7 and 9 year old with extra FPs

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
Looong back story but my kids, 7 and 9, are each left with 3 FPs per day for 3 park days. We obviously can’t let them enter FP lines by themselves. What kind of strategies can we employ to utilize these FPs at MK, EP and HS and be fair to each kid? I’m getting extremely confused.

Mine did regular line for 7DMTR at 7 and 9 and did fine. I waited for them at the exit.

My kids could go through certain lines together at that age.

So could mine- I guess it depends on the kids, but I had no issues with several of the FP lines when they went together, and one time my son went on Buzz by himself at about age 9, via the FP line while I waited.

Looong back story but my kids, 7 and 9, are each left with 3 FPs per day for 3 park days. We obviously can’t let them enter FP lines by themselves. What kind of strategies can we employ to utilize these FPs at MK, EP and HS and be fair to each kid? I’m getting extremely confused.

You know anyone can use the MB to ride so .....

You could say that they each get one ride with an adult using the other at each park.

Sample at HS
Book both on TSMM but at riding an adult goes with 7 year old
Book both on SDD but at riding an adult goes with 9 year old
Book both on Alien and there they can go through line together while staying in sight of parents outside fence.

Sample at MK
Book both on Buzz Lightyear but at riding adult goes with 9 year old
Book both on Speedway but at riding adult goes with 7 year old
Book both on Aladdin Magic Carpet and there they can go through line together while staying in sight of parents outside of fence.

If you really don't want them going alone then one gets 2 rides at a park, the other gets 2 rides at another park and at the third park either let two adults ride, maybe there is one ride you are comfortable with them alone or don't use it.

Actually, at 7 and 9, I'd let my kids wait in a line by themselves. As long as there's an adult waiting at the exit, I don't really see what the problem would be.

Would anyone st
You know anyone can use the MB to ride so .....

You could say that they each get one ride with an adult using the other at each park.

Sample at HS
Book both on TSMM but at riding an adult goes with 7 year old
Book both on SDD but at riding an adult goes with 9 year old
Book both on Alien and there they can go through line together while staying in sight of parents outside fence.

Sample at MK
Book both on Buzz Lightyear but at riding adult goes with 9 year old
Book both on Speedway but at riding adult goes with 7 year old
Book both on Aladdin Magic Carpet and there they can go through line together while staying in sight of parents outside of fence.

If you really don't want them going alone then one gets 2 rides at a park, the other gets 2 rides at another park and at the third park either let two adults ride, maybe there is one ride you are comfortable with them alone or don't use it.
ahhhh. Ok. Thanks for kicking my brain into gear. Good idea with some of those rides where we could see them. So the ride attendants won’t stop them from rising Bc of their age?

Would anyone st

ahhhh. Ok. Thanks for kicking my brain into gear. Good idea with some of those rides where we could see them. So the ride attendants won’t stop them from rising Bc of their age?

Disney requires them to be 7 to ride without an adult so you are good.

Disney requires them to be 7 to ride without an adult so you are good.
ah, ok, didn't realize. i am such a rule follower, i thought that if they were 7, they had to be with someone age 14 (not sure where i'm getting that from). i have to think through some rides where the lines are outside and we can observe them (anyone want to help with that?). i mean we let them ride without adults at any fair/boardwalk type ride that we can see them. i couldn't imagine them yet going to an inside queue. could just picture them alone at Haunted Mansion, ha!

ah, ok, didn't realize. i am such a rule follower, i thought that if they were 7, they had to be with someone age 14 (not sure where i'm getting that from). i have to think through some rides where the lines are outside and we can observe them (anyone want to help with that?). i mean we let them ride without adults at any fair/boardwalk type ride that we can see them. i couldn't imagine them yet going to an inside queue. could just picture them alone at Haunted Mansion, ha!

I think it's under 7 and they need to be with someone over 14?

Do you think a CM would let me and my husband enter the FP line with the kids but not ride? I'm sure that would seem sketchy.

Do you think a CM would let me and my husband enter the FP line with the kids but not ride? I'm sure that would seem sketchy.

Probably not. I remember when DD allowed Grands to enter and her boss jumped all over her. He said that is how many make their FP go further, to pretend they won't ride.

MK:
- Speedway (but I don't know height requirement)
- Barnstormer
- Teacups
- Aladdin Carpets
- Carousel (but no FP)

Epcot:
- none

HS:
- Aliens

Last edited:
Probably not. I remember when DD allowed Grands to enter and her boss jumped all over her. He said that is how many make their FP go further, to pretend they won't ride.

MK:
- Speedway (but I don't know height requirement)
- Barnstormer
- Teacups
- Aladdin Carpets
- Carousel (but no FP)

Epcot:
- none

HS:
- Aliens
thank you so much. now that my brain is processing this a bit better, i am able to piece together an itinerary. here's an example of our MK day:

FPs for all of us - PP, 7D, Splash
FPs for the two Kids - Pirates (as soon as we scan in for Splash, me and hubby will search for at least 1 FP for us to ride with the kids - hopefully that works out), Carpets (kids ride alone), Speedway (kids ride alone).

MK is the easier one to figure out

Now on to the other parks. But I feel if I can secure their two now, hopefully getting at least 1 adult onto their as a 4th, 5th, etc shouldn't be too difficult.

thank you so much. now that my brain is processing this a bit better, i am able to piece together an itinerary. here's an example of our MK day:

FPs for all of us - PP, 7D, Splash
FPs for the two Kids - Pirates (as soon as we scan in for Splash, me and hubby will search for at least 1 FP for us to ride with the kids - hopefully that works out), Carpets (kids ride alone), Speedway (kids ride alone).

MK is the easier one to figure out

Now on to the other parks. But I feel if I can secure their two now, hopefully getting at least 1 adult onto their as a 4th, 5th, etc shouldn't be too difficult.

My suggestion is to have a bit of a time buffer between your Splash and your Pirates FP (maybe plan lunch in between) so you don't need to come up with an immediate FP.

@HopperFan is right that AS2 is a very open queue in HS. The problem with HS is that with the tiering, you're not left with much else that would be useful for a 5th or 6th pre-booked FP. Assuming your whole family does TSMM or SDD for your tier 1, and you snag Star Tours for you all to ride tier 2, what's left other than AS2? Maybe book Fantasmic, and one adult/child see that show while the other adult/child do the fireworks show?

If you don't want to pair up and leave a child out while the other child and adult go on a ride in EP, you'll need to let them out of your sight or get a same day FP for an adult. Personally, I don't think there's much likelihood of something bad happening in the FP queue at Disney, but your comfort level might be different from mine.

If it makes you feel better, you could send the 9-year-old with your phone. Maybe get one of those clear phone holders on a lanyard. Either the kids call Dad's phone if there's a problem, or you start a video call with them as they enter the line, chat with them through the queue, and have them turn it off when they board the ride vehicle. This way you're able to monitor them without physically going through the queue (which most CMs would not allow, even if you pinky promise not to ride).

Last edited:
@HopperFan is right that AS2 is a very open queue in HS. The problem with HS is that with the tiering, you're not left with much else that would be useful for a 5th or 6th pre-booked FP. Assuming your whole family does TSMM or SDD for your tier 1, and you snag Star Tours for you all to ride tier 2, what's left other than AS2? Maybe book Fantasmagic, and one adult/child see that show while the other adult/child do the fireworks show?

If you don't want to pair up and leave a child out while the other child and adult go on a ride in EP, you'll need to let them out of your sight or get a same day FP for an adult. Personally, I don't think there's much likelihood of something bad happening in the FP queue at Disney, but your comfort level might be different from mine.

If it makes you feel better, you could send the 9-year-old with your phone. Maybe get one of those clear phone holders on a lanyard. Either the kids call Dad's phone if there's a problem, or you start a video call with them as they enter the line, chat with them through the queue, and have them turn it off when they board the ride vehicle. This way you're able to monitor them without physically going through the queue (which most CMs would not allow, even if you pinky promise not to ride).

True

DHS tier comes in to play, so if you are working with more than the 3 FP+ (which sounds like in later post) you would have to work around that.

Disney rules state that children age 7 and up can ride alone. Any one who uses the cast pass line, must have a fast pass, so you won't be able to join them, not even just to wait.

You need to be 14 to be able to enter a theme park, main gate, by yourself. Those under 7 must be accompanied by someone age 14 or older at any time in the park.

@HopperFan is right that AS2 is a very open queue in HS. The problem with HS is that with the tiering, you're not left with much else that would be useful for a 5th or 6th pre-booked FP. Assuming your whole family does TSMM or SDD for your tier 1, and you snag Star Tours for you all to ride tier 2, what's left other than AS2? Maybe book Fantasmic, and one adult/child see that show while the other adult/child do the fireworks show?

Thank you for all the info. I will def think about letting them have one phone. Interesting idea.

Worth a try to ask a CM if you can stand in line with them, or even just ride with them. I have sweet-talked one extra person into the FP line many a time!

I would stop into guest relations and see if you can change this around a bit - not to increase the number of FP+ but to see if you can spread them out more evenly between your family.
Even though your kids are old enough to ride alone not every kid old enough to ride alone could handle it - especially if there were a long delay or ride interruption and I am sure the CM would understand the situation.

Maybe instead of 3 FP for each kid they could reassign one per day to each parent? Then you could use one FP+ to ride together as a family of 4 and then finding one ride that your comfortable with them doing alone for the other- like alien swirl, barnstormer, tea cups, triceratops spin where you can see them the entire time.

IMHO it won't hurt to ask ….. alternately you could switch bands and accomplish almost the same thing but you would have to ride in groups of 2 instead of 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter