Advice about trip with MIL using ECV

DWRocks!

Earning My Ears
We will be headed to Disney in early Dec with my MIL. She will be using an ECV and has really bad knees so standing in lines is impossible for her as well as any rides with moving walkways or any you have to step down into/out of boats (Small World for example). We would like for her to be able to do a few rides and not be limited to just shows, especially to help her reminisce (she hasn't been to Disney since the mid 80's) when she took DH when he was little.

From what I've read we can request a DAS for her to accommodate limited waiting if needed and some rides she can transfer from her ECV to a wheelchair, be pushed to the end of the line, and then ride the ride in the wheelchair so she doesn't have to transfer which eliminates the need to step down/up for boat type rides. Is this correct? I assume these wheelchairs are at the entrance of the ride and we just ask the CM? I have never paid attention before.

Also, are the rides with walkways able to be stopped to let her get on? I know we've been on rides before that have stopped and always assumed this was why. We will only be visiting MK and AK. She's never been to AK so is really excited about the shows and seeing Pandora. I'm thinking Safari is probably only other thing here she's really like to ride.

Thanks for any helpful advice!

Respectfully, your MAIL can't not not wait in line. In most cases, she can take the ECV all the way through the queue. Where she can't (i.e. Pirates, ToT), she can transfer to a Disney-provided wheelchair. Small World has a wheelchair accessible boat.

Most moving sidewalks can be stopped. Peter Pan and People Mover cannot.

Coincidentally, I had just posted this link in response to another thread(this information is available on this forum) https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

We will be headed to Disney in early Dec with my MIL. She will be using an ECV and has really bad knees so standing in lines is impossible for her as well as any rides with moving walkways or any you have to step down into/out of boats (Small World for example). We would like for her to be able to do a few rides and not be limited to just shows, especially to help her reminisce (she hasn't been to Disney since the mid 80's) when she took DH when he was little.
From what I've read we can request a DAS for her to accommodate limited waiting if needed and some rides she can transfer from her ECV to a wheelchair, be pushed to the end of the line, and then ride the ride in the wheelchair so she doesn't have to transfer which eliminates the need to step down/up for boat type rides. Is this correct? I assume these wheelchairs are at the entrance of the ride and we just ask the CM? I have never paid attention before.

Also, are the rides with walkways able to be stopped to let her get on? I know we've been on rides before that have stopped and always assumed this was why. We will only be visiting MK and AK. She's never been to AK so is really excited about the shows and seeing Pandora. I'm thinking Safari is probably only other thing here she's really like to ride.

Thanks for any helpful advice!

a DAS is really not for mobility or stanam problems since those can be accommodates using a mobility device, and 90% of lines you can take a mobility device in. If the rides only let wheel chair in then there will be wheel chair close by ( some have then in a central location in the land you are in) you can ask a CM at the ride where a wheel chair are located for use in line.

some boat rides have wheel char boat you can roll into and not have to get out of small world, is one of them..

none of the bandora rides are one you can take a wheel chair on the river one is one that you have to step down like small world but there is no wheels char boat. flight of passage is like riding a bike or motorcycle

if she need a walkway stepped you can ask a CM the only places they do not do this ( but in emergance and sometime it can take 30+ minutes to get the ride back up again) Peter Pan and the people mover ( but the people mover might let it now)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter