Advantages and Disadvantages of Clay Soil

Mamu

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Clay soils are more or less dark brown with a red to orange hue. They become stick when wet and harden to something resembling concrete in dry weather. They are usually rich in nutrients and a good growing medium when you add soil improvers, especially organic matter. White chalky clay however is the extreme, they are the poorest of soils and present real problems.

Clay soils retain water and prevent mineral salts and fertilizers from draining away into the subsoil. Soils with a high clay content can be difficult to work with, they can stick to tools, shoes and especially gloves. They also can take a long time to heat up in the spring, one of the reasons they are discribed as heavy and cold soil.

You can improve clay soils by spreading and digging in course sand. This will loosen up the soil. Clay soils also lack organic matter, by adding peat, manure or compost this will lighten up the soil. Also a clay soil that lacks chalk content can be improved by adding lime. All these methods will improve the soil and are effected to depths of 12-16 inches.

When planting trees and shrubs in clay soil, try to choose varieties who's roots are not effected by moist, heavy soil.

I have clay soil in my back yard, it does have lots of advantages, it is cooler in the hot summer and does retain moisture. When organic matter is added it's a great soil.

One of the things that I dislike about this soil is that my yard always has lots of moss in the lawn. I add lots of lime to the lawn, but when it's a wet season the moss takes over.

It's mucky and gets caked on my tools when it's wet. When it's dry, you need a jackhammer to get a good hole started. I have to water it down before digging. That's why aeriation is so important for the lawn. With my dirt, you pretty much have to. Otherwise, my grass is basically growing on a brick.

Clay soil is what we've got too, and yes, we had to add LOTS of organic matter.

Thank you, Mamu :)

Wow! That's a lotta work! It seems to me that the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages!

P.S. - I have moss in certain areas of my lawn - and garden too. But that really doesn't mean it is clay, does it?

No Tuli I think it probably means it's a shady spot that just needs lime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter