A Salute to all things Disney, but mostly Magic Bars; a July 4th 2019 TR*update 11/28 new TR link!

Can't wait to hear about your HHN experience, especially since we'll be down there in about four weeks and plan to do at least one night at HHN...without EP though! Having done it last year via the RIP tour, I think it will be nice to be able to take it at our own pace this time, even if we have to wait in a few lines. We'll just need a plan ahead of time.

Yes I was #protectingthebangs and also pointing out Billie's freshness in front of us!
Bangs must be protected....it's a rule......
I despise how I look in all the pictures here but LOVE this M&G! Too bad it's going away soon................
This is super cute...Love Billie's outfit!!
Speaking of Lindsey besides spending time with her in AK that night we got to see her and meet her DH on our arrival day along with saying hello to Liesa @Steppesister ! This was a quick meet (although Liesa caught up with us again for a minute later in France) but so nice to see her again:
Awesome! Also I am obsessed with Lindsey's World Showcase dress.
And then there was my "I spy" moment when I recognized Cloe @Cloe Colton getting off the monorail at Epcot! It's not hard to spot her and my short self went up and said hello. So happy I did because it was a great pleasure getting to meet and chat with her and her husband Dan :)
Wow! I can't get over how many people you met!

So do I and I keep telling her how much she's missed here! But she's in school now so between that and work she just doesn't have the time sadly :( Maybe one day she'll come back to us.....................
Ahhh, school. I remember how much time it drained from it added to my life not so long ago! :laughing:Isn't she also writing a blog about it all, too?!

Can't wait to hear about your HHN experience, especially since we'll be down there in about four weeks and plan to do at least one night at HHN...without EP though! Having done it last year via the RIP tour, I think it will be nice to be able to take it at our own pace this time, even if we have to wait in a few lines. We'll just need a plan ahead of time.
Well you will certainly get the chance to take it at your own pace lol! I would pick like 3 or 4 houses you really want to do and hit those first; some got up to 80 minute waits about an hour into it starting. Both shows were really good too!
Love all the meet up pictures! Love the last HM one, Christmas card for sure :rotfl:
Thank you! Yeah I think the kids would be happy if I just did this one and didn't make them sit for one lol
What an awesome bunch of Dis meets. There’s only 1 person missing darn it!!!!:rotfl2:
::yes::
So glad you spotted me!! Dan and I loved getting to chat with you both!
I am too!!
What fun pictures of your DISMeets!
I love my DISMeets! It's sad I really can't do any next month when I'm there for work unless I spot someone and yell to them as I walk by with my work people lol
Im looking forward to your report on Halloween Horror Nights, we've thought about going but haven't made it yet.
I've wanted to go for years now and even though we've been down there when it's going on we never bit the bullet and went. Really glad we did this time!
This is super cute...Love Billie's outfit!!
She wore the cutest dresses each day, which reminds me I need to ask her for the websites she uses!
Awesome! Also I am obsessed with Lindsey's World Showcase dress.
It was adorable. In fact for some reason I think she got it from one of the websites Billie uses?? Or another DIS'er from our EPIC trip if not Billie 😁
Isn't she also writing a blog about it all, too?!
Hmm, I know she was but I'm not sure if she still is?

Happy Thursday! It's time for a NOT-SO-SCARY-HALLOWEEN-NOT-HORROR-NIGHTS report! But first a little bit about my next trip coming up in about a month :goodvibes

You all know I think that when I go in October it's for work, which means it'll be interesting but fo:(r the most part not as fun as most trips. And like all work "conferences" (ours are called FAMS for Familiarization trips) our schedule is pretty much set out for us with very little down time. Therefore my park time will be limited to MNSSHP on the 24th - anyone going??- a few hours somewhere in the evening on the 27th, probably AK but maybe EPCOT, and then the coolest part:

I GET TO DO A VIP TOUR ON THE 28TH!!!!
Our agency was given 2 tours after our FAM officially ends. With one spot going to our owner that meant 19 available spots for about 40 agents who were staying after the FAM/live in the area, so a contest was held every day for 19 days to award those spots. My good friend/fellow TA/travel wife Cathy got the spot on the 2nd day but I didn't get in until day 17! I am so excited for this especially since I missed out on the VIP EPIC Trip tours back in May :( Our owner is pretty much making the tour schedule with a little input from us but all I know right now is that we're probably doing 3 parks (skipping MK) and ending in Epcot to get the VIP seating that comes with the tour for the new night show :banana: Again nothing written in stone yet and she's talking about starting the tour at either noon or 2pm; either way I can't wait! It also means I had to extend my trip another night since she's starting it later in the day so now I'm away 6 nights, the longest I'll be away from the boys AND Steve. That's what I know so far other than that we're touring all the WDW resorts as well as the GN ones!

Now for what some of you have been waiting for.........................................

A NOT-SO-SCARY-HALLOWEEN-NOT-HORROR-NIGHTS REPORT!

I've wanted to go to HHN for a few years now but Steve never wanted to leave Disney for it - yes, I'm serious HE'S the one who didn't want to leave the bubble for Universal! This year he finally showed interest so we got all set to go on 9/15. After having the GF booked for our whole trip and talking things out he - yes HE - also decided we should stay on Uni property after the party so we booked a night at the Hard Rock. This would be my first stay there and Steve's first at any Uni resort.

One cool thing about the HRH is that it's the closest to CityWalk, so we walked over to the party and entered about 6:20. We had Express Pass and I honestly will never EVER do the party without it; it's expensive but SO worth it! It was HOT and the lines for the popular houses would get up to 60-90 minutes. The people in the lines were crammed together and just looking at them made me sweat in places nobody should. Not only that but whoever designs the layout for HHN either gets stoned beforehand or is a cruel, cruel person because regardless of what house you exit the walk back to civilization - or at least the entrance to the nearest house - takes forever. If you've been you know what I'm talking about and if you' haven't been and you go - you'll find out! The other days this trip that we were at Disney we averaged 7-9.5 miles a day while during HHN alone we did 13 miles!

We started out with some houses since there are 10 and even reports from people with EP didn't say they were doing all 10 so I was afraid we wouldn't be able to get them all done. Well FYI between 6:30 and midnight we did all 10 houses, all 6 scare zones, both shows, and ate twice lol. EP was a lifesaver!

Some pictures of the outside of a few houses:

Depths of Fear:

Classic Monsters

Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses which ended up being my favorite!

See how the Classic Monsters is basically a soundstage with the pictures painted on or whatever? That's what the majority of the houses were except with nothing on the outside; just a plain soundstage you walked in. These others with an actual display outside were the exception and more of what I thought they'd all be like. Here's kind of where HHN wasn't what I thought it would be: I didn't think all the houses would be the same. Not sure what I thought really lol but I did expect "something" on the outside that related to what was inside. The detailing inside each house was absolutely amazing which leads to another peeve I had but I'll get to that; not sure why they didn't do more to the outsides but it was disappointing to me.

NIghtingales: Blood Pit
*as we were walking in we walked by 2 girls who had just come out and they told us it was the worst house: I disagree. I really liked the outside and the inside was super cool as well

Here's the deal with the houses from my POV. They aren't scary :duck:Yes if you don't like jump scares then you probably won't like this and if you don't like seeing anything resembling blood/gore you won't like it either. The houses.............were neat. I mentioned a pet peeve and it was that the TM's rushed us through the houses and I really would have liked to be able to look at the detail a bit more! The insides were truly amazing as far as the detail and thought and design that went in to them; they fit the theme they were supposed to to a T. Dracula's section in Classic Monsters and pretty much all of Graveyard Games stand out as areas I wanted to really look at what they did but you had to move so fast you couldn't. The TM's inside the housese were constantly flailing their hands at you telling you to move along .
The houses that were after movies put you in the movie and the Universal originals were also great. House of 1000 Corpses was my fave inside. It's also the only one I thought I might get scared in so I started out holding Steve's hand even though it was like the 6th house we'd done but soon let go lol. The music added to the fun there! Overall the only real "scares" were the actors jumping out at you but keep in mind they aren't allowed to touch you. Thing is after a couple houses you pretty much could figure out where in the house they'd be! Around corners, jumping out of open "windows", anywhere there was a "doorway" with no door and almost anywhere a TM was standing lol. 👻 So I would just expect it and when they jumped out I'd laugh and smile at them which probably pissed them off 😂 I did get "got" once in the Yeti house so that made Steve happy! I also got mad there because there's a scene where a Yeti sticks his arm right through a guy and I had walked by already when he did it so only Steve saw it :headache:

Here's the other thing that got me about the houses; they're all the same. Yeah I didn't realize this! Again not sure what I expected but I didn't think they'd be the same- go in, walk through, actors jump out. Exit :confused3 So as excited as I was to still see some of the houses we left until the end it was rather monotonous.

Let's go on to the scare zones!

Are you loving me for posting these yet??👻 🧛‍♂️ This was the viking one and we did it early on so it's light out. We went back around 11:30 and they had a few more scareators out. They kind of follow you around, walk by you and then "boo" in your face so you get startled. I liked the set ups here!

On our way over toward the Simpson's there were more scareators walking around with chainsaws. This was still early on in the night so even though it was light I wasn't sure yet what exactly they'd do; just kept my guard up and looked over my shoulder constantly lol. I don't mind blood and gore but actually jump scares aren't my favorite.

Steve didn't mind getting up close and personal:

Ugh I wish I could figure out a way to do more than 10 photos per post I have so many more to share! I'll continue in next post................

Let's continue with those scare zones!

More Rob Zombie for you and yes they were playing his music!

Here there were scareators walking around but also a couple little "stage shows" going on:

It's a little hard to see this zombie but she did have a good amount of bloody makeup on and was walking like a perfect zombie, jerking up to people and getting in their face:

And the picture Steve sent Chris that made Chris wish he was with us:

OK my take on the scare zones: when you read about them they sound TERRIFYING. I was more afraid of these than the houses, I really though I would die walking through them before we got there and was thinking I wouldn't be able to take them. Ah, not the case. They were so neat but not scary at all! Yes they would randomly go up and try to scare you; yes there were scareators walking around even outside the scare zones but it was all the same time after time throughout the whole thing: them trying to "surprise" you and make you jump. I will say their makeup and the acting = 100% top notch.

A couple more not so scary scare zone pics:

I see someone hiding 🔪

:thumbsup2

The Killer Klowns from Outer Space was the first house we did and the one that made me think "um, is this it??" It was done superbly and brought back fond memories of watching USA 'UP" All Night with Elvira when they'd show this movie and other 80's B gems like "Sorority Girls at the Slime Bowl-O-Rama :thumbsup2 but made me laugh more than anything else, We walked back over later because I wanted a picture of their ice cream truck and I found something even better!

Whee! My favorite scare zone was near here but I have no pictures for some reason? It was the Vanity Ball-here's the description at least:

"Beauty is pain. Literally. In the streets of Hollywood, your flesh becomes the canvas as blade-wielding artists slice up willing participants into horrific living works of art. Here, going under the knife takes on a whole other meaning. "

This one was super fun and we stayed for like 30 minutes. It's also where we saw Raeven @Raeven and Samantha @xlsm but there isn't a picture of that either :sad1: It happened tho baby it happened! It was just at the end of the night after 11:30 so I wasn't looking my best lol.

It's time for me to run to the chiropractor but I have one more update to do on the shows so that will be later! I'll end with some pictures of the people WITHOUT EP waiting in line:

Yup. Nope. I honestly will tell you I would absolutely under no circumstances do HHN without EP. I enjoyed it and I'll sum that up after I post one more HHN update but it is NOT worth waiting in those lines for those houses!

More to come!

Congrats on the VIP! That is so incredibly awesome! I bet you are so excited!! You so deserve it and how cool that Cathy got it too!!!
LOVE Rob Zombie. House of 1000 Corpses is so freaking twisted! Have you seen the Devil’s Rejects??? Rob Zombie is a sick twist, but also so totally cool. Glad you loved his house the most.

Looks super fun! I'm the same way in haunted houses, I jump but its not actually scary to me. I know the more you freak out the more they prey and like you said they can't touch you so whatevs haha In Canada they CAN touch you and that was definitely the scariest creepiest house I've EVER been in!

As much as I'd like to try HHN we have some really awesome haunted houses around us so I feel like they'd feel so similar to that! Maybe someday though! Did you have to purchase EP outside of your Hard Rock stay since it was for HHN?

First, YAY for you winning a VIP Tour spot!!!! I'm super excited for you, as I know how sad you were in May!!!

Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses which ended up being my favorite!

That movie was so damn twisted!!!! I'm sure that house must have been incredible!

The TM's inside the housese were constantly flailing their hands at you telling you to move along .
I was wondering about that! I mean with all those people waiting in line, I figured they have to kind of hurry you through. That has to really mess with the experience, I'm sure.

Are you loving me for posting these yet??👻 🧛‍♂️
Oh, my gosh!!! That one with the dead horse and the person being ripped in half were a little heavy LOL

More Rob Zombie for you and yes they were playing his music!
Well, I should hope so!!!!

Jimmy's favorite Rob Zombie song is Dragula. He requests it all the time in the car! LOL

I'll end with some pictures of the people WITHOUT EP waiting in line:
Oh, yea, no way.

Yay for the VIP tour, you will love it!

I am a scaredy-cat and we went in 2016 and I understand what you mean. It is not real scary! It is amazing how the props and scare actors bring it all to life. You also are so right about EP, we didn’t spring for it and only got in 3 houses before it was so crazy busy! If I ever do it again, I will definitely get EP!

As I said before I go back to July I want to share a bit of our quick Sept. trip :teacher: Let's begin with a quick picture run through of all my Sept. DISMeets since that's one of the best parts of trips after being on the boards all these years :goodvibes I know some of you don't remember Billie @Elevationist as it's been a couple years since she's graced the DIS with her presence on a regular basis but her reports used to be HI-larious! And she still is ::yes:: So Steve and I were lucky enough to spend almost half our trip with her!!

I thought I spotted Billie in AK last Monday. I didn’t want to be creepy saying hello though :poop: The crowds were awesome last week. Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

OK GUYS HERE'S THE FINAL HHN UPDATE :clown:

In addition to the houses and scare zones there are 2 shows this year; one I believe is new but it's all new to me so I could be wrong. I had read that Academy of Villians: Altered States wasn't good but we wanted to watch them both and I'm glad we did! Again this one had the best music which included Metallica and this guy bending in ways I couldn't even in my younger, bendier, more energetic days:

The main part of the show:

For this we arrived about 2 minutes before it started and got fairly decent seats but that was not the case for the 2nd show, the better of the two. The first showing of that was 10:00 and we walked over about 9:57 only to find that the main viewing area was full. We tried watching from a side angle as we didn't realize it was a water projection show a la Rivers of Light and the side view SUCKED. So we left to do our last 2 houses and went back at 10:40 for the 11:00 show. We got front and center seats and I have to say we were really impressed with this!

The show went through all the licensed houses, showing "scenes" like this and playing music from the movies. For the classic monsters it was the slow eerie music from old black and white movies, loved it! My photos aren't that great but the projections were so good and really clear.

In case you can't tell that's Steve from Stranger Things so let me say that house was cool because the actors were spot on as far as looking like the characters they were playing! Again though not scary at all as I don't find the show scary. It was one of the houses with the longest waits of the night though.

A blurry YAY for more '80s!!

You have to know who this is:

And in between the water stuff also looked great:

SO good and we were so happy we went back to see it! So the party (or event I should say; I heard some fans get mad when you call it a party lol) went until 1am on this night and at 11:40 we had done all 10 houses, both shows, all 6 scare zones and sat for about 15-20 minutes to eat ice cream and people watch. At this point we were hungry so we grabbed food at the Today Cafe before walking back to the Hard Rock and we were in our room at 12:30.

Here are my overall thoughts on our first HHN summed up:

We totally enjoyed it and will do it again! While it wasn't all I expected and a couple things like the level of fear and the swiftness with which we were moved through the houses left a sour taste in my mouth we feel it's worth the $$. I will say we have a yearly "haunted house" place by me that is scarier and also on the pricey side FWIW. Anyhoo the only other negative is the way the houses are spread out aka the distance you have to walk from the exit back to civilization :mad: Also I didn't see anyone in a wheelchair or scooter going through the houses and honestly I have no idea how they would! I'm wondering if the houses are in any way handicap accessible and have been meaning to check that out......

The scare factor: this isn't recommend (by Universal) for kids under 14 and I can see why. Chris at 13 would be fine but Ricky at 17 would have been out of there after our first house :rotfl: BUT, if you think your kid can handle it I would stay start with the houses you've researched that seem the least scary and walk through a scare zone while it's still light. Then decide if maybe there are any houses that would be too much; it's a lot of $$ if your kid decides an hour in to it that they hate it. The shows are fine for anyone but the Academy had it's first show at 8:30 I think and the water show didn't start until 10.

Finally I want to explain how relaxing this night was, yes relaxing! When 30 minutes in we had done 2 houses and a scare zone we realized we didn't have to rush at all and could walk slow and not worry or stress about doing what we wanted, due largely if not full to having the EP! This is such a difference from MNSSHP which I LOVE but always feel like I'm rushing through to be sure I see the parade (usually both) fireworks, special stuff like Carlotta, any meets etc. Before I know it the party is over and it feels like it flies by and usually there's at least one thing we don't get done but I didn't feel at all like HHN flew by. One other thing HHN has over MNSSHP is the FOOD OPTIONS! You know Steve and I love our food so it has to be said lol. At MNSSHP you may be familiar with the fact that other than special snacks there are limited QS open during the party and they all usually close before the end of the party. At HHN there were TON of food locations open in addition to the party drink stands and party snacks! I mean pretty much any type of food you could want you could get there so another thing we didn't have to worry about was waiting too long to get food; we could eat on our way out and still had tons of options to choose from :thumbsup2

I know this go word heavy so I'll leave it at that. I hope you all enjoyed my review! Have a great weekend and we'll be back to your regularly scheduled July TR asap!

Congrats on the VIP! That is so incredibly awesome! I bet you are so excited!! You so deserve it and how cool that Cathy got it too!!!
I am! After she got it I really stepped up my contest game lol even though some days I was not liking what we had to do. Now if only our owner would let us know the plan!
Have you seen the Devil’s Rejects??? Rob Zombie is a sick twist, but also so totally cool. Glad you loved his house the most.
I haven't seen that in years but after HHN Steve and I both said we want to watch both movies again. Haven't had the chance yet but we will :thumbsup2
Looks super fun! I'm the same way in haunted houses, I jump but its not actually scary to me. I know the more you freak out the more they prey and like you said they can't touch you so whatevs haha In Canada they CAN touch you and that was definitely the scariest creepiest house I've EVER been in!
Wow where in Canada???? Not so easy for us to get there as it is for you lol but inquiring minds want to know! We have a cool one about 45 minutes north of us; Headless Horseman, but even there they can't touch you
Did you have to purchase EP outside of your Hard Rock stay since it was for HHN?
Unfortunately yes because regardless of what resort you stay at, EP for HHN is extra :(
First, YAY for you winning a VIP Tour spot!!!! I'm super excited for you, as I know how sad you were in May!!!
Thank you! Yes I was like no WAY am I being offered a free VIP tour for the 2nd time and NOT getting to go lol!
I was wondering about that! I mean with all those people waiting in line, I figured they have to kind of hurry you through. That has to really mess with the experience, I'm sure.
It does make sense that we can't take our time; guess it was just something I hadn't thought about? I also didn't really think about how detailed the houses would be and that I'd want to examine closely! I know there are tours you can do which I'm not wholly familiar with but I wonder if any get you in the houses before they are officially open for the night. THAT would be cool.
Oh, my gosh!!! That one with the dead horse and the person being ripped in half were a little heavy LOL
Um sorry :rolleyes1 haha I considered that when I posted it but the picture won out 😆
Jimmy's favorite Rob Zombie song is Dragula. He requests it all the time in the car! LOL
OMG that is both hysterical and wonderful!!
We leave that day, probably noon/1:00 via magical express. but will be in Epcot that morning? Maybe? I "need" my coaster set!
Ugh I wish you were there through the night! We have our tour of the Disney Fantasy during the day and won't be back until 4:00 so my park time will be after that. Stinks we're down there at the same time but can't meet up! Where are you staying again?

Yay for the VIP tour, you will love it!
I am so excited!
am a scaredy-cat and we went in 2016 and I understand what you mean. It is not real scary! It is amazing how the props and scare actors bring it all to life. You also are so right about EP, we didn’t spring for it and only got in 3 houses before it was so crazy busy! If I ever do it again, I will definitely get EP!
No it's not but I feel like they promote it as terrifying lol! But the actors truly do a wonderful job. The EP makes ALL the difference, when we saw houses get up to 80 minutes an hour in to the event we patted ourselves on the back ::yes:: If you happen to have 2 or 3HHN nights planned then you could manage everything without it but the $ you'd spend wouldn't be any less and I rather be able to go through at my own pace with no worries.
I thought I spotted Billie in AK last Monday. I didn’t want to be creepy saying hello though :poop: The crowds were awesome last week. Can’t wait to hear about your trip!
AH you should have said hi to her!! She would have enjoyed being recognized especially after all her time off the boards :) She was there all day on the 16th and then Steve and myself met up with her there around 5 followed soon after by Lindsey @LindseyJo22

The crowds were the BEST! We've been there this year alone in Jan/Feb/May/July/Aug and Sept was absolutely the best crowd-wise. Also the 2nd worst humidity wise :scared: We are planning to go next Sept. with our granddaughter and her parents and are thinking of doing the same week. I've read the crowds have picked up a bit this week so our week must be the breaking point lol

Congratulations on winning a spot on the VIP Tour! I'm sure you'll love it!

I have zero interest in HHN (I'm the jumpiest person EVER so people creeping out to startle me... no thank you!). Still, I enjoyed your review and am glad you enjoyed your time there. I do agree 100% that Express Pass at Universal is AWESOME - after using it the past two trips I think I'd have a hard time visiting Universal without it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter