ADR Vent: My picky eaters are driving me nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband's diet pretty much consists of Pepperoni Pizza at least two to three times a week, burgers (only prepared on a grill, and not on a George Foreman), hot dogs, and steak, (occasionally). Recently he has come to like Italian food more, outside of pizza, so he likes any kind of pasta doused in Alfredo sauce, (he won't eat marinara). He likes any kind of bread. He is a very, very, very basic eater. He won't eat chicken that is on a bone or has skin on it, (he won't eat fried chicken). He won't eat pork chops or pork tenderloin. He won't eat salmon or crab. He will eat Halibut, but only if its fried and has had the bones completely removed. And he'll eat shrimp that is either completely soaked in butter and garlic or fried, not plain. He'll eat tacos with ground beef or boneless skinless chicken, and refried beans. He does like rice too I suppose. He likes spicy foods as well, he has recently acquired a taste for extremely hot sauce, but not on anything "weird" or colored green. (He wouldn't eat my enchiladas verde because of the green sauce.)

There are many times that I'll just throw a cheap frozen pizza in for him and serve my daughter and I something more healthful and delicious.

:scared1: Holy moley! I think that with a diet like that, you're not going to have to worry about his pickiness too much longer!

I agree with you, tessa67. It is silly to limit yourself from whole categories of food because you THINK you won't like them. Every world cuisne has basic things in common: carbs, veggies, meat, fruit, dairy, etc. If you look past the dressing/spices/preparation, most foods are very similar. I understand not liking a particular spice or flavor, but only eating pepperoni pizza is absurd. My BIL eats meat, pizza, fries and steak. That's it. It is annoying, because it is very difficult to go out to eat with him. And, of course, he is incredibly overweight with health problems. I am with the other posters who have no tolerance for this sort of thing.

I think I USED to be married to your husband.

Honestly, I also have no tolerance for adults with ridiculous food demands. I can understand not caring for a general taste, like Indian food, but to refuse to eat anything with onions or vegetables or fruit is silly.

On a side, but related note...DD3 was at her gymnastics class today. They start out with a little stretching and the instructor always has them pretend to make pizza or cookies (rolling out the dough as they lean forward and stretch their hamstrings, etc) So today she said, "We are going to make pizza, lets lean forward and roll out our dough." and DD3 said, "I don't want mushrooms on mine!" But she is 3, so I tolerate the "no mushroom" demand because she will eat her weight in black olives and hummus.

Have you never met anyone with a sensory disorder?? My son has Asperger Syndrome and probably his most pronounced manifestation of it is low tolerance for a lot of food textures. We work on it all the time, but his diet is still pretty limited. It isn't like he eats no real food and loves sweets - he eats very few treats, too.

Wow, you're kind of...hostile about this.

Boy, you're all hostile. :sad2:

;) I don't think anyone means to be. Eating habits are a very personal thing and issues with food, whether allergies, phobias or other, are a very big deal to the person dealing with them and those close to them. I think this kind of topic will always generate passionate responses, but it isn't intended to be critical, rather a vent for something they deal with all the time, that at times, can just feel like too much. :goodvibes

I don't love being like this, and I have been trying to do better. I've eaten at an Indian restaurant recently, and some of it was ok! :rotfl: But there was some of it that I just wouldn't want to try, and that will always be the things with tomatoes and onions. (I've actually started eating a little bit of peppers lately.)

But boy, just because some of us have eating problems, I don't think we deserve to get slammed for it. Sometimes my friends from work will go out for Thai food, and I wish it was something I wanted to go to, but they go without me. And I like it when everyone wants to go somewhere I like.

Everyone's just really snippy on this thread. I think in most cases, a picky person should be able to find something at a restaurant that they would like or that can be adapted for them. (And if they can't then they really do have issues.) And as long as they're willing to do that, then people shouldn't complain about what they're eating.

Like for OP, if you want to go to Mexico at EPCOT, tell your husband to get them to make him a cheese quesadilla or something. That's totally easy and they should be able to do it.

Why? because some of us think that a grown man with no obvious allergy/sensory issues etc etc etc, should restrict where his wife eats because he won't try something new is being silly.

There are things that everyone dislikes, doesn't fancy, but most places will accommodate leaving a sauce off, leaving a vege off a meal.

If you don't want to eat something that (as an adult) is totally up to you, do you miss out on lots of nice stuff? sure but that is your look out. (for the record, I don't like the idea of fruit and meat together would never order it however if it is served up to me, I eat it to be polite some times I like it sometimes I don't but I give it a go)

With my kids, they get what ever we eat, they don't want it, they don't eat it, but they don't get anything else until the next meal and they know it, they don't starve themselves and happily eat most things I put in front of them.

Kirsten

Don't worry, I'm another self confessed picky eater.

I can't cope with too many different "bits", and particular textures.

In terms of eating out at WDW as another poster said, I check the menus on allears, and as long as there is one thing I'll eat then I'm happy to go there. I then send the list to my partner who decides where he wants to go.

I try not to impact on other peoples enjoyment of food and it really bugs me that some people have an issue with me being picky. It's not like I'm forcing anyone else to eat what I like to eat!

Don't worry, I'm another self confessed picky eater.

I can't cope with too many different "bits", and particular textures.

In terms of eating out at WDW as another poster said, I check the menus on allears, and as long as there is one thing I'll eat then I'm happy to go there. I then send the list to my partner who decides where he wants to go.

I try not to impact on other peoples enjoyment of food and it really bugs me that some people have an issue with me being picky. It's not like I'm forcing anyone else to eat what I like to eat!

Exactly. And a lot of times it's the texture rather than the taste. That's how it is with me and tomatoes. I used to gag if I ever accidentally ate one. But no, I'm just being a PITA, trying to annoy other people.

People told the OP to just go where she wants to go and her husband should be able to find something he'll eat. (Or show him a menu first to maybe choose the best choices.) That was good advice. I don't think she should have to completely restrict where she eats because of him (within reason--if someone hates Asian food then that would just be mean, because all they have is Asian food at a Chinese or Japanese restaurant), but I don't think you need to unleash all your bitterness on him. No one's making you eat what he does.

I think it is unreasonable to think authenic restaurants would Americanize their food for picky eaters. Tacos with ground beef is not a Mexican food, its Tex Mex which is American.

Same with Kona Cafe, its Polynesian food.

Checkout the menus and you will find places where you can get steak off the bone, simply order a filet and plenty of places that serve roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans. You can get pasta with Alfredo sauce at Italy in Epcot.

Whispering Canyon cafe might appeal to him.

OP can try Chefs de France for something at Epcot. I'm going there in a couple of weeks. They have some mac & cheese that looks good. :goodvibes

Also take a look at the Biergarten. That might have something he would eat. I ate there last time.

San Angel Inn has gotten more restrictive for me. They used to have Queso Fundido that was awesome, but then they took that off the menu. Then they had nachos, and I could get them to remove a thing or two and put something else on the side and it was awesome, but now they don't have it anymore. So I'm not sure if I would go there anymore, right now. :(

I wouldn't eat at Kona, either.

Closing this now, as it's no longer a discussion about Disney restaurants, but about food pickiness in general.

The OP has been advised that her husband can order his food plain should he wish to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter