Admin Please Close Thread.

I guess since I travel for business, I was just used to using our corporate travel and the miles, so never crossed my mind

i had a co-worker whose dh made some decent extra money/free travel despite all his travel being done through corporate-so much as he could he always buffered his travel with extra time (if he had to be somewhere monday he would book for departure on sunday...) and try to pick the most in demand time of day to travel. this way he was always able to volunteer when airlines were offering cash or vouchers in exchange for being bumped to a later flight b/c the cash went to him and vouchers were issued in HIS name, not corporate.

i had a co-worker whose dh made some decent extra money/free travel despite all his travel being done through corporate-so much as he could he always buffered his travel with extra time (if he had to be somewhere monday he would book for departure on sunday...) and try to pick the most in demand time of day to travel. this way he was always able to volunteer when airlines were offering cash or vouchers in exchange for being bumped to a later flight b/c the cash went to him and vouchers were issued in HIS name, not corporate.
Good advice and something I take advantage of partially - I dont always look for the most in demand time, but I do build in the buffer for that eventuality. I also sometimes book my return leg from business travel, instead of going home, and go to my personal travel location and then just pay for the one-way back home. Doesn't always work out, but more often then not.

Thank you - just saw your post as well.
So dumb question, does the opening and closing of cards wreak havoc on your credit score - or is it a nominal impact?
No My score was 780 when I started and now it’s 832. Inquiry’s will drop your score 5 points or so for a few months. Sometimes you can change the card to a card with no annual fee and keep the credit line open. I have cards I will never close I use them daily and some I get the bonus and close them. But having a large credit line. I believe I have something like 150k right now. If you have no or low utilization and pay off on time every month it will only help your credit.

It’s a great way for middle class people to save money on vacations. If you are not disciplined with credit then it’s not a good idea. I have family members that putting a credit card in front of them would be like putting a bottle of vodka in front of an alcoholic. They avoid them and use debit cards and that is the safest choice for them.

It's probably just me, but this reminds me of the spiraling of the Sebastian's dinner roll thread. I guess it's the butter that got me. Honey butter anyone? Good times. :D

OP, in all seriousness, two comments/questions:

1. Why have you deleted previous posts from your earlier threads and responses? I'm just curious as the topics didn't seem too outrageous or problematic and discussed room needs, budget, etc.. On a public forum, it is almost impossible to just erase what was written as you can tell from this whole thread.

2. As I'm sure you already knew and were probably looking more to vent than real answers, at the risk of being Captain Obvious, people:
a. Save
b. Use credit (responsibly or not)
c. Just naturally have the income (likely over $100K for most) or are just debt free
d. Inherit
e. Not sure if this was mentioned, but military gets a decent sized discount on rooms and tickets

Good luck with the plans you decide to make and hope it is a great trip whether Disney or not!

No My score was 780 when I started and now it’s 832. Inquiry’s will drop your score 5 points or so for a few months. Sometimes you can change the card to a card with no annual fee and keep the credit line open. I have cards I will never close I use them daily and some I get the bonus and close them. But having a large credit line. I believe I have something like 150k right now. If you have no or low utilization and pay off on time every month it will only help your credit.

It’s a great way for middle class people to save money on vacations. If you are not disciplined with credit then it’s not a good idea. I have family members that putting a credit card in front of them would be like putting a bottle of vodka in front of an alcoholic. They avoid them and use debit cards and that is the safest choice for them.
Exactly what I was looking for... I had some past problems with CCs and have since worked my credit score back into the ~820s - so I am now very protective of it and why I asked.

NOPE. One of the rules is to "Stay on Topic." Many who commented with starting "I make over 100k a year" didn't stay on topic. Comments like the Michael Scott comment are not on topic. I WILL report all those that break the rules, because some are just plain bullies!
I’m sure you will report this despite me answering your original question but isn’t commenting on who you are reporting is also “off topic”?

Came to this thread because it was an interesting (proposed) topic and I do have an interest in personal finance, plus am a big points/miles/CC gal so always interested to hear about that ....
.... but I've also been fully popcorn:: with this thread all afternoon.
(I guess that's technically off topic as I don't technically meet all of the originally stated criteria, oops :offtopic::rotfl2:)

Probably not as many as you think, though, unless it is a cheaper vacation or vacation every few years. I doubt many that make $100k or less could pay cash for something like a Disney vacation every year.
Sure they can. I know plenty of families in my network that do. And this network that I am referring to are not using credit cards (but for rewards) or otherwise going into debt to do so. What they are doing is budgeting. Not eating out. Not signing their kids up for expensive sports. Not getting $100+ haircuts or manicures. They drive a used car. Several have paid off their mortgages also. They were able to do that by living within their means. They Disney trips maybe staying offsite or packing a lunches to keep costs down. They avoid hoppers. No Genie+ and they all have a great time.

But since I am so sure that you will report me as I am not staying on topic, in response to your response to me making a comment that was, per your definition, entirely not on topic, might I suggest that you start hollering to CLOSE THIS THREAD?!

I’m sorry that you didn’t get the validation that you were seeking in terms of you not being able to afford to go on vacation it would seem since you don’t make $100,000.

Oh! Wow! I just thought of something else. I work with a guy whose wife stays at home. They have a mortgage. They drive a used car. He makes $45k a year. Annually they drive to Florida to visit family. This year he is renting DVC points in a 1br so they can eat in the room and he got 4 day park tickets so he can take his wife and kid to Disney. He picked up one short term painting job to pay for it. When there is a will, there is a way! Oh, wait! But per you he shouldn’t go because he doesn’t make $100k.

Came to this thread because it was an interesting (proposed) topic and I do have an interest in personal finance, plus am a big points/miles/CC gal so always interested to hear about that ....
.... but I've also been fully popcorn:: with this thread all afternoon.
(I guess that's technically off topic as I don't technically meet all of the originally stated criteria, oops :offtopic::rotfl2:)
Actually it had potential to be a GREAT thread on everyone's "how do you do vacation?"

Unfortunately the parameters were so narrow that myself and many others were asked not to respond :confused3cause I guess we never fell into those parameters and know nothing of the subject that was worth contributing.

While I do not fit the parameters I do travel very economically, very much focused on saving money and try to keep up with travel deals and ideas. But like you my contributions do not meet criteria.

Perhaps we need a new thread! :grouphug: Although now that the title has changed I suppose anything goes.

And that is why it is okay to let threads become diverse when we are outside the Park Operations threads. Lots of us learn new things, lots of new things. I saw churning and googled. I DID NOT KNOW that Amazon sells small butter churns and now I am so interested in getting one! :goodvibes

I've got to google that!

Actually it had potential to be a GREAT thread on everyone's "how do you do vacation?"

i thought so too! i was just looking for clarification on the income definition since it had been put forth as a criteria. i'm always fascinated to hear how people (across the boards) do vacations-there are some incredibly wise and creative members of the dis community that i enjoy learning from.

I'm going to be weirdo here, but I will absolutely go into some debt to spend what time I have on this planet spending fun time with family. I've seen too many "in memorium" posts on my employer's internal employee intranet site... Either people who retired less than 5 years ago or the poor people that literally died in harness. Heck with that.

Exactly. To date, I've had about 9 credit cards used fraudulently and have had ZERO liability or impact to my cash on hand. The card companies just close the card and reissue a new number. When you have bill pays set up, you get something like a 60 day grace period where the charges will still go through on the old account number. I just make sure to update them as needed when this happens. I pay all but 2 bills on credit cards. Never had a late fee on anything. The 2 bills I cannot pay via credit card are my electric bill and my gas bill. Neither will accept a credit card for autopay and charge a $5 fee for credit card payments anyway.
Aww that's too bad (that the utilities don't work well). I just paid ahead on my electric bill to help meet the spend on a new card. My electric company charges $1.75 and will allow me to pay $600 at a time. Gas company takes cards, doesn't charge a fee but won't accept advance payment.

I'm going to be weirdo here, but I will absolutely go into some debt to spend what time I have on this planet spending fun time with family. I've seen too many "in memorium" posts on my employer's internal employee intranet site... Either people who retired less than 5 years ago or the poor people that literally died in harness. Heck with that.

Kudos to you for being a brave and honest soul! I personally feel if you are okay with paying more (due to interest) to enjoy life now that is more than ok with me! Everyone gets to choose what is right for their family.

I'm not allowed to answer this post according to the original post since, although we make a smidge under $100k, we have no mortgage due to an inheritance I received after my dad passed away. Shucky darn. Also looks like the OP has abandoned this post. Wait, did I just answer it anyway? hmmmm...I'm so confused. And wildly entertained ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter