Adding on nights during stay?

4eversleepy

Earning My Ears
Purely hypothetical...Anyone have success adding on nights or booking another resort during your stay or even the last day of your stay? I'm thinking primarily if a flight gets cancelled and you need to rebook one or two days out. Is this something you would need to check the availability on the website for and book like normal? Or could you talk to the front desk or MS and see if they can extend you or have another room available somewhere? Any anecdotal experience?

I've done it twice....once during Hurricane Ian when it was uncertain whether the airport would reopen in time for me to catch my flight home....went to the front desk and they arranged for me to keep my room if I needed it, but not "charge me" (used points) if I didn't (the airport did reopen and I didn't need the room and they didn't charge me the points for it).

The other time a friend was staying on my points at SSR and in the morning of that one-night stay, she discovered damage to her car that would take an additional day to repair; I called MS and they were able to add a night to the one-night stay, and since it was before she had checked in, they even did it so she could stay in the same room.

Have never tried to do it online....

The most recent time we did this was last August. We were in a 2-bedroom unit at BRV. Hurricane Idalia was predicted to hit the area early on the morning of our (7:00 a.m.) flight home. We didn’t want to risk getting stuck at the airport, so I booked a studio for one extra night (luckily, one was available at BRV or we would have booked a regular resort hotel room). The storm pretty much just glanced over Orlando, but better safe than sorry.

In August, 2021 as we were preparing to head out to the airport we received notification our flight was cancelled. After rebooking our flights for the next day (which took a bit of time) I called MS. Our stay had been in a studio at BWV, and to my surprise I was given 2 options for a studio, SSR (Standard) or BLT (LV). We did BLT as it is our home resort. I didn't check online or try the front desk. I figured calling MS was the best way to check availability for DVC. No doubt on any given day it varies, but I was happy to have 2 resorts to choose from. And the craziest part was I called about 10 am to book the room and received a text it was ready by 11 am!

Purely hypothetical...Anyone have success adding on nights or booking another resort during your stay or even the last day of your stay? I'm thinking primarily if a flight gets cancelled and you need to rebook one or two days out. Is this something you would need to check the availability on the website for and book like normal? Or could you talk to the front desk or MS and see if they can extend you or have another room available somewhere? Any anecdotal experience?
We hunkered down for 2nd time last September @ AKVJ

Flight out on Saturday. Wasn’t sure the airport would be cleared. Stopped at desk and was told there were so many cancellations from folks not able to come in for the trip via air, there would be no issue for a night or two on points or cash, if needed.

As for non mass weather event for airlines, I’d still go to the front desk and ask for their assistance in booking for a smoother experience

A tropical storm the front desk added a night which was that night. We had to change resorts. They used our points which we had enough of for the extension.

IIRC, they could have kept us at Riviera, but it was extremely expensive for the one night, so we bounced to Saratoga to save the money. We had to do a cash stay, I believe no rooms available using points.

Made us REALLY appreciate DVC! LOL. One night at SS 2B in the cheapest season (September) and it was still close to $900 I think.

I've been booked at the front desk for additional nights several times, to include BW Villas, Polynesian, Bay Lake Tower, and Hilton Head. I've owned since 2000 so lots of years for these. Hilton Head was a two bedroom and that's the most available room there. It was booked after my first 2 nights as my 17 year old son was irritating me to no end because after coming, he didn't want to be there. We actually had a room. It just wasn't big enough to ignore him in.

I've been booked at the front desk for additional nights several times, to include BW Villas, Polynesian, Bay Lake Tower, and Hilton Head. I've owned since 2000 so lots of years for these. Hilton Head was a two bedroom and that's the most available room there. It was booked after my first 2 nights as my 17 year old son was irritating me to no end because after coming, he didn't want to be there. We actually had a room. It just wasn't big enough to ignore him in.
Interestingly, I was standing near the front desk at HHI when I heard a couple ask the front desk if they'd be able to extend their stay by one day. They were staying in a two bedroom, but the front desk said that all that was available for the extra night was a one bedroom! Turned out fine for them because they said that half the people in their two bedroom were leaving. Later, the front desk told me that surprisingly, the availability at HHI sometimes goes like that, where one bedrooms are available. They said that the resort often attracts extended family groups, needing the two bedrooms. Kinda surprised me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter