Airfares Dec/Jan

disneymum2201

Mouseketeer
Looking at a trip Late Dec to LAX. Any thoughts - Are current airfares as good as it gets or do prices generally reduce as the date draws near?

In past years I kicked myself for buying too early as the prices always seemed to get better with specials being released mid year. This being said I bought my tickets for a Nov 30 departure three weeks ago as I felt $1157 total per ticket was good enough for me to make the early purchase. I had a budget of around $2000 per ticket so was happy with the savings.
It is unlikely that there will be any great fares after the 8th Dec as this is when the high season starts for the Christmas period.

I agree with Platypus. We are going early December and had been watching fares since they were released. The plan was to wait until about about 6 months out and then get them, as I thought and had been told that the magic 6 month mark is usually when you can get the best prices.

Well we ended up getting them in March as I got a fare for $1111 per adult (so just over $800 for kids) and I just jumped on it. I really don't think that I will find a better price than that, especially for the airline I want (V Aust).

I think if you are planning to go late December you should just grab whatever fare looks the best for you as soon as you can. That time of year will be peak for travelling so it is unlikely they will have any amazing sale prices come out later in the year. I think the longer you wait the more likely it is that all the cheaper fares that they have now will be sold anyway so all that may be left may be the fully flexi or whatever they like to call the really expensive fares for the same seats :confused3

xxx

I agree with the 2 PP.
Once you are squarely in School Holidays you aren't going to get great fares.
This is when everyone else wants to travel.
PLUS once you get to the last 2 weeks of December the price for accommodation goes up as well...and the crowds get larger and larger.

December flights (pre Christmas) are much cheaper than January flights.

This last December we bought tickets just days before we left at the beginning of December. Qantas was having a special for early December and also VAustralia had very very cheap flights. We ended up paying just over $500 one way to LAX and our son's ticket was $300 and something being a childs ticket! It was a bargain and that was buying a ticket just a few days out.

So with the beginning of December being a quiet time to fly there will be specials and really good specials. If you are returning after New Year the return flight price will not be so wonderful.

I agree with the 2 PP.
PLUS once you get to the last 2 weeks of December the price for accommodation goes up as well...and the crowds get larger and larger.

Up to the 24th December this year (not sure after as we had gone :goodvibes ) they had a stay 4 get 3 free or something like that at Disneyland hotels! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter