Age Recommendation for Animation Academy?

ellamama

Mouseketeer
My 5-year-old loves to draw so was thinking to taking her to the Animation Academy when we visit this summer. But having never been, I would love some advice as to whether she'd be too young/find it frustrating. I wouldn't want to take her if the directions are too complicated for a 5-year-old. Advice from those that have done it? Also, how long does the session last?

There was a period of time where my son was coming rent to draw what he wanted to draw. Lots of ninjas were on his pages.

Then he wanted to follow along but grew frustrated because they go quickly. And his skills didn’t match what they were saying.

We were going a lot until he was 5ish, then we took a break before starting going to Wdw. So I think it was in the 4 and 5 years that he got frustrated.

Then a couple years later he got interested again, but I’m ok with art and his dad could have been an artist, so he would compare, and he got sad again.

A lot will be based on her personality.

It is high rise auditorium seating, so you can sit the back and escape if child is one for ..."it needs to be perfect"...... more of historical content then all us trying to say " what the.....?"
Its number one popularity draw......sitting calm and air conditioned.

My five-year-old has been going consistently since she was 4 1/2 - we went a few times before then, but she just scribbled. At 4 1/2, she would follow along and make characters that at least resembled what they were doing.

She does get frustrated with the ones that she can't do "right," like Sully on Saturday was quite a bit tougher than most and she told us to "throw hers away" at the end (we convinced her not to), but normally she's quite pleased. If you stick to an easy character (anything round, like Mickey or currently Jack-Jack is good), it is do-able.

We do prep with a lot of talk about how it's not going to be perfect and everyone's is different, etc.

The difficulty of the character for that session is a big part of it, too. Last year, we took my DD9 for the first time. The first character we did was Daisy Duck, and she was near tears because hers wound up looking, as she said, "like a monster." We decided to do another session an hour or two later to give her another chance, and the character was Zero. Her Zero was a definite success, and she felt a lot better after that.

I've taken all of my girls starting at around 4-5. I agree with the suggestions above about simpler characters etc. I'd also say to make a point to try and go a second time even if the first time is rough. Your DD will have a better idea what to expect the second time through and it will likely go more smoothly for her (even if its a different character). And while you can sit in the back so you can sneak out, my girls usually like to sit in front. Last time we went, DD5 (at the time) went twice and she actually did pretty good the second time. The artist recognized her from the previous session and gave her the demonstration drawing too which she loved.

To give you a reference point:

kpgVWpV.jpg

This is my favorite (it’s baby Groot), and it’s probably her best one, done just after she turned 5).

mmX3bOP.jpg

This is the first one she ever did that turned out recognizable-ish, at 4 1/2.

It’s definitely worth trying! If you’re worried about it sit in the back on the aisle if you decided to cut out. My kids really enjoyed it last time at 5 and 7. One is definitely a perfectionist who gets frustrated so they were a bit harder to please and flipped the page over to start again. It might also depend on the difficulty and/or their interest in the character. My perfectionist loves Jack so he was thrilled it wasn’t a princess.

It's quick, I can't remember how long, but maybe 20 minutes?

My son is much older (19), has Autism, and drawing anything is not his forte. He enjoyed the class, and you know what, his drawings were not even close to looking what they were supposed to be, but he had fun!

I think it completely depends on the child. That being said, my son was 4 the first time he did it and liked it. I would say the ability to sit quietly is more important than artistic skills :)

If nothing else the a/c makes for a perfect mid day break.

This is such a favorite of our family! We have been taking our girls since they were really little. We even take a cardboard cylinder with us so we can roll up our drawings and keep them nice and not get crushed so as to display them at home!! Not kidding - we have a special frame for them and we rotate them from time to time. Such fun memories!

Our oldest flipped out one time when she was 11 or 12 — ripped up her paper, tears, the whole thing!! not her finest moment. I would just prep your child that you are all going to try and learn how to draw a character and that you are learning, too, and so on. Trust me, between the four of us, we have got some doozies over here LOL!! A certain Pooh Bear comes to mind!!

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice and feedback! Sitting still isn't a problem, it is more of the perfectionist tendencies :)

Sounds like we should give it a try -- excited for something new (and a new spot for an A/C break). Is the schedule of characters posted anywhere? Seems like a simpler character would make for a better first experience.

I seem to recall the characters being listed on a sign near the entrance into the “studio”, but it has been a while since we were there and we have also been several times at DW so I may not be remembering correctly. Hopefully someone who has been there recently can share their experience with characters being posted.

I seem to recall the characters being listed on a sign near the entrance into the “studio”, but it has been a while since we were there and we have also been several times at DW so I may not be remembering correctly. Hopefully someone who has been there recently can share their experience with characters being posted.
They are on a board near the entrance (to the room, not the building), but, unfortunately, not posted anywhere online AFAIK.

I would suggest watching the "class sessions " on YouTube first. Do it as they do. If they love it , yay! If they hate it , youll know before you go. Hope that helps.

If you don't mind a spoiler, there are people that have posted some of the sessions on youtube. You could always watch one and see what you think. We love Animation Academy. DD and I always say we are going to get pads of paper and spend a day watching the YouTube videos and drawing characters, but we never seem to find the time and actually do it! Funny what Carrie in AZ said -- my DD also was way more critical of her own drawing at about age 10 or 11. Can't remember which year it was, but she also had a mini-meltdown and wadded hers up to throw away. She always liked her own drawings when she was younger. For whatever reason, that particular session she was not pleased. Can't even remember who she was drawing at the time. I remember we got in line and did it again with another character that day and it was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter