A food rant - Please humor me!

beachwarmer

<font color=deeppink>Thanks very much for the extr
I hope you will allow me to have a short rant here on the Podcast board....

We have just returned from a wonderful vacation at WDW. We were there for a while (19 days) and we did eat at a lot of restaurants. We had some good meals, some okay food and only one horrible experience that related all to the service.

My rant is about the quality of the desserts they are now making. I will state right off that I eat the rest of the meal to get to dessert. It is the main part of the meal for me. I am on vacation and I want dessert. I choose restaurants based on the dessert menu...and I want chocolate.

I will also state for the record that I lived for the past 4 years within two blocks of the best French Patisserie in Montreal (Westmount) "Gascogne". The croissants would melt in your mouth...and I also believe if you are going to ingest that much butter you might as well have it filled with the best chocolate. Is there any point to a croissant without chocolate filling???

Now I did have some good desserts and I will admit that with a DD4 we ate at a lot of buffets and character meals.

The cause of my rant here is this dessert from Kona Cafe:

Kilauea Torte - an explosion of warm liquid chocolate inside a brownie volcano
This dessert use to be a "lava" cake where they cook the chocolate batter just enough that the outside is cake like, but when you cut into it the middle is still liquid.

Here is what it is now:

Camera_Download_20071229A234.jpg

(Yes. I was so angry I took a photo)

Basically they are now baking a chocolate chip cookie like cupcake with a hole in it. They then fill the hole with chocolate sauce and cover the hole with whipped cream.

When I asked the waitress about this change she told me that the chefs could not cook the version from the previous menus consistently. That is why they have changed it to "fake" version. I had ordered a similar dessert at Mamma Melrose a few days before and had discovered the hole covered in cream as well.

I do not expect to get a cupcake with Nestle Quick and whipped cream when I am spending $6 to $8 on a dessert. What kind of chefs do they have that can't cook this? My husband can make this from scratch....and he did not attend culinary school....they sell Lava Cake mixes in the supermarket. All you have to do is time it.... I am not asking for this at a buffet or a counter service. I am asking for it to be prepared properly or take it off the menu.

I was upset enough to want to talk to a manager, but the point would have been blurred by the atrocious service we received the rest of the meal. I thought I would come here and share my story with the people who have embraced the "Sad little Crab Cake". I know you will understand and thank you for the support.:hug:

(Someone is going to ask so here are the high or low points...main course arrived just after we had started our apps...and we orders our mains ten minutes after our apps...after been asked for our order 4 times by the waitress. The waitress then picked a knife off the floor and put it on my half finished app plate and blamed me for not telling her I still wanted to eat it. We then had to ask for steak knives or any knife really to eat with....waitress told us we did not need knives. We got attitude all evening...sorry..the 45 minutes we were there. She was really only nice when I complained about the change in the dessert. I think we were in and out faster than 'Ohana and that is a record....our daughter was in the kid's club so we were looking for a longer meal.)

I totally understand why you would be upset, if something is described as one thing and you get another I would be upset too!

But one note about the supermarket mixes for lava cake... I've tried several because I am a huge fan of the lava one at Chili's but none have worked correctly. I can't seem to find a pre-made mix that works like it should. Now I make my own from scratch and I got it to work and my baking skills are seriously lacking!

I totally understand why you would be upset, if something is described as one thing and you get another I would be upset too!

But one note about the supermarket mixes for lava cake... I've tried several because I am a huge fan of the lava one at Chili's but none have worked correctly. I can't seem to find a pre-made mix that works like it should. Now I make my own from scratch and I got it to work and my baking skills are seriously lacking!

Do you hear that Disney, Chili's can make a lava cake but your Ploynesian themed resort restaurant cant~! :sad2:

Oh my gosh!!! You read my mind!!! I was actually in the middle of writing a restaurant review from our trip two weeks ago....I never did get it done, but I was not happy with Kona Cafe's dried-over-cooked-chocolate-chip-volcano-cookie-something-with-something-sorta-gooey-but-not-good-inside dessert. And funny, I did mention that Chili's has MUCH better desserts than that! Kona had one of my favorite entrees, but the dessert was a joke....but not a funny one. (I have no idea how it all disappeared from my plate though. That is a mystery.....:rolleyes1 )

Our service was awesome, our apps and entrees were great too. Sorry about your bad service.....

Maybe I will finish my review....it is all a faded gooey memory now though:rolleyes:

We were there in December and had a fairly good experience - service could have been a little faster, but nothing to complain about and the waiter was nice enough. My wife had the new Kilauea Torte and it was "ok" - It was overcooked for my taste. I would say the winner was the Kona Cone.

On a related note I made the original Kilauea tortes for Christmas eve dinner and they were a hit - but were so rich nobody could finish them, but we tried.

We had our first Kona experience in November. I had that very dessert. On the way out, I asked for the manager and thanked him for a dinner experience that was on par with the Disney Magic cruise we had just taken...

To me, the lava cake has become ubiquitous and boring. Disney's versions have left much to be desired the last several times I've had them. I had this cookie version and it was fabulous. Just enough crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, and gooey in the middle. It was just about the best dessert I had off the ship that week.

That is not to say that someone didn't have a bad server on a bad night with a bad kitchen. Lord knows, I could tell a tale about the Turf Club that very trip that some might find surprising. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your meal and I'm especially sorry you didn't enjoy your dessert. I can't eat at the Garden Grill anymore as there isn't a bit of chocolate in sight. :scared1:

That is unacceptable. Customers order off of a menu based on the description and what you got seemed to be nothing more than false advertising (on a dessert level, but when you are serious about your chocolate, false is false). Maybe Disney should take a lesson from Chef Jackie Lau of Roy's Restaurants who provides in a very easy google seach tips for making the dish full proof - it is super easy to make and has turned out every time for me at home. Maybe a new recipe is in order, Disney???

http://www.luxurydisneyguide.com/recipe_Roy'sSouffle.htm

Thanks everyone. :)

I was not really that upset but I do expect more from Disney. It is really more of a rant on principle. It seems that in the food department they are cutting menus, and creating short cuts for themselves. I guess my problem was not with the taste of the dessert as it was on par with others I had during my trip. The problem becomes that I replicated the dessert in my VWL studio using Toll house cookies from the Main Street Bakeshop, and Nestle syrup from the Merchantile store. I just had to microwave it. Actually it was my four year old that did it.:laughing: And it was pretty tasty too....Do you think I could get her a job as the dessert chef at Kona?;) I see cast discount in my future...she did do the Grand Adventures in Cooking so she does have training.

The same dessert was presented at Mamma Melrose with the same covered hole. We were on our way to Fantasmic so I did only mentioned to the waiter that they cheated and his comment was that I had caught them.

How upset could I really get when I got to spend 19 days at disney and did not have to cook at all. When we wanted a really good meal we went to Jiko...and the desserts were great there.

Oh my gosh!!! You read my mind!!! I was actually in the middle of writing a restaurant review from our trip two weeks ago....I never did get it done, but I was not happy with Kona Cafe's dried-over-cooked-chocolate-chip-volcano-cookie-something-with-something-sorta-gooey-but-not-good-inside dessert. And funny, I did mention that Chili's has MUCH better desserts than that! Kona had one of my favorite entrees, but the dessert was a joke....but not a funny one. (I have no idea how it all disappeared from my plate though. That is a mystery.....:rolleyes1 )

Our service was awesome, our apps and entrees were great too. Sorry about your bad service.....

Maybe I will finish my review....it is all a faded gooey memory now though:rolleyes:

Thanks for the backup. I was hoping it was not just me.

To me, the lava cake has become ubiquitous and boring. Disney's versions have left much to be desired the last several times I've had them. I agree that when done badly is definitally is. I think they have dumb down the dessert. The dessert has gone from being made in better restaurants to a supermarket product. I think that to make a high quality one it needs to be ordered like the souffle at Palio It was just about the best dessert I had off the ship that week.

That is not to say that someone didn't have a bad server on a bad night with a bad kitchen. WE had a host/seating person who was "Earning his Ears" The waitress/waiters were not well organized that night and the gentleman kept taking walk up groups of 8-10 people. The food overall was fine...we just did not have a chance to eat much of the apps and apparently the steak was so tender we did not need knives. When we did get to cut them they were good. I pretty much assumed we had a one off experience but still it happened....we did laugh about is as it was happening....as did the people at the next table when we were told to eat our steak with out knives.Lord knows, I could tell a tale about the Turf Club that very trip that some might find surprising. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your meal and I'm especially sorry you didn't enjoy your dessert. I can't eat at the Garden Grill anymore as there isn't a bit of chocolate in sight. :scared1:

I hope you will allow me to have a short rant here on the Podcast board....

My rant is about the quality of the desserts they are now making. I will state right off that I eat the rest of the meal to get to dessert. It is the main part of the meal for me. I am on vacation and I want dessert. I choose restaurants based on the dessert menu...and I want chocolate.

Disney is a pro at this and should know to keep a mom happy at Disney don't mess with the desserts. During our DP's counter services ofthen joked on our trip that the adults could eat all the desert they wanted but not the kids. A joke with my boys is a 'happy mom' are 'happy kids' becasue when I get grumpy pirate: ......

"Sad little Crab Cake". I know you will understand and thank you for the support.:hug:

Oh I am sure there is a name for this :eek: ....Our decorate your own cupcake at garden grill looked better than that!

I think we were in and out faster than 'Ohana and that is a record....our daughter was in the kid's club so we were looking for a longer meal.)

Last year we went to CG, while my mom watched our kids and the server was so nice, he asked if we had kids and we said we were kid free...he smiled and looked at me and said 'I understand' then told us we were in for the best and slowest meal of our lives! :snooty: it was very nice to not be rushed eating especially when you are without the kids.

Oh my gosh!!! (I have no idea how it all disappeared from my plate though. That is a mystery.....:rolleyes1 )
QUOTE]

Hahaha :worship: I have yet to find a desert I could not eat! Although after seeing the chocolateless lava I might of found my first.

I looked at the pic before I read the post and thought it was a cinamon bun with icing!! :confused3

at Citricos they still make something like the original one you described (i had it this past november).....it's one of my favorite desserts and i always order it if it's on the menu....

i would have been annoyed if i received that thing in the picture too!!!

Very, very sad little cupcake!

Don't blame you one bit for pouting about that major disappointment of a dessert! We chose not to eat at Cinderella's Castle last year because we heard the desserts had changed for the worse and to be honest, the desserts we had there in '05 were some of the highlights of our trip! We were taking pics b/c they were that GOOD. What a bummer for a true dessert lover like yourself. Truly, Disney needs to rethink where they are skimping----it is bad enough to have taken away the lobster and the crab meat, and the higher grades of beef, etc., but DO NOT TAKE AWAY OUR FAV GUILTY PLEASURE---WHOPPERS---I mean, desserts?!! WHA!! Sheesh---our local pizza joint has a far better lava cake than that! You are right to expect more.

Desserts at disney have become one of those things--they're either incredible or horrible. Well, as horrible as desserts get =D

The desserts at the Brown Derby were fabulous (mmm, pumpkin cheesecake, grapefruit cake, and whatever it was my mom had).

Boma's desserts are good, too. Cocomisu and zebra cakes are two of my favorites.

Le Cellier's desserts were okay. The chocolate on chocolate whiskey cake was very chocolaty.

Wow, I'm still thinking about the Brown Derby. My mouth is watering at the Brown Derby. Best meal of the trip. Ask my mother (chelle in nc). I never stop talking about it!

Desserts at disney have become one of those things--they're either incredible or horrible. Well, as horrible as desserts get =D

The desserts at the Brown Derby were fabulous (mmm, pumpkin cheesecake, grapefruit cake, and whatever it was my mom had).

Boma's desserts are good, too. Cocomisu and zebra cakes are two of my favorites.

Le Cellier's desserts were okay. The chocolate on chocolate whiskey cake was very chocolaty.

Wow, I'm still thinking about the Brown Derby. My mouth is watering at the Brown Derby. Best meal of the trip. Ask my mother (chelle in nc). I never stop talking about it!

yuuuummmmm--that's good to hear!

We visited Kona in November and were not impressed. I am a total fan of the lava dessert. If you have The Chart House by you, visit it. You have to order the Lava Cake dessert while ordering your dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter