ABD trimming departure dates

Agree that I found the whole process infuriating. And I'm sure the refund will take long enough that I will end up having to pay the huge credit card bill that has our PIF on it, and then will end up with a huge credit on the same credit card once the refund comes in (versus the timing working out so the charge and refund net on the same statement) and will have to request a funds transfer from Chase. Such a hassle, when I think as you do that ABD almost certainly knew two weeks ago that this trip wouldn't happen. So glad I never booked air for this trip. I had one hotel to cancel, but that was booked with Hilton points and took about 30 second to cancel and get my points back. I think it is highly unlikely that we will ever book another trip with ABD....
I didn't even think about the huge CC payment and then the need to ask for money back from Chase. What a huge PITA. I have flights booked but they are award flights so easily cancelled. I'm with you. The way they've handled things over the pandemic has really been the nail in the coffin for me with ABD.

Agree with all of this very much! We had to play chicken with Disney last year because they insisted our trips to China and Southeast Asia were a go. Infuriating. We used our one move and now we’re back in the same situation.

If Disney would just cancel before the PIF date it would be so much easier for everyone!
Ugh. So frustrating. During uncertain times like this when they've have had to cancel almost every international trip for over a year, they should not be demanding payment until they can assure their guests that the trip is going to go. Ridiculous and makes the company look bad.

I completely agree @Calfan and @CaliforniaGirl09! We have paid in full for two Egypt ABD's now only to have them cancelled a few weeks later. With PIF now due at 65 days, it seems to me that ABD should know whether a trip is a go or not at that point. We have Portugal and Spain booked b2b in Sept 2021 and I am very hesitant to PIF without a guarantee of a go (which I don't expect to have). This will be the third strike as far as I am concerned.

Tauck has cancelled some trips as far out as December 2021. They are also sending emails to guests booked on trips this summer as to whether their trips are a go or not. ABD really needs some lessons in communication and transparency. Otherwise, they are going to left with none of their loyal customers after this pandemic. I am not sure who is at the top, but they need to be sent packing!

And I'm sure the refund will take long enough that I will end up having to pay the huge credit card bill that has our PIF on it, and then will end up with a huge credit on the same credit card once the refund comes in (versus the timing working out so the charge and refund net on the same statement) and will have to request a funds transfer from Chase
Sharing refund timing on my two cancellations- I had the refund back to my card within a week, even though they said it could take up to 30 days. I think the longer timing might be if the card is no longer valid or if trip was paid with gift cards.

Sharing refund timing on my two cancellations- I had the refund back to my card within a week, even though they said it could take up to 30 days. I think the longer timing might be if the card is no longer valid or if trip was paid with gift cards.

That would be fantastic.

I didn't even think about the huge CC payment and then the need to ask for money back from Chase. What a huge PITA. I have flights booked but they are award flights so easily cancelled. I'm with you. The way they've handled things over the pandemic has really been the nail in the coffin for me with ABD.

Ugh. So frustrating. During uncertain times like this when they've have had to cancel almost every international trip for over a year, they should not be demanding payment until they can assure their guests that the trip is going to go. Ridiculous and makes the company look bad.
yes this is what Tauck is doing. They won't take your money until it is definitely going. Disney is a mess. I called today and they are still booking people on International July trips. It's a joke

Tauck has cancelled some trips as far out as December 2021. They are also sending emails to guests booked on trips this summer as to whether their trips are a go or not. ABD really needs some lessons in communication and transparency. Otherwise, they are going to left with none of their loyal customers after this pandemic. I am not sure who is at the top, but they need to be sent packing!
I completely agree!
yes this is what Tauck is doing. They won't take your money until it is definitely going. Disney is a mess. I called today and they are still booking people on International July trips. It's a joke
Wow, that is crazy. What are they thinking?

We used our one move and now we’re back in the same situation.

If Disney would just cancel before the PIF date it would be so much easier for everyone!
Can you explain the bolded part, please? We have our first ABD booked for September to Italy and Switzerland. If it cancelled, we were going to try to go to Greece and if THAT cancelled, we were going to move to 2022. Is that not doable?

Can you explain the bolded part, please? We have our first ABD booked for September to Italy and Switzerland. If it cancelled, we were going to try to go to Greece and if THAT cancelled, we were going to move to 2022. Is that not doable?

If they cancel on you, that is different than the "move" they mean. They are talking about doing so BEFORE ABD cancels. Technically not allowed according to the contract, but unofficially they will typically allow it once.

If ABD cancels then you can choose a new trip or get a refund. My issue is that they wanted us to pay in full for trips that weren’t going, but Disney was waiting a long time to cancel, and we didn’t feel confident paying in full, so we were able to move our original trips to different ones.

I am posting in hopes that someone at ABD is reading these boards. Tauck has updated their website as of May 27th with the latest tour and cruise status by destination. It states that they will contact you before your pay in full date to notify you of your trip status. The information is clear and consise with dates of trips and information on each region (and whether they expect to open to tourists). I would post the link but they don't seem to be working on these boards right now. It is easy to find (right no top of their home page).

I know travel and information is till in flux at this time, but please ABD you need to communiate better. Please stop accepting pay in full when you know the trip has no chance of being a go. Your loyal customers are planners and need and deserve more information and clear communication from you at this time.

My heart wants to continue to travel with ABD because we love the guides, but my head is telling me to get out of this toxic relationship.

I am posting in hopes that someone at ABD is reading these boards. Tauck has updated their website as of May 27th with the latest tour and cruise status by destination. It states that they will contact you before your pay in full date to notify you of your trip status. The information is clear and consise with dates of trips and information on each region (and whether they expect to open to tourists). I would post the link but they don't seem to be working on these boards right now. It is easy to find (right no top of their home page).

I know travel and information is till in flux at this time, but please ABD you need to communiate better. Please stop accepting pay in full when you know the trip has no chance of being a go. Your loyal customers are planners and need and deserve more information and clear communication from you at this time.

My heart wants to continue to travel with ABD because we love the guides, but my head is telling me to get out of this toxic relationship.
Great post. I heartily concur.

this is spot on. Had Disney handled this better I’d be a loyal customer for life, but since they haven’t, I too, feel like I need to get out of a toxic relationship.

I was pretty sure I was done with ABD when they had people go to London and Australia last March. But between the fact that they explicitly do not want feedback on things like their booking process, guide tipping process, or deposit and PIF terms that are out of step with the market for such a travel product, on top of their lack of transparency and PIF cancellation chicken on top of the significant Disney markup, I just can't even. I mean, I *might* do BSM someday, but I doubt it now. I just cannot see giving them $$ under the terms of their agreements, when Tauck has been so amazing throughout.

I was pretty sure I was done with ABD when they had people go to London and Australia last March. But between the fact that they explicitly do not want feedback on things like their booking process, guide tipping process, or deposit and PIF terms that are out of step with the market for such a travel product, on top of their lack of transparency and PIF cancellation chicken on top of the significant Disney markup, I just can't even. I mean, I *might* do BSM someday, but I doubt it now. I just cannot see giving them $$ under the terms of their agreements, when Tauck has been so amazing throughout.

It's amazing how badly ABD has damaged their own brand throughout this past year.

Our Rhine River July 21 trip cancelled about 4 days after we booked it due to lack of bookings. Now we wait for refunds on a huge CC balance. Meanwhile, I rebooked directly with AMA on the exact same cruise in reverse on July 29 and saved some money. It’s a shame because we really enjoyed our Italy trip with ABD in 2018 but I will think twice before I use them again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter