• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? about GAC

tkbbmom

Mouseketeer
I think from reading that's what it's called - it's the card for persons/families who might need assistance at WDW? Who exactly is this for and what do you need to do to use it? Here is my situation - I have 4 dc who we are taking to WDW in April. Our 7 yo is LD/ADHD and has SID - someday/some minutes he's fine and then something just snaps and he has what we call meltdowns. He has touble with waiting, trouble with lots of people being around him or too much activity around him - it just vamps him up, difficulty with changing from one thing to another, etc. He's very bright - but like let's say we're driving down the road and he decides he thristy - nothing in the car to drink - he will go on and on and work himself into a fit saying he's thirsty and is going to die until we get home to get a drink - or waiting in line at Wal-Mart all of a sudden decides he's waited all he's going to wait and just melts down. Okay - in writing this I realize why are we even going to do WDW - but it's what our oldest wants for his SR trip and the kids have enjoyed it when younger. I'm just wondering if this GAC would something to look into with this situation - esp thinking as the week goes on and he gets tired. - Is it something where our family of 6 could wait in an area away from a large group etc?

On another note - our 2 yo has respiratory probs - we would carry his nebulizer with us of course and all meds bec he has allergies to foods that the Dr's can't even figure out. But are there areas within the park where we could do a breathing treatment if necessary (electricity is needed)? Or do we need to plan to get back to our rooms - we could work around as we typicaly do them every 6 hours - but my thinking was what about in an emergency?

There are child care centers with privacy areas in each park, they're marked on the map you get at each park.

The GAC would allow you to wait in a certain area to board, but it's not meant to get you on any faster, or lessen the wait time. I'd try to get to the parks early to avoid crowds, and use Fastpass as much as possible, as well as getting a GAC.

My son also has LD, ADD, and SID. I never considered using the GAC for SID. He doesn't like crowds, changes etc either. We have been to disney alot and never used one until this trip. It took 6 days of touring the parks for me to decide to try to get a GAC. My son has mobility issues so they issued him one. After 6 days in the parks he had about had it. We had another 4 to go so I had to do something. We just couldn't keep criss crossing the park getting fast passes like we normally would do. You can only go into guest relations and explain your situation to see if they will give you one. It is called the Guest Assistance Card; you can probably get a little info on it at their website.
And, I think I read in another post a day or two ago that the first aid stations are set up to store medications and equipment for you to go back and use later so you don't have to carry it around all day. That might be something you want to check into, the only problem is you have to get to that one location when you need a breathing treatment.

Welcome to disABILTIES! One thing that you may find useful is to read the "disABILTIES! FAQ" If you click on "disABILITIES!" at the top of the page it will take you to the index, and the FAQ is currently the second item. It will answer a lot of your questions.

You can get a GAC and have it as an "insurance policy" to be used if it is needed. That is what most people do.

Also, as LMC said there are First Aid stations in each park (staffed by RNs) where you can store medicines and equipment and have space where you can administer medicines in privacy.

When you wrote about your child, I felt like you were describing mine.
We just got back from Disney last week (second visit) and we had a GAC both times. It really made the trip easier for us. Just be prepared to tell about your childs issues (not diagnoses) and you should have no problem getting one. I was nervous about getting one/talking about DDs issues in front of her. So I typed up a quick point form note stating her difficulties.
We were issues one right away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter