• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A penny saved is a Penny spent on Disney

pursuethekingdom

Mouseketeer
Anyone got any good ideas on saving money on their cruises?

Last time we got two inside connecting staterooms for a cheaper price than a family suite.

Any other ideas?

I've thought about getting a part time job at my local Disney store or even the Disney Catalogue phone center which is about 25 minutes away from downtown Kansas City. I know this would get a much better cheaper rate.

Bring your own liquor onboard....this can save you a bunch of money.

Take your own photos, or limit the amount you buy at Shutters....you can really get carried away when you see all the great pics...be strong and only take the ones you really, really want.

Do some shore excursion on your own, not thru Disney. We saved a ton of money doing this on the Eastern cruise. We went to Orient beach on our own instead of DCL excursion and saved r $200 with our party of 5.

MJ

I have a vacation account at my bank that I pay into each month, just like a bill. That way I have the money for our trip when it is time.

I also saved quarters (for laundry) and $1 bills (for room service tips) for a couple months before our trip.

We bring our own pop on board instead of buying it (really only want pop once in a while, we didn't drink that much, the drinks at the beverage station on deck 9 were fine for us).

DJ

At the end of each day, DH throws all his loose change and any "stray" dollar bills into a coffee can. It really does add up--we rolled the coins a few weeks ago and came up with $500. This will cover our tips and some of our play money (drinks, excursions) ;) for our next cruise (Feb.). When we turn bottles/cans in for the deposit, this money, too, goes into the pot. Any "found" money is also added (tax refunds, bonuses, etc.)

We keep this going year round, never taking anything out for other purposes, and it really helps to pay for a good part of our trip. (And DH is just great at finding coins lying around. It's embarassing to see him dive under a counter in a store to pick up a penny.) :crazy:

Originally posted by MdmMim
(And DH is just great at finding coins lying around. It's embarassing to see him dive under a counter in a store to pick up a penny.) :crazy:

Too funny!!:p

If you have a disney store near by make a point to buy some disney dollars every few weeks. I usually pick them up in 50's but you can buy as little as you want. If you even buy ten dollars worth a week you will have a nice amount stashed by the time you leave for your trip. This can be put on your account or cashed in at the desk for spending money on the island. I have already put aside 350.00!

I've thought about getting a part time job at my local Disney store or even the Disney Catalogue phone center which is about 25 minutes away from downtown Kansas City. I know this would get a much better cheaper rate.

Just an FYI here--it's not a much better rate--in fact with shipboard credits and rebates that Dreams Unlimited offers, it is about the same as Cast pricing. (trust me I know!) Yes, there are discounts offered, but they are not so easy to obtain, and there are a LOT of restrictions. Don't look for a job with Disney just for the discounts--you will be sorely disappointed.

Sue Ellen

Saving change each week is a great way to fund the vacation. I also use the tax returns and those hard to come by nowadays bonuses...

(And DH is just great at finding coins lying around. It's embarassing to see him dive under a counter in a store to pick up a penny.)

That is my niece's job for all vacations we take her on. She does such a wonderful job of collecting change that she usually ends up with $20-$40 in spending money. And she's only 6!!! Of course if she did this all year she would do better but until vacation is a month or so out she doesn't save her "found" change!!!!:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter