A Tornado hit our neighborhood today

TIdoublegaER

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
I live in Kansas City, North and an F3-F4 tornado caused extensive damage to our area and destroyed/damaged houses 2 blocks from our house. :( It was just a little too close to home. We took shelter immediately as soon as the sirens sounded and I am so glad we did. This storm did extensive damage starting on the Kansas side of the city and ripped through the areas I have called home for 18 years. My kids won't have school tomorrow because the city of Liberty, which is a suburb, suffered major damage and a state of emergency was declared. It is one thing to see tornado damage on tv and quite another to see it and realize that I just drove by those areas this morning and now they don't exist. All of my thoughts and prayers are with those who lost everything.

I am so glad you are alright. My prayers go to your friends and neighbors.
That's scary.

:eek:

I'm so glad you're okay!! My thoughts will be with you and your neighbors as you work through the fear and the cleanup...

I am glad you are okay. Do we have any more DISers in that area?

I'm so glad you are OK, everyone seems to be pulling together to help thier neighbors.
We watched it all on TV and luckly we were not affected. (We are near Raytown). They said this is the worst series of tornadoes in over 10 years. Are you watching TV5's special or Fox 4?
It was pretty scary!

Originally posted by TIdoublegaER
......It is one thing to see tornado damage on tv and quite another to see it....
So very true, TIdoublegaER. My best for you all, along with prayer for all who were killed, injured or had damage.

After driving through a tornado davastated area, I have forever been changed regarding this type of weather. It is stunning to witness.

Some pics:

slide_wallcloud.jpg

slide_platte.jpg

1263186_BG3.jpg

1263186_BG4.jpg

story.house.ap.jpg

2178837.jpg

2178847.jpg

OmG how terrible.glad you are ok.prayers for all the people affected.

Sonya,

We actually lost power about 4:45, so we were all sitting in the dog's kennel in the basement wondering what was going on. Our dog's kennel is really an outdoor dog run that we have put inside (he's a Great Dane). So we didn't really get a grasp of the damage until about 6:30 when we went to my mom's about 10 min away because she still had power. The police did have our neighborhood all barricaded off, so I knew it was close. Then ofcourse as soon as we leave to go home another batch of severe storms move through. Fortunately, our power was back on when we got home. I'm totally stressed out and all I lost was my power. I really can't imagine what these poor people who lost their homes must be going through.

Most of our family lives here in the city and the tornado hit the next street over from my SIL's in Gladstone. Our family was very lucky - it all just missed us.

We're at home now. We drove through the neighborhood on our way back and it is just surreal. I drove by some of these homes just this morning to run some errands, now there are some missing the roof, broken windows, some homes are totally gone and the ones next to them are just slightly damaged. We have insulation and roof shingles in our yard. Hopefully the kids won't have nightmares tonight.

Glad your ok TIdoublegaER,I'm also a resident of Twiser Alley(TX branch) and know the feeling(mostly close calls but there was the flood last summer)

OMG,

glad everyone is ok. Those pictures are stunning. I can't imagine.

The Weather Channnel is reporting sighting of 54 tornadoes in the midwest last nite!.

herc.

We also live in Gladstone. Very bad day! We didn't have any damage, but know others that did. My DD was so scared! I just thank God that it happened on a Sunday. If it had been on a week day, DD would have been home alone. She is 15 and school would have been out by that time. It hit within a mile of our house. Way to close for comfort.

It's been so many years since a large tornado has gone through the KC area and stayed on the ground. Since the 50's and the Ruskin Heights tornado, most of the time they have just touched down briefly and then lifted. I think people had started to feel overly secure. Well, that's gone now!

Our prayers to all of those across the midwest that were hit!

So glad that you are all okay. Those pictures are absolutely terrifying, Sonya.

I was just watching the news and heard and saw there horrific damage!!
Thank God you are ok ! Our Prayers are with your community!!!

I can't imagine going through such a thing! I remember once a tornado struck across the street from my apartment when I was living alone years ago and it was so loud! But it was the only tornado; I can't imagine several being all around.

Hang in there, hopefully today will be much better. I understand that several areas to the east may be under the gun today though. :(

WOW, I was out of town until late last night and just saw this today...how awful. :( My mom lives in K.C. and I grew up there and know first hand how terrible tornadoes can be, one hit my school when I was five and I saw it first hand.

My prayers are with those affected!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and the other people of KC who were effected by the storms yesterday. I know exactly how you feel about being so close to the destruction. This past October, my wife and I were flying back from a Disney Cruise when our plane was diverted from Akron/Canton Airport to Pittsburgh due to bad weather. Little did we know how bad it was. While we were in the air, a tornado touched down 6 blocks from our house. Our kids were home with MIL Marge. We didn't get home until the following day and were shocked to see the devistation so near to our home and our loved ones. Thankfully, there were no fatalities that resulted from the storm that hit our town and the neighboring community.

So when you hear to sirens, take shelter. You can never be too careful.

My thoughts are with everyone who has been touched by this tragedy.:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter