A (2019) HalloXmas trip to Asia - Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo! - COMPLETED 5/1!!!

My food choices: the Mickey pizza – cheese, ham, and corn. I thought this was a rather weird combo, but it really worked! I was a fan!

Pizza on corn is pretty different...not sure I've heard of that before, but I'd eat it lol

And for dessert I got the Shortcake, a vanilla cake with strawberry sauce and souvenir plate. Also a fan of this. I think this was, unexpectedly, one of my favorite food places in Tokyo DL.

This looked so yummy and I love the adorable plate it came with!!

They sure do have spectacular parades! Just beautiful!
Yeah, it was fun!
I remember it being so controversial when they added the characters at DL, but once I saw the pictures I was like, "PLEASE!!! put them in at WDW!!" I love that they have the same little faces as the IASW dolls. They're a charming little touch for sure.

Yes!! Jimmy LOVES it, and likes to wear it crossbody and call it a purse, just to annoy his father< LOL!

OMGoodness, I am in LOVE with those ears!!!!!!!!!!!

What a cute Christmas parade! I loved Huey, Dewey, and Louie in the stockings on that first float. I am really hopeful that the Once Upon a Christmastime parade will return in December for our trip!
Jimmy seems like such a cute kid - I wish we could have met last year! Another time though!

And yeah, those ears were great! I was worried they would get crushed in my luggage but they held up pretty well and were really comfy.
Pizza on corn is pretty different...not sure I've heard of that before, but I'd eat it lol

This looked so yummy and I love the adorable plate it came with!!
Funny thing is a pizza place near my house has roasted corn on pizza! I've never had it as I don't really like the food there (they do this crunchy cornmeal crust which I don't like), but my mom does like it!
Such cute merch! But the system sounds so crazy! I'm glad you were able to get stuff!

The parade looks adorable!
Yeah, merch was super annoying there! Super cute but very annoying!

Part 3 – Lets Party Gras

I think after the parade I must have gone on Pirates, though no on-ride photos.

8QTqVjs.jpg

Some decorations in their mini New Orleans area. I think they have a Blue Bayou restaurant too, though I didn’t try to get a reservation there.

U1hKnCu.jpg

Some cute stained glass ornaments, but I didn’t get them because I was worried about breakability.

JQLyYgP.jpg

And now, showtime! Let’s Party Gras. I think this show started about a year earlier. I had won the show lottery for this one, though unfortunately it wasn’t the best view, with plenty of heads in the way. But, because it was an outdoor theatre, you were allowed to take photos/video!

5cJQGyZ.jpg

I guess the premise of the show is that Donald missed Mardi Gras, so the Three Caballeros and his other friends put on a party. Lots of dancing and costumes!

cXG4WaD.jpg
RP3UPf9.jpg

Goofy and Mickey teaming up for a dance, maybe a salsa?

1NfKlK2.jpg
fhqYVQu.jpg

VYn1t4e.jpg
3CY0pU1.jpg
Khi7HUW.jpg
P4ywxfq.jpg
SZUIQNF.jpg

My favorite part was when the ladies (Minnie, Daisy, and Clarice) did their dance, including an on-stage outfit change!

YvHp2M8.jpg
BLZr1zI.jpg
9iwjSdE.jpg
EyL56Y2.jpg
df3Wcbi.jpg

The love ducks

1lgJty8.jpg
Hpn09gm.jpg

The Goofs had a fun dance number too

MHsfBfg.jpg
pO0NT3X.jpg
DbRz2LF.jpg
CxnQNFs.jpg
AqeEOPs.jpg

Some inflatables during the final number

P9Aobf5.jpg
2TBie62.jpg
enuFara.jpg
8EeX6cR.jpg
nD2CPO0.jpg
nIe7QWY.jpg

Streamers and bubbles!

9Nk25Nn.jpg
iL4fTHO.jpg

And goodbye, with some gags from the bird friends

4x5DonF.jpg
eattsA1.jpg

Again, another super cute show. The entertainment is where Tokyo excels! I can’t wait until they can bring it back.

A full show video from someone with much better seats, lol!

After the show I ran into this decoration in Adventureland I must have missed previously. The land isn’t super decorated, but is cute.

mOLToZN.jpg
28pjCtp.jpg
wVmvxKi.jpg
eX5i8Yu.jpg

At some point I must have passed by Jamboree Mickey. This is a dance party type of show, which became a cult favorite in Tokyo! Lots of people who know all the dance moves. (Even though it was originally designed to be a kids show.)

LzDtbZu.jpg
YuO1ZFc.jpg
FVzKopb.jpg
hCROZCS.jpg
gUMpDML.jpg
MFFitgI.jpg

(This is a photo from a previous day but it fit better here since I didn’t stop for the show the day before)

TdDp0j0.jpg

And decorations outside Pleasure Island Candies in Fantasyland

Qm7FTf8.jpg
rfA7bUz.jpg

Over to Honey Hunt for my Fastpass

oQ3o3ZP.jpg

Coming up: Hopping to Tokyo DisneySea for their Christmas show

We love all things New Orleans and Mardi Gras in our family, so this would definitely be a big hit! I love a good on-stage outfit change!

We love all things New Orleans and Mardi Gras in our family, so this would definitely be a big hit! I love a good on-stage outfit change!
It was a fun show and I didn't really know what to expect. Their shows really are great!
The Small World Pictures make me wish World would add characters into it. I just love it. I know it's probably an unpopular opion... but still

That is rice? yuck

I want the snowduck plush! Love them!!!!

I just about to ask why it was bright yellow... But now I get it! So cute!!
I keep hoping one day they will just announce a refurb with characters, but no luck so far.

And yeah, that rice was just soaked in grease!

The sno-snows are so cute! Pluto the previous year had different socks for ears and a candy cane for a tail.

Part 4 – it’s Christmas Time!

I then used the monorail to hop over to DisneySea. It was definitely busier! And there were lines to get into lots of the stores (in addition to the Christmas merch, the winter Duffy line had also come out the day before). I knew I wanted plush badges for each of the Duffy characters and Stella Lou’s was flying off the shelf!

Ss8OzjS.jpg
5hmXzsM.jpg
spH4R1Z.jpg

I don’t consider myself tall (for an American), but I definitely was taller than most of the Japanese people, so I was able to reach up to the top back of one rack and reach the last bunny keychain! I definitely had to push some old Japanese grannies out of the way (but considering how they had 4-5 of each of those damn keychains in their baskets, I didn’t feel too bad). So I got all 4 of the winter plush badges, as well as a set with outfits from the Christmas evening show (those are in the second photo from when I got home)

0bkX9y2.jpg
s8QAmZt.jpg

I did end up getting a bunch of things from DisneySea, so ended up getting a locker at the front for all the stuff I bought that day! This past Christmas I also decorated our living room with all my Christmas plushes!

ZToBsjg.jpg
ebEoRCL.jpg
P6A409o.jpg
V0aacKy.jpg
pbl5QuQ.jpg
9ZyGtPH.jpg

Unfortunately, Clarice’s plush badge wasn’t available in the stores.

4hP4HPk.jpg

After spending a bunch of money, I went to try and find a spot for it’s Christmas Time, the harbor show in DisneySea. Some good things about the soft openings – no reserved lottery spots. Some bad things – the best areas are reserved for media people (including actual ladders for them to get high enough vantage spots). This show was also only 1 year old, so lots more people were willing to wait longer for it. I ended up finding a spot in the center area, but off to the side. It was standing room area, and unfortunately behind people, but it was the best I could do.

jEzeTGs.jpg
vk1rzMt.jpg

I left my bag in my “spot” and made a quick hop over to Zambini Bros Ristorante, another quick service, with Italian foods. I got the spaghetti pizza, pretty much what it sounds like! And I liked it! Plenty of carbs and cheese, which is most of my diet, lol! The box was also super cute with the characters!

GJcm0wH.jpg
qvrSW5e.jpg
5KRGBmY.jpg
3PlYhwa.jpg

Time for the show….

First, an explanation about DisneySea Harbor Shows. They really do take advantage of the full space. Three stages (main center stage, then Lido Isle Stage, and other stage), plus several podiums spaced around the walkway. And the characters and dancers end up doing a loop around the whole space (aided by boats which deliver them between the two smaller stages). So, while the best views are definitely in front of the stages, you still can have a relatively enjoyable time watching it from around the edges. I believe the sound system for each area is tied to one particular stage, so for It’s Christmas Time, you would hear the couple singing who was at the stage nearest to you.

RNzsIXz.png

KgfDDaC.jpg
WzZEldD.jpg

Not going to lie, the jetski kite startup is pretty cool! (This also was done about a year before Epcot Forever)

UzaBKUK.jpg
DYRRlTA.jpg

Everyone comes out from backstage areas all around the harbor. I think Mickey and Minnie start at the center stage, Donald and Daisy start on Lido Isle, and Goofy on the other stage. Max Goof and some other characters (Pluto, Scrooge, Chip, Dale & Clarice) are on intermediate podiums.

JsVGyjQ.jpg
MSIQqCY.jpg
7KHwUyu.jpg

While the songs are in English, the characters dialogue is all in Japanese.

9mKswdU.jpg
mZvciv6.jpg

Characters move around during the show, with a different group based in the center stage for each song segment. But that also means the characters get to amuse the other guests around the harbor.

qotULUU.jpg
jlQrwvh.jpg

The chipmunks had fun with some snow flurries while Max and Goofy danced onstage.

8MglJ7S.jpg

A song for the ladies, Santa Baby. Clarice was on main stage, while Minnie and Daisy each took a side stage with their pink ladies.

cezm82S.jpg
ZGRiilC.jpg
IQpzead.jpg
ftPeOPh.jpg

Pluto leading reindeer in a tap dance (“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”), along with some guys with antlers. Rudolph red nosed reindeer

z90rmwU.jpg
1hW9Ujd.jpg
bVr6V4s.jpg
sCcrnYA.jpg
twxFuWG.jpg
HbusOo2.jpg
aiYT0NG.jpg

Really crazy the amount of dancers they have to have working on these productions!

FNO3Rov.jpg
Av5CCMs.jpg
aUrTqcR.jpg
cOdKGqV.jpg

Daisy leads a bell song and dance

Ts73HS0.jpg
YkWDV84.jpg

Welcome to Christmas starts quieter. With some snow flurries. One character lonely missing family (pluto misses mickey, Max Goof misses his dad, I think Scrooge misses Donald?) Suddenly they appear, with the perfect gift.

And now it’s a celebration. Merry Christmas! With all the dancers showing up everywhere! Also, they do a weird sign language part of the dance… I’m not sure if ASL or something from Japan?

But, you can’t have Christmas without the big man! Santa shows up with Duffy and friends on a boat, lol!

wPg6VHX.jpg

The boat picks up Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, and the main stage singers. I think the other characters just make their way out by foot or on the smaller boats.

mRgUrvJ.jpg
sH3Xq94.jpg
37ZieN0.jpg

This was a really cool show! I love the live singing and dancing. And the whole Harbor getting involved. I wish I could have had a better view, but since this show was only 1 year old, it was pretty in-demand! I would see it again (though probably this was the best view I had…)

A POV of the full show

Coming up: more show soft openings

WOWZA, that sure is a whole lot of entertainment people to put on that one show!! So awesome. I especially love Santa showing up with Duffy and friends :) He and Shellie Mae are my favs!

Also, forgot to mention, I LOL-ed at you towering over the Japanese grannies to reach the top row! :rotfl2: American perks!

Catching up on your TR, and laaaaaaawd, everything at Tokyo Disneyland just looks amazing. I am a giant Country Bear Jamboree fan, so I'm LIVING for all of your pictures of the Christmas overlay. And the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay, too! AND DREAMLIGHTS!! It looks so magical.

Wow amazing shows!! Too bad you have to win a lottery to see some of them. The Christmas ones made me smile esp the TDS one. And apparently entertainment used to be better.. !

WOWZA, that sure is a whole lot of entertainment people to put on that one show!! So awesome. I especially love Santa showing up with Duffy and friends :) He and Shellie Mae are my favs!
Yeah, that was pretty fun!
Also, forgot to mention, I LOL-ed at you towering over the Japanese grannies to reach the top row! :rotfl2: American perks!
Definitely!
Catching up on your TR, and laaaaaaawd, everything at Tokyo Disneyland just looks amazing. I am a giant Country Bear Jamboree fan, so I'm LIVING for all of your pictures of the Christmas overlay. And the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay, too! AND DREAMLIGHTS!! It looks so magical.
It was cool! Lots of great overlays and entertainment.
Wow amazing shows!! Too bad you have to win a lottery to see some of them. The Christmas ones made me smile esp the TDS one. And apparently entertainment used to be better.. !
I know- the lottery system really sucks sometimes. The Japanese just do things differently.

Part 5 Hello New York

After the harbor show, it was another soft opening show – Hello New York. I think this show had just gone dark for a little while (and got some Christmas additions). Normally it would be lottery viewing, but soft openings meant no lotteries, so you could wait in line. Rather than get a seat, I stood in the back, because I realized there were so many people waiting, I wouldn’t have gotten in at this show. (I again used my height to my advantage, as I was in the second row of standing people but chose to be behind a short Asian lady, so I had a nearly clear view.)

XR14r5v.jpg
XofSUsU.jpg

I don’t remember if live singing or not (since it was in English)

GH6JCO7.jpg

Cool view for people in the ship, though it does get blocked occasionally.

Mickey, Minnie and pluto come down from the ship, which is a cool thing, as if they were arriving in the Harbor.

qzEdgL6.jpg

Daisy, Donald, Goofy also show up. All in costumes that are very contemporary! Lots of denim

CHcfTVd.jpg
mFrOUsw.jpg
PDS80DV.jpg
UbycxcA.jpg
8YDNDlq.jpg

Dialogue in Japanese of course so I didn't know the whole story.

Hot dog cart… of course, lol! And scooter taxis. Pluto really wanted a Hot Dog!

QZnny3Y.jpg
minJxdy.jpg
K0OQpGB.jpg
eI7hTPH.jpg
FV4fNlH.jpg
pjSA85H.jpg

Goofy becomes obsessed with parkour!?! And breakdancers, maybe?

VFP3cet.jpg
cuNcO2J.jpg
qipYF19.jpg
JOjtjP1.jpg
bcWtkT8.jpg

Chip and Dale show up in Central Park. And sneak up on Donald and Daisy!

vG2C0hf.jpg
ES8qVoZ.jpg
GbSqere.jpg

Who also have lots of acorns! Especially fun when they get the audience involved with the inflatable acorns!

iyTIW5v.jpg
Ko0l1WU.jpg

I think Mickey and Minnie get lost and sing a song to each other…

Which leads into the Broadway part of the show. (Which has a bit of Christmas music; I’m not sure if they just took over a regular song from the show pre-Christmas)

uqokfup.jpg
aBLm8F7.jpg
bQ4eOCb.jpg
CmJ0AtT.jpg
WgLGsHG.jpg
aCgS45T.jpg

And finale and goodbye.

KY2HBt9.jpg
9KF3RUV.jpg
9Ll64lp.jpg
UwjBBL8.jpg

This was a … fun… show. Um, it was a bit corny at times. But again, lots of talent and still fun to watch. Plus I liked the whole backdrop of SS Columbia.

Coming up: Evening Wanderings and Christmas Lights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter