• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ABC's of Trip Planning (Oct 10-20), Vol. 2- Z is for: Zippidee Doo Dah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V is for: Very, Very Snackalicious

Going to Disney for this ol’ gal is far more about thrills and chills; it takes me back to a childhood filled with the wonder of pretend and the nostalgia of many, many trips into the park. ‘Back then’ there was only one that I was privileged to go to, but that was enough to have developed a lifelong enchantment with what Mr. Disney both envisioned and created- a place where both the young and the young at heart could go together and enjoy it over and over. There were trips with my own family, some with my beloved Grandmother, some with school friends, some all by myself or fellow CMs.

After my college years and working at the place I loved most though, the trips became fewer and further apart. I was blessed with children moved away, money was tight, and I had adventures only a small handful have ever experienced. I am not sad or regretful that I couldn’t go to “my Happy Place” year after year, but life is now back to place in which I can finally go again and hopefully a lot more often than in the last 30 years.

Not surprisingly, snacks were a part of every trip. Not a HUGE part, nor an end to themselves, but enough that some of those snacks that have been eaten on many of those trips just have to be done so again simply for nostalgia’s sake alone. Some of my very earliest memories are of eating frozen bananas in the MK while walking around Fantasyland- back when the Skyway was still running. We’d eat them in line and have to snarf at the end and risk brain freeze for a spin on the Storybook Boats. To this day, I absolutely detest bananas if raw. Even cooked is pushing it big time; banana cream pudding or pie is an instant gag and possible barf. But for some reason, I can eat them, no, in fact like them, frozen. Especially with chocolate and nuts. Might be a texture thing.

The other snacks that I will be getting because I’ve always gotten them before are these:

1) A Minnie’s strawberry bar. Because I love them and have always considered them my go-to in EPCOT.

2) Rice Cream. There is simply NO better snack in all of WDW. Anywhere. An ode to Rice Cream…

Rice Cream, Nice Cream, how do I love thee so.
Let me count the ways, and list them all below.

You make my mouth water, you are so sweet to me,
If all would taste and see, I’m sure they would agree.

You’re perfectly sized and come at a decent price,
On a hot afternoon under the shade of Pavilion fair,
Your creaminess is nice.

3) A jalapeno cream cheese pretzel. Dear Santa, I’ve been a very good girl this year, mostly. I mean certainly good enough for a jalapeno cream cheese pretzel. So... pretty please. Some mean people are saying that you don’t have those in your big Santa-bag anymore, but if it’s possible, I’ll glue wooden nutcrackers together in your woodshop if you would let me have just one JCCP this trip.

4) Dole Whips. There are many things I would still love to do with my life and going to Disney prison with the shame of not having had a Dole whip would seriously impede many of them. Besides that they are just very, very delicious. You can thank me now that I am now too tired to write an ode to the Dole Whip. Maybe for the TR.

5) While I AM a person who loves a hefty dose of nostalgic pigging out, I am NOT one who cannot appreciate the adventure of trying to make new and perhaps more delicious traditions. Some things that are on my radar for this trip: Frozen Chai Latte at Animal Kingdom found at The Royal Anandapur Tea Company. Pretty excited for this one. Corn dog nuggets, but these are more of a meal than a snack, and probably should have gone in the list of “already had, and MUST have again’s”. I do love me some of Casey’s nuggets. Wow, sorry about that; that sounded a little iffy.

And lastly, there is plenty of built in room for some surprises! Honestly, with Food and Wine, and some really top notch, fancypants meals coming up, we may not really need to be doing a ton of snacking. But a few things just must be done. It’s tradition.

Your packing talk reminds me of the lovely packing cubes I started getting about two years ago:

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-cubes/l/212?Attributes=Pack-It Specter™

Kind of similar to zip lock bags, but more durable and the size is perfect for luggage. They come in different sizes for different things. I started slow and then asked for a bunch of them for Christmas from my parents (my father loved the idea and got some for him and my mother, too).

Sounds like you have a lovely list of snacks. I think I really very rarely snack at WDW. Somehow most snacks are far too big for me. But I have shared a few candy apples with Michael in the past. But now they have stopped cutting them up for you and will just give you a plastic knife. That does NOT work well! So, I think the candy apple will be something we bring back to the villa to professionally slaughter it there.

I am sooo all about the snacks. It's always so hard to fit them in between all the meal delishiousness to be had lol...but I know I can count on you for a few lol. I actually am one of those people who has never tried a Dole whip...not for lack of wanting to, but just never seem to be in the right place when I would have room for such a snack...every time I've walked by...I'm always stuffed to bursting with other park food goodness...sigh. Next time...

Each day's outfit is going to go into a Ziplock with the date on it, so I can grab, dress and go. No time spent "figuring it out".

I haven't actually done this myself, but dd did it for camp this year (sans dates). I had seen the suggestion on a Girl Scout fb group, and she loved the idea, especially since it would also keep her clothes dry in case of rain. (She was in a platform tent). She said it worked out really well - I think mostly because then she didn't have to dig for undies each time. Most outfits were jean shorts and a t-shirt, so it's not like she needed to figure out what coordinated!

Of course we needed to beat the heat with cool beverages! It just happened that a lot of them turned out to be of the adult variety! :lmao:

:worship:

I liked the spiderweb picture a couple of pages back. :thumbsup2 Yes, "photograph of the century" might have been pushing it, but definitely worthy of dragging your butt out there.

Hi! You have had lots going on! Your new floor looks like it is coming along goid. Glad to hear your dad us doing well. Too bad Cynthia and E won't be coming. I would suggest they look at U of O, but The Ducks are looking like Beavers this year. :rotfl2:

Oh, your snack list has made me hungry at bedtime. Rice Dream! A family holiday favorite. Such a treat to find in my homeland at Epcot. We call it Glorified Rice, which I'm pretty sure is because it is geavenly. :angel: I don't see many peeps mention it. I hope you find your pretzel.

I love bringing the laundry sheets and coffee packs..in separate suitcases of course. Can't have the coffee tasting like soap. You are so close almost time to throw those pink crocs in the bag and zip it up!:jumping1:

Hi! You have had lots going on! Your new floor looks like it is coming along goid.

And everything is put back now too. Except Mike broke the toilet tank bolts as he was trying to finish putting that on. So, still no toilet in the small bathroom. Which means MY bathroom is being used by WAY too many people. I do not like what they do in there when I am in my bathtub. Smelly business having a one holer these days. Hopefully this weekend, we can wrap that gig up.

Too bad Cynthia and E won't be coming. I would suggest they look at U of O, but The Ducks are looking like Beavers this year. :rotfl2:

Yeahup, they lost 2 in a row now. Knuckleheads. What a crappy record so far this season.

I hope you find your pretzel.

I wonder what Santa would need to pony up.

I love bringing the laundry sheets and coffee packs..in separate suitcases of course. Can't have the coffee tasting like soap. You are so close almost time to throw those pink crocs in the bag and zip it up!:jumping1:

No, soapy coffee would definitely NOT be good. EW!

Sadly, my pink Crocs were lost in the move from Portland to Salem 5 years ago when we bought our house. I am heart-broken.

I haven't actually done this myself, but dd did it for camp this year (sans dates). I had seen the suggestion on a Girl Scout fb group, and she loved the idea, especially since it would also keep her clothes dry in case of rain. (She was in a platform tent). She said it worked out really well - I think mostly because then she didn't have to dig for undies each time. Most outfits were jean shorts and a t-shirt, so it's not like she needed to figure out what coordinated!

I really don't want to have to dig and hunt and stew about it each morning. I have time now; I won't have much then.

I liked the spiderweb picture a couple of pages back. :thumbsup2 Yes, "photograph of the century" might have been pushing it, but definitely worthy of dragging your butt out there.

Thanks! It was definitely worth dragging my day-off-carcass out of the warmth and goodness of my deep, deep pillows. It got quite a few likes on the photogs page I am part of.

Your packing talk reminds me of the lovely packing cubes I started getting about two years ago:

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-cubes/l/212?Attributes=Pack-It Specter™

Kind of similar to zip lock bags, but more durable and the size is perfect for luggage. They come in different sizes for different things. I started slow and then asked for a bunch of them for Christmas from my parents (my father loved the idea and got some for him and my mother, too).

I might have to look into that too, now that I may be going at least to DLR every year. I see more travel in my future as I've got a steady income now.

Sounds like you have a lovely list of snacks. I think I really very rarely snack at WDW. Somehow most snacks are far too big for me. But I have shared a few candy apples with Michael in the past. But now they have stopped cutting them up for you and will just give you a plastic knife. That does NOT work well! So, I think the candy apple will be something we bring back to the villa to professionally slaughter it there.

That's a shame they won't cut them anymore. Such an easy (and free) customer service thing for them. The idea of taking it back to the villa is a good one though; they are perfect for a late night snack before bed.

I am sooo all about the snacks. It's always so hard to fit them in between all the meal delishiousness to be had lol...but I know I can count on you for a few lol. I actually am one of those people who has never tried a Dole whip...not for lack of wanting to, but just never seem to be in the right place when I would have room for such a snack...every time I've walked by...I'm always stuffed to bursting with other park food goodness...sigh. Next time...

Random Thoughts and Miscellaneous News:

I am ansty. My pants are crawling with antsiness, because my 2nd set of MBs has STILL not arrived. I do not like that they aren't here yet, and am starting to panic. Just a little; like I said, I'm only in the antsy in my pantsies phase of fret. Also waiting on pins and needles for my luggage tags. Seriously, people, this is NOT a comfortable place to be sitting. Bandless and tagless. I feel somewhat naked and alone without these bare necessities.

All of the Daily BFPs have been thoroughly gone over with a fine tooth comb (last night's form of entertainment) and I feel truly ready to rock and roll with the game plans. Rope Drops will be a veritable eat-my-dust extravaganza- GET OUT OF MY WAY, PEOPLE, BEEP, BEEP! If you stop on the sidewalk, I WILL mow you down. Places to be; things to do!

Tomorrow the last purchases should arrive and the REAL packing will get done. Packing up until now has involved piling heaps upon heaps of crap on my bedroom floor. It's an organized pile of crap though, but it's not actually IN any suitcases. All in good time, my Pretties. All in good time.

Meantime, here's the breakdown of "Lasts" before the trip:

Countdown by the numbers:

1 Hair Appointment

1 Nail/Pedi Appointment

6 or 7 work days (next week's schedule isn't out yet)

13 sleeps (14 if you think I'll sleep on the plane)

4 REAL PTR Updates

1 Weekend

5 True days off to get stuff done (OMG!!! This strikes real and horrible panic in my heart!)

1 more Bill Paying drudgery. No, there is no one, not one, who hates this chore more than myself.

2 more Gas Tank fills

1 more PAYCHECK!

6 loads of laundry (3 a week)

1 Homecoming Photo Shoot (my first paid photog gig!) this Saturday night

And 55 billion more dishes to wash before someone else does them for 2 whole glorious weeks.

Last edited:
I'm sure your tags will be there soon. I believe they will come to Brook first? I'm trying to catch on to how that part works by watching OUR TA page. Can you see what's happening with the bands on your MDE site? Seems like we got a notice when ours shipoed.

Wow! I can't believe how many things you are counting! Even down to the number of tanks of gas! How do you know such things?

My MB arrived yesterday so your second one should be there any day. I understand you live in a far more rural area so mail probably takes a little longer. Regardless, your old bands will work for your new room. All bands are interchangeable. With the one I got yesterday I now have one of each color. Fran has been declining bands for our last two trips. We just bring all our old ones and then I match the bands to my outfits.

Congrats on the photog gig! How cool is that?

I can count one of those things. I have a mani pedi today and then just a mani in two weeks and a day. Three weeks from today is my day, I just realized that! Wow! I guess I better get a move on! Soon you'll be gone to your happy place and I'll have no one to remind me how woefully behind I am! :lmao:

I might have to look into that too, now that I may be going at least to DLR every year. I see more travel in my future as I've got a steady income now.

They sell a set of packing bags - same style as eBags - at one of the shops in the Marketplace Coop in Disney Springs. Hubby picked up a set last spring. There's a lot of cute travel stuff in that shop.

Bummer that they won't cut the apples anymore. They were still cutting them at the caramel shop in Germany last spring. I would always buy one early in the trip, towards the end of the day, and take it to the room to have a piece or two every evening while I'd sort through receipts and get all of my electronics plugged in for the night. I don't think the little plastic knives in the room will do a very good job of it.

I'm sure your tags will be there soon. I believe they will come to Brook first? I'm trying to catch on to how that part works by watching OUR TA page. Can you see what's happening with the bands on your MDE site? Seems like we got a notice when ours shipoed.

Yes, the tags do come from Brook. I'm sure she's on top of it, but gosh darn I want to see them ON the luggage. :) I will check the MDE and see what I can find out.

Wow! I can't believe how many things you are counting! Even down to the number of tanks of gas! How do you know such things?

Just call me Queen Leota. ;)

My MB arrived yesterday so your second one should be there any day. I understand you live in a far more rural area so mail probably takes a little longer. Regardless, your old bands will work for your new room. All bands are interchangeable. With the one I got yesterday I now have one of each color. Fran has been declining bands for our last two trips. We just bring all our old ones and then I match the bands to my outfits.

Just starting my cool-ection now. Maybe next trip, I"ll have the luxury of color-coordinating the bands to outfits. Meantime, I picked up some skins to attach. (Which also still haven't arrived (the 2nd set I ordered) but were shipped on the 12th!! How long can those possibly take to ship?!)

Congrats on the photog gig! How cool is that?

Thanks! I'm pretty excited, but scared to death! I've not done people very much and don't want to screw this up!

I can count one of those things. I have a mani pedi today and then just a mani in two weeks and a day. Three weeks from today is my day, I just realized that! Wow! I guess I better get a move on! Soon you'll be gone to your happy place and I'll have no one to remind me how woefully behind I am! :lmao:

I love my feet getting done! I'm excited to have them all prettied up. Did you hear the story of the last trip I had to Disney and the weirdo in the Security Line?

They sell a set of packing bags - same style as eBags - at one of the shops in the Marketplace Coop in Disney Springs. Hubby picked up a set last spring. There's a lot of cute travel stuff in that shop.

Were they outrageously expensive being Disney? I'll check it out on our DTD 1/2 day.

Bummer that they won't cut the apples anymore. They were still cutting them at the caramel shop in Germany last spring. I would always buy one early in the trip, towards the end of the day, and take it to the room to have a piece or two every evening while I'd sort through receipts and get all of my electronics plugged in for the night. I don't think the little plastic knives in the room will do a very good job of it.

I'm not a HUGE apple eater, and the kids can't eat them with braces, but if I were to get one, I'd sure think it'd be no skin off their noses to just cut the darn thing. What? It takes like 5 seconds?

Random Thoughts and Miscellaneous News:

I am ansty. My pants are crawling with antsiness, because my 2nd set of MBs has STILL not arrived. I do not like that they aren't here yet, and am starting to panic. Just a little; like I said, I'm only in the antsy in my pantsies phase of fret. Also waiting on pins and needles for my luggage tags. Seriously, people, this is NOT a comfortable place to be sitting. Bandless and tagless. I feel somewhat naked and alone without these bare necessities.

If you have one set of Magic bands for everybody you can use them at both resorts, but yeah, I would totally want both sets. I usually take an old one so I have color options. You should be able to check on your MDE to see if they are processing or have shipped yet.

If the tags are your magical Express tags then I would call. Mine came the 9th of Sept and I leave a couple days after you do. Last spring when I requested my husband's when I checked on them they had no record of it, and this summer they only got my son's trip down (so he did have the luggage tag) but not the info for the return flight.

All of the Daily BFPs have been thoroughly gone over with a fine tooth comb (last night's form of entertainment) and I feel truly ready to rock and roll with the game plans. Rope Drops will be a veritable eat-my-dust extravaganza- GET OUT OF MY WAY, PEOPLE, BEEP, BEEP! If you stop on the sidewalk, I WILL mow you down. Places to be; things to do!

Duly noted :car:

Tomorrow the last purchases should arrive and the REAL packing will get done. Packing up until now has involved piling heaps upon heaps of crap on my bedroom floor. It's an organized pile of crap though, but it's not actually IN any suitcases. All in good time, my Pretties. All in good time.
My "bathroom bag" is packed....my husband STILL hasn't UNpacked from his trip, so the real packing hasn't begun yet

Meantime, here's the breakdown of "Lasts" before the trip:

Countdown by the numbers:

1 Hair Appointment
Probably not

1 Nail/Pedi Appointment
Pedi - definitely!

6 or 7 work days (next week's schedule isn't out yet)

13 sleeps (14 if you think I'll sleep on the plane)
14 at home, 1 near the airport

4 REAL PTR Updates
nope

1 Weekend
2 - but it's Scenic Drive both weekends about a block from my house so I don't know how productive they'll be

5 True days off to get stuff done (OMG!!! This strikes real and horrible panic in my heart!)
Hmmm...with semi-useless weekends I guess I'd better get hubby emptying that suitcase ASAP

1 more Bill Paying drudgery. No, there is no one, not one, who hates this chore more than myself.
Mine is mostly online or auto-pay so it's kinda continuous

2 more Gas Tank fills
also kinda continuous

1 more PAYCHECK!
wish it was continuous, but 2 before and 1 the day after I leave

6 loads of laundry (3 a week)
again...continuous :sad2:

1 Homecoming Photo Shoot (my first paid photog gig!) this Saturday night
how cool!

And 55 billion more dishes to wash before someone else does them for 2 whole glorious weeks.
yeah - that's continuous too:sad1:

"They sell a set of packing bags - same style as eBags - at one of the shops in the Marketplace Coop in Disney Springs. Hubby picked up a set last spring. There's a lot of cute travel stuff in that shop."

Were they outrageously expensive being Disney? I'll check it out on our DTD 1/2 day.

It was a 3 pack
Lg - Blue with Mickey with a suitcase 14 x 18.5 x 3,
Med - green with Minnie and suitcase 10.5 x 14 x 2.75,
Small- yellow with an old Disney Mickey head logo 9 x 12 x 2.5.
On the Disney store site they are listed at $35 for the set. I think he got a passholder or cardholder discount when he bought them down there.

I have seen them online and they look cute. The ones that I linked to are of really thin, but robust material. I have seen others that are thicker and I would be wary of the weight and bulk those add to my suitcase. But there are a number of products out there and I would suggest to do some research as to what is the best fit.

Ok, now I am unsure. I was pretty sure that we had some issue at one shop somewhere, but that would have been in December 2014. And I remember my boyfriend who has been to WDW since complaining about it, too. Maybe you got lucky or the secret is that the caramel shop still does it, but other locations not... Interesting!

OMG it is getting soooooo close!! Totally understand the antsiness though...I would be too. They will arrive any day though! You are lucky to be getting them at all in the mail lol since us Canadians don't even have that option and have to wait until we actually arrive at the hotel to get them...sigh. And all that packing and organizing will be fun...just makes the anticipation that much better!!!

W is for: Well, it happened.

Remember WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back when. In the Dark Ages when life was all about Nursing School and the birth of a Disney Trip? When life was stressful and scary? (It's not anymore. I can actually sleep at night and my hair isn't falling out anymore.) Long, LONG before Michaela knew this term's schedule for her classes, in a galaxy far, far away...

The winds of change began to blow yesterday when I casually mentioned that she should re-visit the possibility of her being able to go given that her classes were only on Mondays and Wednesdays this term. I threw out some what-if's and the wheels began to turn. What if she were to have me book a Red Eye out of PDX on the 12th and arrive fairly early on the 13th? What if, she were to only miss one day of classes and return on the 18th? What if she could get the time off of work?

The stars began to align today when she told me she had asked all of her professors about missing one day, and every single one said, "no problem". We are waiting for her to get time off, but it's a miniscule chance that won't happen; her boss loves her and she's a supervisor. And she makes the best Blizzard on the continent. The chances are so small in fact, that I took a gamble and we....

BOOKED HER FLIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am beyond thrilled, just absolutely ecstatic, that she can go on this trip and I can have some adult-y fun with her now that she's 21. So, here's the Deets:

She'll be arriving at nearly 10:00 AM on the 13th after a long Red Eye night. I found one for a total of $444, which wasn't too bad considering the WAY, WAY, WAY late notice! I imagine she'll get to AoA around 11:00 or so, where we had already planned on having a swim and pizza break by the Pool. Nom, nom, nom. She'll probably take a little nap, and then we'll all head back out to EPCOT for the afternoon. That is the afternoon of our Behind the Seeds Tour, so I've asked Brook to help me add that.

Brook will also begin to work on a ticket, adding her to our resort, ADRs and whatever FiPs she can find. That part may be very, very tough, but we'll do what we can. Which makes RD for our intrepid little party even more important to "do well". I can't, at this point, afford to add her to the V&A Dinner or the Wanyama Tour, but she will have a marvelous time without those expensive extras. Sadly, she'll miss MNSSHP by one day too. WAH!

Anyway, there ya have it. A bona fide Trip Planning Emergency. Can we build it? YES, WE CAN!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter