About to buy into DVC

1. Yes, but as discussed above, making the economics of the parks work vs. the price difference is nearly impossible for Poly.

2. You cannot switch home resorts save by selling a contract and buying elsewhere. This is a real estate transaction.

1. Direct purchasers have access to the lounge in Epcot, access to moonlight magic events, the ability to trade points for cruises and Disney concierge travel, dining and merchandise discounts, and discounts on annual passes. The point trades for cruises and concierge travel are poor value; you'd be better renting your points out and using the money to book those directly. These benefits are not guaranteed, and may disappear over time. At one time, annual passes and valet parking were free to DVC members; no longer. Dining and merchandise discounts are similar to those offered to annual pass and Disney Chase Visa holders. Don't consider these true permanent, nor exclusive, benefits.

2. No fee to book a non-home resort at 7 months, if there is availability. Be aware, however, that during peak season (September-January), you may have difficulty obtaining particular categories of rooms at many resorts.

Consider, carefully, your home resort choice if you are thinking of staying in a studio. With a family of five, you're pretty much limited to specific resorts.

Thanks for all the advice! I have two questions...
1- are there differences perk wise between buying direct / resale?
2- is there a fee to switch home resorts? I didn't know that this was even an option

1. You don't get perks as a resale buyer - but unless you make the bet that the annual pass discount will always be there, and use it more often than not, the DVC perks are not worth the extra money. (And I have doubts on both of those factors for anyone, but especially someone whose kids are young). We get the perks having bought long ago.....and I think we've used the AP discount on two tickets. The Moonlight Magic events won't last forever (and in our experience were not very good), and the discounts are ok, but definitely not worth the price difference. Even a Disney fan can only have so many Disney souvenirs.

2. Once you buy a home resort you are stuck with it unless you sell it (paying commission) and repurchase. That is why everyone is telling you to be very cautious about your choice.

but unless you make the bet that the annual pass discount will always be there, and use it more often than not, the DVC perks are not worth the extra money

With OP, talking 250 points at Poly, the cost difference on direct and resale is $20k, and hybrid model still saves a ridiculous amount. The AP discount, for a family of 5 - since you can only buy for those living with you - would take 20 years to work out, assuming saving $200 per pass, and assuming they buy a pass for each child every year for those 20 years. So it's really quite nuts.

The dining and merch discounts don't represent nearly so much as to bridge the gap substantially in a shorter time. Heck, even going to 4 MM events a year (unlikely) and valuing each ticket at $75 per person, the math is prohibitive at $235pp vs. $155pp. The $85 gap is large.

2- is there a fee to switch home resorts? I didn't know that this was even an option
1 - Oh, yes. Buying resale doesn't get you any perks. No discounts, no Epcot lounge access. No Magic events in the parks. You basically get your resort at 11 months out and non-home resorts (not including the new ones not yet open) at seven months out.
2 - There is no fee to book a non-home resort at seven months out at this time. It could change in the future. But if you mean to switch your points to a different resort, you would have to sell your contract and buy a contract at the other resort you like. And that would be important if you hate your original home resort and want a different one to book at 11 months out.

I will add my voice to excellent suggestions so far. Direct is quite expensive, and while you get a handful of perks vice resale, your ability to take advantage of many of them is often timing. Those perks can be (and likely will be) taken away or changed at any time. The discounts you get, while nice, will in no way pay for the severe discrepancy in costs between direct and resale. The DVC guides may not flat out lie to you, but they're under no particular obligation to paint a realistic picture, either. To wit:
- Resale is far cheaper in both the long run and mid-term. Short run, Disney will set you up with points with little hassle, but the guide won't mention the huge cost differential will never be made up via discounts and perks.
- If you buy direct, you can book at 7 months out at any resort, including new ones to come. However, what the guides won't highlight is that with resale you will still have the other 13 "legacy" resorts (other than your home resort) at your disposal. No, you can't book into the new ones, but is that worth an extra $14-$20K? If you love DVC that much down the road, you can always buy an entry contract into a new resort.
- The points charts for 2020 changed dramatically. The guides may very well not mention the 2020 charts at all--after all, this is still 2019. Yes, the number of overall available points at a resort can't change, but they can sure be altered so that the point totals you thought would be enough during your typical travel times no longer buy you the same number of days. For example, at Copper Creek and VWL (or BRV if you must ;)), almost every season went up, especially for studios and 1BRs. For a 1BR during Christmas week, the 1BR cost went up over 40 points. What went down? The most expensive options during two seasons--2BRs which most people don't buy enough points for more than a 3-5 day stay.
- Only a few resorts have room for 5 in studios, and some don't have room for 5 in 1BRs (such as the very new Copper Creek).
- The guides likely will tell you that you'll have to go on a wait list for direct points at any resort outside of Aulani and Copper Creek. They'll find you a contract, certainly, but in many cases it will take longer than just buying resale.
- They will likely tout the ability to trade out to RCI, DCL, et.al. While RCI is still an option for resale, DCL and Concierge are not. However, as others on here have said, that's a poor use of points. 250 points wouldn't buy one person's passage on most Disney cruises, plus they charge you $95 for the privilege.

There is a lot of research and thinking to do about purchasing DVC, and it is a serious financial commitment, not only in terms of the purchase price but also in terms of yearly dues which will continue to rise each year. There is also the time commitment. As your family grows, will the same desire to return time after time still be there, and will you be prepared to be satisfied with only your home resort if what you want at 7 months is unavailable? I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your decision because DVC can be a very enjoyable aspect of the Disney experience. However, I urge you to look at it from the lens of 10 years from now. Good luck!

Last edited:
Aren't nearly all the studios connecting rooms at poly? And I've not really seen reports of people not getting them if requested properly.

Kind of removes the "they don't have 1 or 2 bedrooms" dilemma if you don't care about kitchens.

Personally, if they'd just guarantee connecting rooms, it would eliminate that concern all together as long as you have at least 2 18+ for reservation purposes.

How big is the age gap for your kids? By the time my oldest reached 18, it really didn't matter if the kids rooms connected to ours or not. Alternatively, I know a few families that just divide boys room / girls room with older / teen kids. So, if the connecting request isn't granted, oh well.

Any advice is welcome!!
We love poly but again like others have mentioned only having studios and the expensive bungalow is a negative.

1. Yes - new resale purchasers no longer have access to member events, discounts and now as of 1/19/19 they will not be able to use their points at any new DVC resorts such as Rivera and Reflections.
2. No fee to switch resorts.

The work around for resale in order to get perks is to buy the minimum direct points (currently 75pts) and then buy the rest of the points you need via resale. This saves a ton. You then get the coveted blue member card which entitles you to the AP discounts, shopping discounts, moonlight magic. You have to compare the numbers to see what makes the most sense. Buying resale can have some drawbacks when you want a certain UY, want a certain number of points. It is frustrating when you can't find what you want or you find the right number of points and UY but the contract is stripped (no points for 2 years). This is sometimes what drives people to buy direct. If DVC has points you can call and get your points probably within a matter of days vs waiting 3 months with resale.

My biggest concern for your family is that the kids will grow, and maybe your family size too. Your family has very small people right now that don't take up a lot of space. You're really limiting yourselves with a Poly studio. Another consideration is that you can get the kitchen and washer and dryer if you are able to swing enough points for a larger place. They come in very handy while on vacation with little kids.

My advice is to think about your family in 10 -15 years and what your needs will be then. This is a long term investment.

The Poly is our home resort. We love it. Usually it's just me going and sometimes my husband joins me for a few days. The studio room size with the mostly 2 bathrooms is perfect for us. (One bathroom doesn't have a toilet so it's not a full bathroom).

But when we bought into it, our kids were high teens and not interested in going with us to Disney anymore.

We didn't buy as many points as you are thinking about. We bought enough for 7 days in a studio. With the reallocation of points, we no longer have enough for 7 days in a studio at the Poly. Someday we may buy more via resale. Or not. We aren't sure yet.

If our kids were going to go to Disney with us, we never would have bought into the Poly DVC because of the lack of 1 bedrooms. If they were young we would have chosen a different resort.

In your case OP, if you decide to go with DVC - choose a resort that allows for more people in a one or two bedroom since you will be a family of 5.
I'd also buy 75 points direct and then any others resale to save money. And plan your use year carefully.

Thanks again everyone! My husband and I sat down today, went through all of your suggestions and concerns and after more specific research we decided that DVC just isn't for us. I'm happy I came on here before spending a ton of money. We actually ended up booking a vacation for this fall at the Poly and already have ideas for next year. Thanks again!

Thanks again everyone! My husband and I sat down today, went through all of your suggestions and concerns and after more specific research we decided that DVC just isn't for us. I'm happy I came on here before spending a ton of money. We actually ended up booking a vacation for this fall at the Poly and already have ideas for next year. Thanks again!
Congratulations! There are far too many stories and examples out there of people who didn't sit down and talk with their SO, who didn't seek advice, and who didn't conscientiously research DVC before purchasing. Yours is a success story and not because you opted not to buy; no, it's because you evaluated first. Had you done the research and opted to purchase, that would have been fine, as well. The primary issue is having knowledge before you buy or don't. I've been in DVC for 15 years now, and I will say that it has worked out well for us in the long run. However, if I was just now approaching buying into DVC, I would not. Too expensive, a turn toward bland theming, meeting industry standards instead of setting them, and a declining sense of service are just a few reasons.

There are some “perks” to direct over resale. I am not knowledgeable so don’t want to mis-lead

As far as I know you can not switch home resorts. You “own” at your home resort and would have to sell and then purchase at a new resort to switch.

Use Year is also important. If you are a summer traveler then earlier in the year is better because your points are reloaded in that month ( we are April use year)

Please keep asking questions to make sure you are comfortable with your purchase and that it will fit your vacation needs.

We have been DVC Members since 93 and have added on 15 times through direct sales but that was years ago when we never paid over $85.00 a point. We have never looked back and we never have points to spare. Last year we decided to do our last purchase and wanted 100 points and contact out guide at DVC to see if there were any points available through them for one of our home resorts . There were none but he put us on a list (for Saratoga Springs) at $150.00 a point. We checked resale and saw a SS contract for our use year for $103 a point and offered 98. It was accepted and we closed. The purchase was pretty seamless.

Like mentioned above try to purchase the points in smaller contracts so if things change you can sell one of the contracts instead of dumping the whole thing.

Maybe think of a small direct then some resale. You can ask DVC guides if they have direct points available at other resorts. May be cheaper way to go direct.
Unless you really want Poly think about other resorts, their annual dues and when does their contract expire. BW & some OKW expire in 2042 some OKW in 2057.
Each property has an experation so keep that in mind.

Dues are a part of it and depending on your state you may be able to deduct some of the fees on your taxes.

Some buyers have regrets and are disappointed with their purchase, other (like us) can’t seem to get enough of it. We purchased when our oldest was 11 and vacations to WDW and Disneycruises got us through that uncomfortable teenage period when they don’t want to be around their gross parents :crazy2:. They were always excited about our family vacations. Now they are grown with small kids of their own and we still continue to have these family vacations. For us that alone was priceless and still is. Nothing like seeing the excitement of a WDW or Disney Cruise vacation on our granddaughters faces.

So as you can see by the comments ownership is different for each owner.
So make sure it fits your current needs and future needs and if you feel it is the right move go for it and don’t look back, just enjoy the future.

Just my .02

An educated buyer is a happy owner (or in this case non owner). But curve balls (lockoff premium points inflation, now thankfully reversed) can even be thrown at educated buyers with DVC. Thus I feel it’s more of a gamble now than when I bought in.

I could not even begin to fathom paying over $200/point! We bought ours below $90 and thought that was a huge investment. I can not even comprehend paying today's prices.
ITA. We bought at 80 dollars a point in 2008 (resale). I could never have fathomed the direct price going to over 200 dollars a point in 10 years!

I would never ever buy into this at today’s prices. No way, no how. OP, you are making a good call. With three LOs (Congrats!) you have better ways to use that money!

I could not even begin to fathom paying over $200/point! We bought ours below $90 and thought that was a huge investment. I can not even comprehend paying today's prices.
I think we bought in at $53 a point and couldn't have fathomed paying $90 a point. As DVC has proven its value, the threshold has increased, and so the price increased, which in turn restricted the buy-in to people willing to pay more - people with more money to spend and people who are simply more devoted fans than our family.

I bought direct in around 1999 when you could get all resorts in mid $60's per point. I have added resale a few times to initial outlay. Never paid more than $79 per point. I feel I got a great deal and have no regrets. I could not afford to buy in today and I consider myself upper middle class. I paid cash and didn't finance so I suppose if I was willing to finance it would be easier but then so much more expensive that I'm not sure math would justify buying over renting. The park experience is much worst that back in those days and far more costly . The resort experience is better. You now have many more eateries all over the world, downtown Disney etc . Not sure if I went for the first time now I would be interested in purchasing as I find the parks too crowded, the rides often broken down . It is harder to get fast passes . I still love the overall experience but it would not tempt me at over $200 per point. I do feel though that Disney is only timeshare I would own as the properties are maintained well and I can sell quickly if I have to or rent points I don't use. I'm just stunned by the huge buy in required now and know that I would never be able to do it.

Our first points were $50 a point. Our last points were about $72 per point direct from Disney. I'd never pay over $99 a point. Even that is too high.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter