to WDW in October, and I am going back to work (was a stay at home mom for quite some time) next week- so I've been focusing on that and not shopping for Christmas yet. When I start to shop I have to buy for-
DH- he's a disser so can't post my gift ideas for him in case he reads this thread :)

DS(7)- his Birthday is actually Christmas Day! Will need to get him Christmas gifts, and a bday gift too- so far he has asked for- beyblade, big league chew gum(stocking stuffer I'm thinking), anything minecraft, basketball jersey, Nike shoes

DD(turning 5)- she's into American girls, kid jewelry, kid makeup, anything girly, books, music, etc. she's pretty easy to buy for

Then there is the other family members- it's a bit nutty but tradition so we also buy for... My mom, dh's parents, and also...ready? Nephew(16), Niece(14), nephew(9), niece( 8 ) nephew(6), niece(5), nephew (3), nephew (1), niece (2 months at Christmas)

Crazy, right? Not to mention, we also host Christmas dinner and have a cake for my son to celebrate with family).

I love my big family, but it sure does get expensive. I'm really thinking about family baskets instead of buying individually for my nieces and nephews.

Yes, big families do get expensive..how cool your son is on Christmas! My older one is on the 4th...it does make it challenging!!

Joining up to this thread!!

The DH and I always buy for each other, and then these are who we have to buy for:

(my side)
Dad
Mom
2 Brothers
1 SIL
2 Newphews (one just turned 13!! He CAN"T be that old!)
1 Niece

(his side)
his mom

(extended family)
This is all aunts and uncles, cousins, their kids, etc..., which totals abotu 30-50 people. We try to spend abotu 50 to 100 per person here

We've got some knocked out becuase we shop year round; now i just have to go through pak

Joining up to this thread!!

The DH and I always buy for each other, and then these are who we have to buy for:

(my side)
Dad
Mom
2 Brothers
1 SIL
2 Newphews (one just turned 13!! He CAN"T be that old!)
1 Niece

(his side)
his mom

(extended family)
This is all aunts and uncles, cousins, their kids, etc..., which totals abotu 30-50 people. We try to spend abotu 50 to 100 per person here

We've got some knocked out becuase we shop year round; now i just have to go through pak

:welcome: Glad you are joining us! That is a lot of people in the extended family!! And you are very generous there!! LOL!! I am ready for cooler weather the most right now... I am not in the Christmas spirit at over 100*F.. Can't wait for the first fall feeling cool snap!!

Subbing!

DD will be 3 this year so I am expecting it to be a lot of fun! She will really understand the Elf this year and I want to get an Advent calendar. Anybody know of a cute one that we can re-use over the years?

I have to confess I bought her big gift about a year ago when I got a good deal on it. It's the Loving Family Holiday dollhouse:

http://www.amazon.com/Exclusive-Hol...6418715&sr=8-1&keywords=loving+family+holiday

It's been hiding in my mom's furnace room ever since. lol

I also hit the Hallmark ornament premier and got ornaments for my DD and goddaughters as I always do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter