A Yooper's Quest for Balance - Disney Full in 2012 (Motivation Encouraged)

Disney Yooper

Formerly UP Disney
First, I'll do the introductions. My name is Vicki and I'm a Yooper. Many of you are probably wondering what is a Yooper? If you know your U.S. geograpy, you know that there is an Upper and Lower Peninsula of Michigan which is joined by the 5-mile Mackinac Bridge. The two land masses do not touch each other in any way. Those who live above the Mackinac Bridge in the Upper Peninsula are known as Yoopers. Those that live below the bridge in the Lower Peninsula are known as Trolls. I was born a Troll but gave my heart to the U.P. when we moved there when I was 13. To add to the fun, I took a promotion two years ago which has me living below the bridge during the week (7 hours from home). However, my husband (the love of my life) lives in our permanent home in the U.P. so I still declare myself a Yooper.

I am a workaholic and overachiever. I don't do things half way. This tends to also cause procrastination on my part because once I commit, I tend to go overboard. Therefore, it sometimes takes me a while to commit. I think that I'm finally committed to finding balance in my life. I put too many hours in at work and don't spend any time exercising or taking care of myself. That ends now!

Two years ago, I decided I wanted to run a full marathon before my 50th birthday. The first step was to get off the couch and start running. With the help of the C25K program, I did just that. I then signed up for the Inaugural Disney Princess Half Marathon in 2009. With the help of the book Marathoning for Mortals, I trained for 3 months on a treadmill (a necessity if you know anything about Michigan winters). My goal was to finish the race without being swept. I successfully completed the race averaging about 14.5 minute miles. Things changed in my work life which made it more difficult to find time to run. My plans for running a full by my 50th were put aside.

That brings us to the current time. My DH & I planned a quick trip to Disney for the F&WF the 1st week-end of October. After scheduling it, we found out that there was going to be a 5K and Half Marathon so we signed up for the 5K. It was exhilirating to be running through the Magic Kingdom. We ended up talking to many of the people who ran the half marathon on Sunday, and I became inspired with my original goal. However, my 50th is just over a year away. I really want to run my first full at Disney. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I could run my first full just after I turn 50. In this way, I can prove to myself that 50 is just a number.

This quest is not going to be an easy one for me. I tend to work 60-70 hours a week and I live 7 hours from home so have 14 hour drives every other week-end to visit my DH. I have no exercise equipment in my apartment and don't want to spend the money to join the YMCA. We are looking for a treadmill for the apartment and we have one at home. In the mean time, I need to get myself outside before the snow flies to get started on my training.

Please join me in my quest to find the balance I need in my life.

Hi Vicki. Welcome to the WISH journals.

I'm excited to follow your journey to the full marathon in 2012! I hope you can find a tredmill for your apartment soon so you can get in out of the cold... Brrrr.

My mom ended up finding a used treadmill for my apartment. My cousin's are coming tomorrow for a visit so they can help me unload it from my vehicle. My exercise begins on Saturday. I'm looking at signing up for the Princess Half Marathon at the end of February but have to make sure we can afford it first.

I can't believe that it has been 8 months since I started this thread and posted. How truly sad that I have nothing to show for those months on the way to my goal.

That changes now! I have signed up for the full marathon in January. I have 5 months to prepare. I am currently at least 30 pounds over my ideal weight. I have a brand new, state of the art treadmill and plan to purchase a Garmin 305 to run outside when it cools down a little. My running clothes and shoes are all set.

My journey starts in the morning. My first mini goal is to drink as much water as pepsi and to get in the runs as outlined in marathoning for mortals. My ultimate goal is to complete the marathon at Disney without being swept. I know I can do this. Please help me along the way.

I was good so far today. I drank as much water as pepsi. I was careful about my meals. Keep on swimming, keep on swimming.

Had breakfast and drank my water. Watched my portions. It's a good start. I'm also laying out my training plan which starts on Monday.

I've been doing great with my water. At least 40 oz. every day. That has reduced my pepsi intake as well. Started my official training program for the full marathon on Monday - 5 months to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter