Actual Dog Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dog was NOT a service dog, the resort managers were trying to locate these guests. The hotel knows exactly which rooms/areas the service dogs are located. DVC reached out to me because I emailed the SVP of DVC all of this right after it happened. Members of DVC pay significant maintenance fees each year and dogs destroying common areas is highly concerning to me.
As a DVC member it concerns me too which is why I asked for a photo of the damage.

Now, I'm not saying this is a service dog nor am I in any way defending the lady letting her dog bark at people or pee on furniture...but can we please just stop making up the rules for service dogs based on what we think they should be? They are NOT required to sit on the floor. They are NOT required to have a vest or tags. All this misinformation is going to do is cause people to complain to the cast members for things they just read online. Read the rules for yourself on the ADA website...don't just take someone else's words as facts.

I hope anyone who sees anyone damaging WDW property will report it. Anyone who is a DVC member, AP holder or who often frequents WDW & spends $$ should be concerned as it increases costs.

This was our experience this week at a non dog resort.

My wife and I checked into the Polynesian Villas this week in the Tokelau building. As soon as we entered there was a guest sitting on the couches with their dog. The dog was barking at guests and then started "marking" the funiture up. The owner of the dog barely looked up as the dog was tearing up the building lobby. Clearly it was not a service dog. (pics below) Had a good talk with the front desk and shared the pics and video of the dog tearing up the lobby area. DVC executive leadership responded quickly and called after it was reported, I did let them know our overall frustration and dissapointment.

This looks like the foyer to the actual Tokelau building and not the resort lobby. Is that where this happened?

Now, I'm not saying this is a service dog nor am I in any way defending the lady letting her dog bark at people or pee on furniture...but can we please just stop making up the rules for service dogs based on what we think they should be? They are NOT required to sit on the floor. They are NOT required to have a vest or tags. All this misinformation is going to do is cause people to complain to the cast members for things they just read online. Read the rules for yourself on the ADA website...don't just take someone else's words as facts.
AND since no one can ask for proof, if she knows what she needs to say to fake it if he isn’t a service, they will probably not ask her to leave. They probably just reminded her of the policy & she went about her day. I just doubt someone would be this brazen without being prepared to lie their way out of it.

As a DVC member it concerns me too which is why I asked for a photo of the damage.

No one owes anyone on here a picture of the damage. If such a photo was sent to Disney so be it. As everyone is so keen to remind one another, this thread is about experiences. Should we start another for "Resort Damage Pictures"?

AND since no one can ask for proof, if she knows what she needs to say to fake it if he isn’t a service, they will probably not ask her to leave. They probably just reminded her of the policy & she went about her day. I just doubt someone would be this brazen without being prepared to lie their way out of it.

Yes, but the poster has already explained that the front desk staff went looking for the guest after the report. Service dogs are required to be registered and their owners sign waivers regarding potential damage caused to the resort rooms etc. It seems unlikely that they would go on a search for the guests if they were aware of a service dog staying in Tokelau.

Ive posted all of the pictures that I will be posting. There are kids and other guests in the video and other pictures
Thank you for your report. I do have a couple of questions. (1) Exactly what do you mean by ""marking" the funiture up"? Was it peeing on the furniture? (2) Can you post the video? I would like to see the video if you can find a way to post it. Your photos don't show a dog tearing anything up. (3) If not, do you have a photo of the damage the dog made? (4) Are you double-dog (sorry, I couldn't help myself) sure that it wasn't a service dog?
I will not be posting the video. There are other guests and children in the video that have nothing to do with this issue. I will be attending the annual DVC member meeting on Dec 7th with all of this information. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3592.jpeg
    IMG_3592.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 118
I consider a service dog to be among these breeds: "GERMAN SHEPHERDS, GOLDEN RETRIEVERS, LABS" etc.

Generally for people with disabilities such as "blindness, injuries etc"

Call me not politically correct but how is a lap dog sitting on the furniture while the owner is on her phone with no visible signs of disability considered a service dog?

I consider a service dog to be among these breeds: "GERMAN SHEPHERDS, GOLDEN RETRIEVERS, LABS" etc.

Generally for people with disabilities such as "blindness, injuries etc"

Call me not politically correct but how is a lap dog sitting on the furniture while the owner is on her phone with no visible signs of disability considered a service dog?
Uh oh. You're going to get flamed for that one... popcorn::

Ive posted all of the pictures that I will be posting. There are kids and other guests in the video and other pictures

I will not be posting the video. There are other guests and children in the video that have nothing to do with this issue. I will be attending the annual DVC member meeting on Dec 7th with all of this information. Thanks.
I'm just wondering if you were planning on sharing the video at the DVC member meeting or just sharing the information you shared with us.

That's the rub. I'm sure the big majority of service animals and their owners are super respectful. It's just these select few idiots who game the system that leave a sour taste to a lot of people (I'm sure there are those that don't care either way) while taking away from the validity and purpose of real service dogs. So that's annoying if you can't legally question anything to get more information from these entitled dog owners.

Last edited:
And that's the rub. I'm sure the big majority of service animals and their owners are super respectful. It's just these select few idiots who game the system that leaves a sour taste to a lot of people (I'm sure there are those that don't care either way) while taking away from the validity and purpose of real service dogs. And that's annoying if you can't legally question anything to get more information from these entitled dog owners.

Way back when I worked at Disney I would see people with wheel chairs all the time that didnt need them. You used to be able to "Cut" the line if you were in a wheelchair. Makes sense if everyone follows the rules. But as it turns out their were a ton of wheelchairs being used to simply bypass the line. People would be miraculously cured long enough to get in and out of the ride. Obviously since then this practice is no longer followed.

As someone stated before Disney has opened PANDORA'S BOX. And their really is no way to close it. Noone at Disney is going to do anything about dogs being in the wrong area if the person claims its "A SERVICE DOG". Once you say that, its a go anywhere you want at Disney with your pet and noone can say anything.

And that's the rub. I'm sure the big majority of service animals and their owners are super respectful. It's just these select few idiots who game the system that leaves a sour taste to a lot of people (I'm sure there are those that don't care either way) while taking away from the validity and purpose of real service dogs. And that's annoying if you can't legally question anything to get more information from these entitled dog owners.
And see I get that frustration but I'm guessing the law was written so as to protect the privacy and ensure discrimination doesn't happen for those the law was written for. Call it the lesser of the two evils if you will.

Way back when I worked at Disney I would see people with wheel chairs all the time that didnt need them. You used to be able to "Cut" the line if you were in a wheelchair. Makes sense if everyone follows the rules. But as it turns out their were a ton of wheelchairs being used to simply bypass the line. People would be miraculously cured long enough to get in and out of the ride. Obviously since then this practice is no longer followed.

As someone stated before Disney has opened PANDORA'S BOX. And their really is no way to close it. Noone at Disney is going to do anything about dogs being in the wrong area if the person claims its "A SERVICE DOG". Once you say that, its a go anywhere you want at Disney with your pet and noone can say anything.

Nothing was stopping people from bringing fake service dogs BEFORE the new pet policy. Why would anybody who is willing to lie about having a service dog suddenly decide its worth it to spend $50 a night to bring their dog? If they were going to do it before they are going to continue to do it now for free.

Nothing was stopping people from bringing fake service dogs BEFORE the new pet policy. Why would anybody who is willing to lie about having a service dog suddenly decide its worth it to spend $50 a night to bring their dog? If they were going to do it before they are going to continue to do it now for free.

If someone paid money to bring their dog to Disney at say YC. And then decided to walk over to BC and / or Boardwalk for a stroll. And lets say they were stopped by a cast member and told you can't go over to BC its not pet friendly. The person can simply say "its a service dog" and voila problem solved. So I do see people taking advantage of the system now.

This is what we experienced in July at Wilderness Lodge. Several dogs in the lobby all week- and it was before the policy.

It is also possible the dog seen at the Poly was staying in another resort but the owner was eating there and the dog (being a service dog) accompanying them. I am not saying it was or was not an actual service dog- just that it was staying with someone who registered them somewhere as one, and could answer the questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter