ABD cancelations

that must be a new policy, because I called in Mid January and was told that my 8/11 Quest for the West trip was at 49% and a "go." Of course, they didn't promise anything, because I guess cancellations are always possible.

It seems like the cancellations are rampant this year though. Last year, we did Southwest Splendors and we had one couple on our trip who had to re-schedule their vacation because their earlier adults only trip was cancelled. They were a delight to travel with and I think they enjoyed our group as much as we enjoyed them.

Now I'm worried though given the economy and the news of constant cancellations. It seems like even the most popular trips (Southwest Splendors and Costa Rica) are not immune from cancellation.

Turtlemom :sad2:

It seems also that during the school year is when the cancellations occur.

Does anyone know if the July 1 to Aug 31 season has cancellations too?

Just wondering if some are not filling up as people don't want to take kids out of school.

We have a back to back ABD planned for the summer, and I'm hoping that it won't be cancelled, as we do live in Canada, and we had to book our own airfaire, and I doubt if they will refund it, as it was very expensive, and I know the contract reads, they will refund "within reason" what ever that means.

Ivory, For most of the US, school is out the first week or early part of the second week of June. So these trips that are getting cancelled for mid and late June are during the summer.

Also, schools in the South start back in mid August. I think in the North it's after Labor Day in September, but it differs from region to region.

So it's hard to say if it's school considerations or not. I think more likely a bad economy overall and too rapid expansion by ABD.

turtlemom, I do think it's an new policy to not give out as much info as they used to. As late as December, I was getting at least some info, but as of two weeks ago they started being much more coy.

I think they're trying to put a good face on, and for most people who aren't on the boards, it's proably working. If I didn't know they were cancelling trips left and right, I might have believed them when they said they were only concerned about me not having as much fun with a smaller group and that's why they wanted to reschedule me. :rolleyes:

We've gone on three ABD--two in the summer (07-Italy and 08-China) and one over this last Christmas (London/Paris), all prime vacation times and all relatively full. We haven't been very interested in the US trips, even though I am sure they are full of Disney magic and great detail, because we are mostly interested in a worry-free foreign trip. Disney does a great job with eliminating the uncertainty that goes with travelling overseas--and while they bring detail to US trips that you wouldn't otherwise do on your own, we have weighed the costs and decided to do the US on our own. Are there many overseas trips being cancelled? (Hard to tell from these blogs--seems like most are off season/US trips getting the ax). I don't blame Disney--they can't control the economy nor do business in the red. But...is there a better way to address the panic creeping into all of this? I can't think of any--they do warn up front about cancellations, and advise to book air through them etc--so there is an element of risk taking if you book on your own. What if people cancel at the last minute--should Disney be forced to incur the fixed costs of a trip, which might drive up the costs of all trips? Or is the problem with the treatment by the folks on the reservation line? Would it help to know that for a trip in July that, as of Feb 3, it is 45 percent full? What if it goes 100 percent by April? What if by May it drops to 30 percent? Who should take on the risk/expense? I guess my bottom line on this: it is all an adventure, and the trips by Disney are worth the expense (assuming your personal budget can tolerate it in this economy). I assume the ABD people read these blogs--maybe we can offer constructive criticism?

Well, personally, I'd love to know why Tauck and Backroads can guarantee not to cancel a tour, but ABD can't. Surely the expenses are pretty much the same for all 3 companies?

Sayhello

....feel free to pm me and I will begin to keep a daily log of dates and names of what trips have been canceled. and if you feel compelled, tell me how you feel about it. I feel that this will help all of us who invested a lot of money, time and effort into this just to fear getting "that dreaded phone call" from ABD. Don't misunderstand, I love ABD, I too fear having my Oct. 9th Spirit of America trip canceled by them as well. And yes, rebooking is a big pain in my opinion. :confused3

- thanks for listening.

I firmly believe that there is something ABD can do to avoid cancelling so many vacations. NO I don't expect ADB to operate in the red but I do expect a level of service from Disney that I have not seen. I think they offer too many dates for each trip and if they offered fewer dates then they would have to cancel fewer trips. I can work around the dates they offer initially I just can't work round it when they cancel the trip and this is the second one they have cancelled on me I won't be a fool and book with them again. Not worth the aggravation they cause.

I too love the ABDs. And I do think they are worth the expense, which is why when we weighed the cost, even a US trip that we could do on our own for less seemed worth it, to get the magic.

But with a husband who travels a couple of weeks every month, and a kid who has her own schedule to work around, finding a week or ten days to vacation in a year takes an act of congress in our house.

Once we lock something in, rescheduling six months later is just not possible, as the entire rest of the year has been planned around the vacation. (not to mention the 20 or so employees who then plan their vacation time around DH's) And it is desperately needed family time to allow us all to reconnect and have fun together.

I had a great experience on the adventure I did last year. But the bottom line is that my vacation time is far too precious to entrust to a company who seems so comfortable with overscheduling their inteneraries and then weeding out the unprofitable ones, even if the ones that do go are magical.

I firmly believe that there is something ABD can do to avoid cancelling so many vacations. NO I don't expect ADB to operate in the red but I do expect a level of service from Disney that I have not seen. I think they offer too many dates for each trip and if they offered fewer dates then they would have to cancel fewer trips. I can work around the dates they offer initially I just can't work round it when they cancel the trip and this is the second one they have cancelled on me I won't be a fool and book with them again. Not worth the aggravation they cause.

::yes:: yes, what Tozzie said ::yes::

I agree with the sentiments--and understand the fear of cancellation! But what is the solution in a rotten economy? I would suspect that when Disney started planning the trips for this year, it was a while back (the China trip, for example, was several years in the making--and they are still exploring Japan as an option, rumor has it). The launch was successful and the feedback, I would guess, was great--look at how all of us feel about our past trips! So Disney got sideswiped by the dramatic downturn in the economy after committing to a large expansion--and now has to retrench. I'm with all of you regarding the frustration in not getting information out of the reservations folks, so maybe one thing Disney should do is be frank with everyone regarding the ABD trips planned for this year and the plan they have to deal with a sudden downturn in reservations. I've been on tours (not Disney) with one guide and one bus driver--OK as things go, but having two really makes a big difference (a lot more pampering--and switching off the "details" duty while the other tends to the guests is smart). I have heard of trips being scaled back with one Disney guide--anyone do one of those? I just don't think it would be the same. Maybe Disney could post for each trip what the minimum number is--I'm sure it varies with each designation given the fixed costs--and also post or have available general numbers, with ages of kids too. Just some thoughts on how all of this could be improved!

Just got off the phone with Andrea at ABD, trying to rebook our trip.
She said there are only two senior speicalists authorized to deal with, in her words, "all these trips we've just cancelled."

So ouch! I bet there's been more cancellations than those reported here.

Anyway, she could not rebook me and in fact wouldn't talk about it at all, would only give me the direct line to the other two, both of whom, natch, were on another line.

So I'm guessing that the frustration guests are feeling has come to the attention of ABD and they are trying to do some damage control. I certainly think the girl who informed me of the cancellation yesterday should not have been the one to do it.

We'll see what happens.

I agree with the sentiments--and understand the fear of cancellation! But what is the solution in a rotten economy? I would suspect that when Disney started planning the trips for this year, it was a while back (the China trip, for example, was several years in the making--and they are still exploring Japan as an option, rumor has it). The launch was successful and the feedback, I would guess, was great--look at how all of us feel about our past trips! So Disney got sideswiped by the dramatic downturn in the economy after committing to a large expansion--and now has to retrench. I'm with all of you regarding the frustration in not getting information out of the reservations folks, so maybe one thing Disney should do is be frank with everyone regarding the ABD trips planned for this year and the plan they have to deal with a sudden downturn in reservations. I've been on tours (not Disney) with one guide and one bus driver--OK as things go, but having two really makes a big difference (a lot more pampering--and switching off the "details" duty while the other tends to the guests is smart). I have heard of trips being scaled back with one Disney guide--anyone do one of those? I just don't think it would be the same. Maybe Disney could post for each trip what the minimum number is--I'm sure it varies with each designation given the fixed costs--and also post or have available general numbers, with ages of kids too. Just some thoughts on how all of this could be improved!

The economy wasn't rotten last year when they cancelled my trip, and several others. The economy was starting to take a drastic turn prior to the release of the dates for 2009. I am usually a defender of disney but not this time, I booked my trip on August 14th and that is when I scheduled my vacation and up until January 5th I could have changed my vacation time, now after being told not to worry when I made a payment in early January the trip is cancelled three weeks later and I am stuck because I have post trip hotel arrangement booked with DVC points so I had to find a trip in Calfirornia that conicided with the dates as the dates are cemeted in. I am stuck with backstage magic, it is not the trip I wanted and it is a lot of money to pay for a trip that I am not enthusiasic at all about taking but I was stuck. SO while you want to defend disney's right to not operate in the red, I will say it again. Disney needs to find a better way because I should not be feeling the way I am about a vacation to disney but I am, I am not looking forward to it and yes they could do better. Again few trips, even before the downturn in the economy they should have had few trips.

I had a great experience on the adventure I did last year. But the bottom line is that my vacation time is far too precious to entrust to a company who seems so comfortable with overscheduling their inteneraries and then weeding out the unprofitable ones, even if the ones that do go are magical.
I think this is a wonderfully eloquent way to put it, and really mirrors what I feel & think.

Sayhello

Just got off the phone with Andrea at ABD, trying to rebook our trip.
She said there are only two senior speicalists authorized to deal with, in her words, "all these trips we've just cancelled."

So ouch! I bet there's been more cancellations than those reported here.

Anyway, she could not rebook me and in fact wouldn't talk about it at all, would only give me the direct line to the other two, both of whom, natch, were on another line.

So I'm guessing that the frustration guests are feeling has come to the attention of ABD and they are trying to do some damage control. I certainly think the girl who informed me of the cancellation yesterday should not have been the one to do it.

We'll see what happens.

I was prolly on the phone with one of them, sorry. The only good thing about this whole mess is that I thought I had to pay $2000 more on the trip and when all is said and done Disney owes me $103 dollars.

I was prolly on the phone with one of them, sorry. The only good thing about this whole mess is that I thought I had to pay $2000 more on the trip and when all is said and done Disney owes me $103 dollars.

...now you for prompting me. I will be calling ABD AGAIN on WED and seeing just what's up on my trip - Oct 9th "Spririt of America".
Feel very nervous about getting "that call". Wondering if I shud just cancel and move on. Don't know. My phone isn't on at home - I only use it for outbound calls only so I don't know what is the REAL status of my trip. My TA hasn't e-mailed me about the status of it but.........

THIS STINKS!!!! THEY ARE BOOKING FOR NUMEROUS TRIPS YET ARE PLAYING WITH OUR VACATION SCHEDULES, TIME, EFFORT, MONEY, ETC....

RRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! Small vent.

FEEDBACK????????

October is still a long way off. I booked a July Costa Rica trip in May last year. ABD sent out a promotion last year in May. If you want to cacenl, that's your business, of course, but just wanted to point out that there are people who don't make their vacation plans this early. Good luck!

October is still a long way off. I booked a July Costa Rica trip in May last year. ABD sent out a promotion last year in May. If you want to cacenl, that's your business, of course, but just wanted to point out that there are people who don't make their vacation plans this early. Good luck!

......the issue of when the trip occurs has nothing to do with posters complaints. What they are upset about is ABD canceling their trips...be it 2 weeks from departure to 20 weeks from departure based upon occupany issues. This ways heavily on their minds as it does mine. So here I am in fear of getting that "dreaded phone call" whenever just because ABD can't be straight up honest with their customers. ***HINT HINT***** I am getting multiple upon multiple pm's being sent to me (per my request) from people who also share my concerns (since they are in the same position) and I am formulaing a list since out of these requests, there is one particualr individual who is wanting this from me who will in turn send this high up the chain at ABD. Can't say a whole lot more as I want to respect this one individual. Needless to say, this is making me very nervous as it is obvious I am not alone on this issue. So again, I stress, It is not the issue of when the trip occurs, its the issue that ABD has an issue here of controlling the flood gates and they are doing a laughable and quite poor job of maintaining it all in trying to "finess" their way through a Titanical situation. Yes, I am on the verge of throwing in the towel here and moving my money on over to a company that I can trust. ****TAKE NOTE **** that last sentence has NOTHING TO DO with when a trip is canceled.

......the issue of when the trip occurs has nothing to do with posters complaints. What they are upset about is ABD canceling their trips...be it 2 weeks from departure to 20 weeks from departure based upon occupany issues. This ways heavily on their minds as it does mine. So here I am in fear of getting that "dreaded phone call" whenever just because ABD can't be straight up honest with their customers. ***HINT HINT***** I am getting multiple upon multiple pm's being sent to me (per my request) from people who also share my concerns (since they are in the same position) and I am formulaing a list since out of these requests, there is one particualr individual who is wanting this from me who will in turn send this high up the chain at ABD. Can't say a whole lot more as I want to respect this one individual. Needless to say, this is making me very nervous as it is obvious I am not alone on this issue. So again, I stress, It is not the issue of when the trip occurs, its the issue that ABD has an issue here of controlling the flood gates and they are doing a laughable and quite poor job of maintaining it all in trying to "finess" their way through a Titanical situation. Yes, I am on the verge of throwing in the towel here and moving my money on over to a company that I can trust. ****TAKE NOTE **** that last sentence has NOTHING TO DO with when a trip is canceled.

.....asked her how many people were going on this trip. ** SHE REFUSED TO SAY.***** 2) I asked her is it fair to say that at this time is the trip 50% or more booked or is it 50% or less booked. ****AGAIN----SHE REFUSED TO SAY***** Now my question to all of you is......WHY????
Is this how we service the guest??? BY being coy and not coming out with the real answer? Again, I am beginning to sense a "run on the bank" mentality by the huddled masses and you know what?? I DON'T BLAME THEM. WHY?? IT'S A MATTER OF TRUST.

Again - I point back to what I quoted earlier.....this is a matter of trust and this company has no clue how to earn a guest's trust. This company really needs to go back to the drawing board on how they were founded and concentrate on this as a building block to how to run a company. Just my "two cents worth" from this "valued" ABD guest. :rolleyes2

I got my call yesterday. My Costa Rican trip for the end of September has been cancelled. It was an adults only and the early booking discounts were gone by the tme I booked it so I'm not sure how "empty" this one was. That's 8 months out that they are already cancelling.

We thoroughly enjoyed our AbD trip last year but I too have concerns on whether or not I want to rebook with them. I do not have great flexibility in vacation planning with my work either and I don't want to find myself 4 weeks from vacation time and getting cancelled again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter