Advice on Video Cameras at Tulum Ruins

invaderzim

DIS Veteran
I read somewhere that they charge you extra if you have a video camera on you when you visit the ruins. Has anyone ever filmed there -- and what do they charge to bring the camera in?

Thanks,
Cathy

According to the web site for the Tulum Ruins, they charge an additional $30 peso fee to bring in camcorders. At today's exchange rate, it is about $2.62 US. Hope that helps.

When we visited Tulum last year, they were charging people with video cameras. However, they didn't charge for film or digital cameras. My digital camera takes video so I shot some footage with it while we were in the ruins. You definitely want to take a camera with you of some sort, because Tulum is a beautiful place. You will really enjoy it!

scotth1042

Was the trip to get to the ruins "rough", and is it worth it?. I've read some posters said there were a lot of people getting sea sick on the ferry!

Originally posted by invaderzim
scotth1042

Was the trip to get to the ruins "rough", and is it worth it?. I've read some posters said there were a lot of people getting sea sick on the ferry!

We're on the same cruise as you and have already booked the Tulum ruins excursion! I have my prescription for meclazine (Bonine) right here, so if you need any, I will have them :teeth: I am concerned a bit about that ferry ride too, but I think the meclazine will take care of preventing seasickness.

From everything I've read, and the research I did last year before our RCI cruise, you're supposed to take sea sickness medication BEFORE and DURING your cruise, before you actually feel sick. It is much easier to prevent and avoid seasickness than to try and treat it once you're feeling nauseous.

Last year DH and I took 1 dose of meclazine with our breakfast every single morning (we started the day before the cruise), and we were fine, even when we hit some rough seas in the Atlantic Ocean. We'll do this same thing this year; and we'll include our DSs (they're teens), so that they hopefully won't get seasick either!

I did buy some Bonine. I've never gotten sick on the cruise ship itself -- even during our last cruise when we went through a two-day storm and dishes fell off the shelves in the kitchen, but I have gotten sick on ferries. My DH and DD are always fine, so I'm not worried about them.

I'm curious -- what is the difference between the prescription and over the counter Bonine?

Thanks for your help.

Cathy

I don't think there is a difference except that with the prescription I can get a big bottle full of meclazine, while the Bonine costs more when you buy it over the counter.

We've been on the ferry boat ride twice, once in December and the sea was so rough, I'd say 80% of the ferry riders got sick, DH took meds and seas don't bother me. The other time was in March '03, and the ride was smooth.

Tullum was wonderful! I seem to remember there being a $10 fee for camcorders.

Bobbi:boat:

Originally posted by invaderzim
scotth1042 Was the trip to get to the ruins "rough", and is it worth it?. I've read some posters said there were a lot of people getting sea sick on the ferry!

Yes, it is that rough! Trust me.....the tender to the mainland is awful!! Our Disney rep was handing out purple sicksacks and some type of motionsick medicine like it was candy! I can't tell you what type of medicine, since I was comfy with my patch.

A lot of people like the meds, but I personally recieved no benefit from dramamine. Absolutely none, I've learned to save my money. Since I've never tried Bonine, I wouldn't comment on that one.

The patch has been a great find for me. My doctor actually recommended it, and I've since used them for carnival rides as well as on the rollercoasters/thrill rides in FL.

Kelli

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter