Adventure of the Sea 2019 NYE - I have some questions

FlyingBelle

DIS Veteran
I'm in the process of booking a New Year's Eve cruise on Adventure of the Sea. It's been about 20 years since I've been on Royal Caribbean, but I've taken a few Disney and Carnival cruises since then.

We're cruising with my parents, and both my brother and sister's families. Total group of 16 people. (I totally would have picked a Disney cruise, but I was overruled due to the cost)

Kids clubs: We have 3 boys (ages at time of cruising: 13, 13, 16) who will want to be together; 3 girls (ages 11, 12, 12) who will want to be together; and 2 boys (ages 8 and 8) will will want to be together. Will we be able to have the older boys together for activities and the older girls together? When we cruised Carnival they were great about accommodating one of the kids up or down an age bracket to be in the same group. Hoping RC will do the same??

Reserving shows: I read somewhere here about reserving seating for a show? Never had to do that with Disney or Carnival - tell me more please? Is this all shows? Can we get in if we haven't reserved it?

Dining: Sounds like there is early, late, and anytime dining. Does it work similar to Carnival? I'm assuming with a group of 16 we should probably pick a seating?

Bring on board: I'm not a big drinker, but I like a decent bottle of champagne in my room. Carnival and Disney have let me bring my own on board - what is the rule for RC?

Anything else we should know about the ship? Any great tips or secrets?

I read a few reviews on Cruise Critic today that weren't very favorable, but RC's website says it was voted best cruise in 2018? Help! Would appreciate any first-hand reviews of the ship.

Thank you!!

Haven't been on Adventure but have been on other Voyager class (Voyager and Mariner). Adventure looks like a great ship.

You don't book shows on Adventure. That is only for Oasis and Quantum class. There will be an early and late show that will coordinate with traditional dinner times.

You can bring on 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. I think you can bring on water and pop now but not sure of exact rule. You can also purchase drinks by the glass.

Yes, I would think with your large party, you would be best to book traditional and have your rooms linked so are seated at the same table, but someone else may have personal experience who can comment.

I doubt the 11 and 12yos will be allowed to be together. 11yos are in the kids club (9-11) and 12yos are in the teen club. Maybe they would let the 12yos move down or the 11yo move up if she's almost 12. But I wouldn't count on it.

They sometimes combine the ages in the teen club 12-17 instead of 12-14 and 15-17 but that's doubtful during a busy week like NYE. Sometimes they let a kid move up or down one year to be with family members but my experience is they won't let them move 2 years. However they do a lot of things that combine both groups. Last year my kids were 12, 13 and 16. Even though the 16yo was technically in a separate group they did a lot together.

RCCL allows you to bring 12 bottles (up to 17 oz each) of soda/water per stateroom. It must be in your carryon luggage.
Denise

Would agree about booking traditional. We had a party of 13 last cruise, and had our TA ensure that we had a table for all of us. I think MTD will let you book up to 10 people together (if Adventure allows online MTD booking).

I doubt the 11 and 12yos will be allowed to be together. 11yos are in the kids club (9-11) and 12yos are in the teen club. Maybe they would let the 12yos move down or the 11yo move up if she's almost 12. But I wouldn't count on it.

They sometimes combine the ages in the teen club 12-17 instead of 12-14 and 15-17 but that's doubtful during a busy week like NYE. Sometimes they let a kid move up or down one year to be with family members but my experience is they won't let them move 2 years. However they do a lot of things that combine both groups. Last year my kids were 12, 13 and 16. Even though the 16yo was technically in a separate group they did a lot together.
Yikes... the 11 year old will be devastated if she can’t be with the 12 year old girls and is by herself. We’re hoping to take advantage of the clubs a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter