• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airline (WestJet) question

If I were to get this card asap, do you get to book the $99 companion fare right away? Or do you have to wait 1 year? Can I use the $250 WestJet dollars and $99 companion fare on the same booking for a family of 4?

OP-:wave: Another Peg city WDW planner over here!

From what I remember the $250 Westjet dollars and the $99 companion fare don't appear in your account right away. You have to make a purchase and it was be credited in the next billing cycle or something like that. We were able to use both Westjet dollars and the $99 companion voucher in the same transaction.

These is the fine print from the Westjet website...

"Once approved for the WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard, please allow 4-6 weeks after the first purchase transaction date for the welcome bonus of 250 WestJet dollars to appear on your credit card statement and for the for the welcome companion flight voucher (the "Flight Voucher") to appear on your WestJet account, accessible at www.westjet.com. The Flight Voucher is offered to new WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard cardholders only, and annually thereafter upon their credit card anniversary date. Primary cardholder may use the companion flight voucher only once on their choice of A) $99 (plus taxes, fees and charges) round-trip flight for travel in Canada and the continental U.S.; B) $299 (plus taxes, fees and charges) round-trip flight for travel to/from Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and Hawaii; or C) $399 (plus taxes, fees and charges) round-trip flight to/from Europe. The Flight Voucher may only be used if the companion is travelling with you on the same itinerary. Applicable taxes, fees and charges on the Flight Voucher are the responsibility of the traveller and must be paid at time of booking. Flight Voucher is available on all published eligible fares marketed and operated by WestJet. Flight Voucher is available on all published eligible Econo, Flex or Plus fares wholly marketed and operated by WestJet and may only be used if the companion is travelling with you on the same itinerary. Flight Voucher pricing differs based on origin and destination. The Flight Voucher is only valid for new bookings made through WestJet's Sales Super Centre, cannot be applied to existing reservations or on new reservations made on www.westjet.com and is not valid for group bookings or WestJet Vacations bookings"

If I were to get this card asap, do you get to book the $99 companion fare right away? Or do you have to wait 1 year? Can I use the $250 WestJet dollars and $99 companion fare on the same booking for a family of 4?

Yes, you can definitely use the $250 bonus dollars and the $99 companion fare on the same booking. We applied for the Westjet Mastercard middle of January last year, approval was really quick - maybe 2 weeks from application till my husband picked up the card at the bank locally. I was just looking online to see when the companion fare comes available again and it is February 25th, so I am guessing it took a month to get it added to the account when we got the card last year as it would have been the last week of January we got the care. I have been really happy with it and pleasantly surprised at how quick the Westjet $ add up. And I really like that the $99 companion fare is for the same fare level as the fare booked, so if you the cardholder books Plus fare, then the companion fare is still only $99 plus taxes. We used ours for a trip to PEI last summer and were able to fly Plus fare which was a nice treat.

Yes, you can use the $99 companion fare right away, and yes, you can use both the Westjet dollars and companion fare in the same booking. You do still have to pay the taxes along with the $99 fare, but it's still cheaper. Also, there is no charge for luggage (2 pp, I think) for the Westjet card holders.

I just used my $99 companion trip for my husband and myself for our trip this April flying out of Prince George, BC. Had to pay for my flight less whatever westjet dollars I had plus $99 and the taxes (his ticket worked out to $265 total for a return ticket. Nice not having to worry about being charged for checked luggage too!

If you download the WestJet app on your iPhone, iPad, etc. you get access to a calendar and the days where the fares are low there's a yellow rectangle ish that says "Low fare" and you can plan your Disney trip from those days :)

i have an avion card and by using points when pricing last december it worked out to $143/person for taxes and fees from YYZ. i never booked flights, see my signature, but gonna start researching again. youngest DS still laments about 2:30am wake up for our first trip! trying to get an 8ish am flight out this time.

Google Flights (https://www.google.ca/flights/) was a BIG help once I had travel nailed down to a few preferred dates. You can flag dates/routes/airlines for monitoring, and Google will email you whenever the price changes--both up and down. Sure as heck beats checking in with WestJet on a daily basis! :)

when is the ideal time to book a flight if you are going to WDW the last week of November?
my co-workers told me that I should be able to get flights from Ottawa to MCO for around the 180 mark, but I have yet to seen the flights at that price.
Right now it will cost me around 2,000$ for four flights (return) on direct flights.
(or is this a good price) I don't normally fly - this will be our first "flight" trip...ever.

I paid $3000 CAD for 4 on Air Canada last spring break and that was the cheapest I'd seen it. We also flew mid-week to avoid the crazy spring break prices. Maybe $180 each way??? But if that's off season, I suppose it's possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter