A WDW Vet's Thoughts on First Ever DL Visit

Hi, first time poster here. I just read this wonderful thread and just got back from 3 days at the DLR for the first time. I am a long time WDW Vet and got the chance to visit because of my wife having business in San Diego. The one thing that I didn't see mentioned was the line cutting that seemed to occur on every ride I was on. I have never seen this in WDW ever and just thought it was a disgrace. Plus the cast members didn't seem to give the "Disney Experience" I experience in WDW all the time. A lot of them didn't seem like they wanted to be there and even talked about their low pay to me.

I loved DCA and Cars Land was incredible, hands down my favorite theme park setting ever. It was amazing going on the original Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion in DLR. The BTMR ending was great too. I did notice rides were going down all day long also. Between the line cutting, unfriendly cm's and rides breaking down sometimes I thought I was at a six flags with disney rides in it but I didn't let it bother me as much because I was still having a great time.

I'm so sorry you had bad experiences with CM's. I've never noticed rampant line cutting but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. Very glad that neither of these downers ruined your trip!

Yeah, even the worst day in Disney is the better than the best day outside, lol. Honestly, I really enjoyed Disneyland and DCA. I thought it was pretty awesome walking down main street USA and knowing Walt walked down the same street. The history is amazing and the weather was beautiful for March. Don't get me wrong there were a lot of nice CM's also and everyone has bad days. The poster above said it perfect with you can't compare both DLR and WDW. They are both amazing for what the offer and I think any Disney fan should visit both!

The one thing I've noticed that DL doesn't have a lot of is crying babies. WDW has baby/family meltdowns all the time but you don't see it hardly at all in DL. Another plus for proximity I guess.

I find it fascinating to read other peoples preferences and opinions on the pros and cons of the various parks, now let me tell you where your opinions are wrong, jk! :rotfl2:

I actually agree with you on just about everything, my only major disagreement would be that I find Space Mtn to be much better at DL than at MK, I love the music but mainly it's about how smooth DL SM is vs MK SM. I also slightly disagree about the fireworks, I love Wishes but I adore the RDCT fireworks show! Wishes is touching and brings tears to my eyes but RDCT is just pure fun and makes me feel like a 5 year old. :thumbsup2

Glad to hear you had a good time. I love DLR and consider it my home away from home but I also can't wait to return to the complete escape from reality I find I can only get at WDW.

ETA: The parks are similar but also different, unique and special in their own special ways and I'm just glad I don't have to pick a favorite.

Thanks for this thread. As a WDW fanatic and frequent (as frequent as my husband will allow) visitor, I've been dying to going to DLR soon because as much as I'm a WDW fanatic, I'm more of a Walt Disney fanatic.

I've always wanted to go visit DLR because I want to feel closer to Walt and walk in his footsteps etc. and some other WDW visitors I know think I'm nuts just because they think DLR won't be as fun but then again they go to the parks for the rides mostly, not the atmosphere, history, etc. I appreciate it all and love to hear from others that do as well!

My boyfriend and I just got back from our first trip to WDW (we are DLR AP holders). We were actually in Florida the week before you were in California! I think your comparisons are very fair! When you're used to one park and you go to the other, you can't help but compare. They're both so magical if different ways!

I will disagree with you on Space Mountain. We were disappointed with WDW's version. It just seemed so outdated to us. It was very jerky and not having a soundtrack in the ride vehicle really made a difference. We rode once and didn't want to ride again. We love the smoothness of DLR's Space and honestly, one of my favorite parts is the actual queue. I LOVE being able to watch people load into/unload off of the ride vehicle was you wind your way down to the loading area. That part always just makes me more excited than I already am! WDW's Space did have some cool effects and the outside of the dome is absolutely beautiful! So big! (Well, everything at WDW is big and beautiful!)

I'm glad you enjoyed your first trip to DLR! I'm going back for my first time since I got back from Florida this weekend and I hope I'm not disappointed with the castle haha

My two best points for Disneyland are the beautiful weather, no sweating no afternoon thunder showers, and Las Vegas.A trip to DL without at least a stopover in Las Vegas is a missed opportunity.

Thanks for this thread. As a WDW fanatic and frequent (as frequent as my husband will allow) visitor, I've been dying to going to DLR soon because as much as I'm a WDW fanatic, I'm more of a Walt Disney fanatic.

I've always wanted to go visit DLR because I want to feel closer to Walt and walk in his footsteps etc. and some other WDW visitors I know think I'm nuts just because they think DLR won't be as fun but then again they go to the parks for the rides mostly, not the atmosphere, history, etc. I appreciate it all and love to hear from others that do as well!

If they go mostly for the rides, that happens to be a DLR strength actually. DLR's two parks have almost as many rides as WDW's four parks put together. And the rides at DLR tend to be better. There are really only a few WDW rides I miss at DLR. Rockin Rollercoaster, Expedition Everest, Philharmagic and Great Movie Ride.

And for many reasons including longer park hours, walking distance hotels, and generally shorter lines for rides, you can do a lot more rides per day at DLR than at WDW.

:wizard:

If they go mostly for the rides, that happens to be a DLR strength actually. DLR's two parks have almost as many rides as WDW's four parks put together. And the rides at DLR tend to be better. There are really only a few WDW rides I miss at DLR. Rockin Rollercoaster, Expedition Everest, Philharmagic and Great Movie Ride.

And for many reasons including longer park hours, walking distance hotels, and generally shorter lines for rides, you can do a lot more rides per day at DLR than at WDW.

You had me at shorter lines :hyper:

don't forget mention that DLCA does not yet have Fastpass+ ;)

we have been going to WDW every year since 2004, sometimes multiple times per year. we lived for 1 yr on SoCal and frequented DLCA as locals with the SoCal AP. I can tell you that while I cut my teeth on WDW, DLCA stole my heart. We are returning to DLCA for a 10d trip (5 park days) this June and we are so excited.

My two best points for Disneyland are the beautiful weather, no sweating no afternoon thunder showers, and Las Vegas.A trip to DL without at least a stopover in Las Vegas is a missed opportunity.

The weather was beautiful in early March...I imagine it's even better early summer. (And we ventured to Las Vegas, too, so my brothers and I didn't miss that opportunity.)

I must say that I'm shocked by the love for Space Mountain! Yes, I agree on the fact that the music is awfully nice, but I just can't help but think that the coaster portion of the ride is just incredibly disappointing. Oh, well! I'm definitely alone in that opinion apparently!

One tradition I have at Disneyland is that every time I leave the park, I blow a kiss at the lighted window in the Fire Station and say, "Thanks, Walt." The fact that Walt actually stayed in that apartment is just so special.

Hi, first time poster here. I just read this wonderful thread and just got back from 3 days at the DLR for the first time. I am a long time WDW Vet and got the chance to visit because of my wife having business in San Diego. The one thing that I didn't see mentioned was the line cutting that seemed to occur on every ride I was on. I have never seen this in WDW ever and just thought it was a disgrace. Plus the cast members didn't seem to give the "Disney Experience" I experience in WDW all the time. A lot of them didn't seem like they wanted to be there and even talked about their low pay to me.

I loved DCA and Cars Land was incredible, hands down my favorite theme park setting ever. It was amazing going on the original Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion in DLR. The BTMR ending was great too. I did notice rides were going down all day long also. Between the line cutting, unfriendly cm's and rides breaking down sometimes I thought I was at a six flags with disney rides in it but I didn't let it bother me as much because I was still having a great time.

I'm really surprised by two of the three points here. I don't go nearly as much as some of the others here do, but I have been 5 times in the last 2.5 years and i didn't see any line-cutting or any nastiness from the CMs. In fact I've made sure to email about several CMs who went above and beyond on my trips. I'm so sorry you had this experience! I wonder if being there during spring break season may had anything to do with it? I tend to go during lower traffic times.

Point 3 I kinda get...the last two times I've been i was surprised at how many ride shutdowns there were, including three prolonged shut downs while I was on the ride in question during my last trip (RSR, Indy and Splash). It feels like this has been a more common occurrence lately, but maybe that's just anecdotal based on my recent experience.

Great thread to the OP btw, I really enjoyed the comparisons. I, sadly, haven't been to WDW since I was in college, and it's fun to see how vets from the other coast view the california parks.

It's interesting to read different perspectives. I am a Californian who grew up going to DL. I've also been to WDW several times. My husband and I both remarked recently about how much friendlier we find the CMs at disneyland! During our recent trip to WDW there were many CMs who obviously did not want to be there but we have never had a negative encounter at DL! I remember thinking on my first trip to WdW that they were not nearly as friendly.

You may love it. Or not. As DL vets, we didn't love our first WDW trip last year. It's important to be really hard-core about the fact that the resorts and parks are incredibly different places. Like going through a weird Disney wormhole. More likely you'll love some things and just be "meh" on some things. Thinking about it, though, I think that's how we all are with our home Disney parks. The "meh" things just seem magnified when we visit our "non-home" parks.

That said, eat yourself silly. DLR counter service rocks WDW's socks off.

It's interesting to read different perspectives. I am a Californian who grew up going to DL. I've also been to WDW several times. My husband and I both remarked recently about how much friendlier we find the CMs at disneyland! During our recent trip to WDW there were many CMs who obviously did not want to be there but we have never had a negative encounter at DL! I remember thinking on my first trip to WdW that they were not nearly as friendly.

Totally agree. I said so on my blog last year and WDW CMs left lots of angry comments.

we have been going to WDW every year since 2004, sometimes multiple times per year. we lived for 1 yr on SoCal and frequented DLCA as locals with the SoCal AP. I can tell you that while I cut my teeth on WDW, DLCA stole my heart. We are returning to DLCA for a 10d trip (5 park days) this June and we are so excited.
That's great to hear. In a perfect world I could just visit them each once a year at least, without any financial burdens! I've been pricing out trips to Disneyland and I definitely want a good chunk of time because I don't know when I'd be able to go next.

One tradition I have at Disneyland is that every time I leave the park, I blow a kiss at the lighted window in the Fire Station and say, "Thanks, Walt." The fact that Walt actually stayed in that apartment is just so special.

This is amazing. I've always wanted to go just to stand outside of that window. I got goosebumps reading your comment.

You may love it. Or not. As DL vets, we didn't love our first WDW trip last year. It's important to be really hard-core about the fact that the resorts and parks are incredibly different places. Like going through a weird Disney wormhole. More likely you'll love some things and just be "meh" on some things. Thinking about it, though, I think that's how we all are with our home Disney parks. The "meh" things just seem magnified when we visit our "non-home" parks.

That said, eat yourself silly. DLR counter service rocks WDW's socks off.

Pretty good to know, I don't have too many issues with WDW's food, but I do find myself wishing there was some more variety at counter service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter