Advice on driving in the UK

Arthur27

Go Gators!
Hello, My family and I are going to the UK next summer for our vacation. We live in Florida about twenty miles west of Disney. I've been to the UK before but I have never driven while over there. We either rode a train or our friends gave us a lift. Plus it's been over ten years since we were there last. Well this time we are thinking about renting a car for our trip. Do any of you have any tips or advice for a first time UK driver? Honestly I don't think driving around on the other side of the road will be that bad, it's going to be fun navigating around those round-abouts though. lol

Arthur27

Don't drive in central London.
Don't overtake on the inside.
You can't turn left at a red light.
Look out for speed cameras.

Never go through a red light no matter which way you're turning
Do not drive in London - use the underground train and buses
The roads are always busy

Enjoy

Ask for an automatic, you'll have enough to think about without having to remember how to drive a stick shift that is not there you are used to finding it. :)

Good advice. I wouldn't dream of driving in London, I would get lost in no time at all. I do plan on requesting an automatic. I can drive standard no problem but I don't want the additional task of getting used to it being on the other side while trying to stay in the correct lane.

Forgot to mention, become a Noles fan as they are going to beat the gators this year. :thumbsup2

Make sure you hire or bring with you, a satnav. That way it should also tell you the current speed limit.

And if you don't like roundabouts, stay away from Milton Keynes (where I live) and Basingstoke (in Hampshire). They are notorious for having lots of the little blighters! However, speaking for here in MK, they do keep the traffic moving and you do get used to them.

If you drive at night, I think our roads are not as well lit as the US highways.

We tend to drive faster than US drivers and are far ruder.

Pam

PamPat, I am actually going to Milton Keynes! lol
I have friends there and I do remember that seemingly tons of round a bouts the size of bucket lids.

Tony64 - The Noles have a good looking QB this year for sure. The Gators look forward to knocking him out this year as well. ;)

Hey Arthur, let me know when you are around and maybe we can meet up for a coffee (or beer). We can check how you are handling these roundabouts!

Pam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter