ABD European Short Escapes - thoughts?

ngl

DIS Veteran
We have kids 10 & 8 and are looking to take the plunge into a European trip. We have done Tauck and are DVC so have been to every property (we live in FL and did Aulani, GC, HH & Vero). We also enjoy the Beaches Resort in the Turks. What we are trying to do is combine a "big city" European trip with a more relaxing beach or mountain portion in Europe. We noticed ABD has Amsterdam, Barcelona, Budapest, Copenhagen, and Rome for short escapes (not interested in London & Paris - my husband worked in those cities so we would like to experience something new too!)

We are planning this for summer 2020. If you could do one of these short escapes and pair it with a nearby beach/mountain "relaxing" area what would you choose? And do you have any resorts in those beach/mountain areas you would recommend? We have been all over the map on planning this trip from Disney European cruises to Tauck trips - just trying not to have a fully scheduled trip like that but also experience some of the scheduling if that makes sense!

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the DIS crowd because it seems many of us have the same tastes & wants so always find it helpful. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
A few pointers

Denmark has the Real Legoland ( Billund ) & lots of water ( Cold as compared to Tampa area ) & beaches

Trip to Sweden & Germany is very easy.

( 2 ) The Netherlands is very flat so to get mountains you must go to Belgium & Luxemburg

It has The Efteling & Toverland , Mauradam + others Theme Parks .

( 3 ) Austria For Castles , Lakes & Cable Cars ( Gondolas ) & boat trips around lakes

( 4 ) Barcelona in Catalonia a province of Spain has beaches & Formula 1 Theme Park

( 5 ) Rome is good but beach is not part of City . Rome is really for Adults & History

( 6 ) Budapest for Adults ... I have not been to Hungary .... yet .

All the above can be done by yourselves & by renting a car

All the above I have done with my family over the last 40 years . Driving From Ireland & towing a Camper Van

Later this month we fly to Zagreb ( Croatia ) for a long weekend

Easter will be in Amsterdam & drive to Belgium for family Birthday

We have kids 10 & 8 and are looking to take the plunge into a European trip. We have done Tauck and are DVC so have been to every property (we live in FL and did Aulani, GC, HH & Vero). We also enjoy the Beaches Resort in the Turks. What we are trying to do is combine a "big city" European trip with a more relaxing beach or mountain portion in Europe. We noticed ABD has Amsterdam, Barcelona, Budapest, Copenhagen, and Rome for short escapes (not interested in London & Paris - my husband worked in those cities so we would like to experience something new too!)

We are planning this for summer 2020. If you could do one of these short escapes and pair it with a nearby beach/mountain "relaxing" area what would you choose? And do you have any resorts in those beach/mountain areas you would recommend? We have been all over the map on planning this trip from Disney European cruises to Tauck trips - just trying not to have a fully scheduled trip like that but also experience some of the scheduling if that makes sense!

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the DIS crowd because it seems many of us have the same tastes & wants so always find it helpful. Thank you in advance!

I’ve been fortunate to visit all the places you listed through ABD or DCL but Amsterdam & Budapest. I’m doing the ABD Budapest short escape next summer before the ABD Danube river cruise. Given what you’ve said, I would recommend the Barcelona short escape. You can then pair it with beach time in Barcelona or in Malaga/Marbella which is on the Spain coast(Coasta del Sol). Check out the Spain ABD to see where they are staying and what activities they are doing. Greece also has awesome beaches, but remember that European beaches are sometimes different from US ones— more rocks than sand.

I have been to Barcelona several times when the DCL Med Cruises embarked from there. I absolutely love the city. While I didn’t spend time on the beach when I was there, I did see it. There will be lots for the kids and adults to do and it’s an easy city to navigate. Copenhagen is an awesome place, but I’m not sure it would be the beach destination you would want. You can never go wrong with Rome and there should be several beaches within an easy train ride. I don’t think rules allow me to attach the link, so just google it.

Like you, I’m DVC. if you haven’t already, check RCI to see what properties are available in the European beach areas for the dates you want. That may help you make you decision. Good luck!

I’ve been fortunate to visit all the places you listed through ABD or DCL but Amsterdam & Budapest. I’m doing the ABD Budapest short escape next summer before the ABD Danube river cruise.
You are going to *love* Budapest! I wish I'd had more time there before my Danube river cruise. Enjoy!

Sayhello

I’ve been fortunate to visit all the places you listed through ABD or DCL but Amsterdam & Budapest. I’m doing the ABD Budapest short escape next summer before the ABD Danube river cruise.
Not to hijack this post, but when is your trip next summer? DS and I will be on the June 27 Danube and we’re also doing the Budapest short escape - our first ABDs!

Not to hijack this post, but when is your trip next summer? DS and I will be on the June 27 Danube and we’re also doing the Budapest short escape - our first ABDs!

If you’re doing the short escape before the river cruise, we’ll be on both together. My plan is to come in a few days early to see some of the Budapest sights(museums) ABD isn’t going to. I also want to make time to go to the baths that I’ve heard so much about. You’re going to love ABD! Congratulations on booking your first ones.

If you’re doing the short escape before the river cruise, we’ll be on both together. My plan is to come in a few days early to see some of the Budapest sights(museums) ABD isn’t going to. I also want to make time to go to the baths that I’ve heard so much about. You’re going to love ABD! Congratulations on booking your first ones.
Yay!! So excited! I would love to come in earlier than the short escape, but I can't take that much time off from work, so we'll likely arrive the day the short escape begins. I've been to Europe enough to know that I can power through that day and be good to go by Day 2. I'm hoping DS can do the same. He's fairly adaptable, but I've got my fingers crossed! It'll be my second time to Budapest - I love the city and can't wait to get back. Looking forward to meeting you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter