Airlines Must Pay Refunds

How do you accept changes?
We just never responded to their email or automated phone call request to confirm the changes.

If you don't respond, you've accepted the changes, unfortunately.

I'm not sure if the rules are the same today, but when I had a situation where they had changed my flight, I did some searching and found that if they change my flight times within an hour of my booked flight, it could be cancelled.

Today, it could be the same or better. The biggest takeaway, is do not accept it if it's not convenient. You are entitled to change it to a flight that is, at the very least.

Everyone that is traveling by air should know that there are a bill of rights - here's an older article that I had bookmarked.

https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/16253619/7-air-passenger-rights-you-might-not-know-about/
Here's the law passed in 2019:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/2341/text

I just pulled up my flight information again to give Delta a call. When they emailed me last week, I had a flight arriving into MSP less than a half hour before my flight from MSP to LAX was to depart. Obviously, too tight a window in any circumstance. When I just now pulled up my reservation, I discovered there was yet another change they hadn't emailed me about yet. They now have me arriving into MSP a full 50 minutes AFTER my flight from MSP to LAX departs. Ummm... yep, I'm pretty sure a flight schedule like that entitles me to a refund. :rotfl2:

In the past, I've had to log in to the airlines website or call to accept the changes. And given that at least Delta is saying "don't call us unless you have a flight in the next 72 hours" because they are so overloaded, I don't think they can hold anyone to the "well, you didn't tell us it wasn't okay so you accepted the changes."

In the past, I've had to log in to the airlines website or call to accept the changes. And given that at least Delta is saying "don't call us unless you have a flight in the next 72 hours" because they are so overloaded, I don't think they can hold anyone to the "well, you didn't tell us it wasn't okay so you accepted the changes."

Yes, I would hope in these circumstances you would be correct.

I'm not sure if the rules are the same today, but when I had a situation where they had changed my flight, I did some searching and found that if they change my flight times within an hour of my booked flight, it could be cancelled.

Today, it could be the same or better. The biggest takeaway, is do not accept it if it's not convenient. You are entitled to change it to a flight that is, at the very least.

Everyone that is traveling by air should know that there are a bill of rights - here's an older article that I had bookmarked.

https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/16253619/7-air-passenger-rights-you-might-not-know-about/
Here's the law passed in 2019:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/2341/text
I'm just repeating what 3 different American Agents stated to me over the phone. It was around 2pm that I noticed that the flight was cancelled, called the TA by 2:30pm and told them I wanted a refund, and by 4pm I got an e-email from American that they changed my flight and I spoke with 2 agents that night and another one on Thursday that all said, don't respond to the change request and just let your TA cancel the flight and request the refund. So that is what we did. Now if they told me correct or not, I can't say but that is what we ended up doing.

Psy

It was around 2pm that I noticed that the flight was cancelled, called the TA by 2:30pm and told them I wanted a refund,

I think you were brilliant for watching the cancellation on flightaware. I'm sure it made things much easier for you because you were calling them for a refund, before you ever received the change notice.

I just know, in the absence of a pandemic, you don't have to accept those changes if they substantially change your trip, but you must contact them with that information. Otherwise, they are going to assume you accept.

Update: I called Delta and selected for them to call me back rather than wait on hold. They called back about 30 minutes later. The first CSR I spoke to tried to tell me the flights were non-refundable and they could only issue me a credit. I pointed out that they cancelled my two non-stop flights and substituted flights that were not acceptable to me, especially since one of the legs was departing before the prior leg was even scheduled to land. She stumbled around a bit, trying to tell me they still couldn't refund me. I told her based on their changing my flights from non-stops to one and two stop flights, plus their own scheduling would guarantee I would miss one of my connections, I was due a refund under their contract of carriage. Those were the magic words. I've been transferred to someone else that will process my refund. I've been sitting on hold for about 20 minutes now waiting for that person, but I will be receiving a refund.

ETA: It took another half hour on hold but they are processing my refund. The last guy I spoke to was super nice and super quick about it. No arguments about not refunding. He did warn me it would take anywhere from 7 to 21 days to process the refund because they are so backed up.

Last edited:

One thing to understand is that a "significant change" isn't really defined. You're going to have more scrutiny applied but generally if your departure time and arrival time is within one hour of the scheduled time then you're out of luck for a refund.

One thing to understand is that a "significant change" isn't really defined. You're going to have more scrutiny applied but generally if your departure time and arrival time is within one hour of the scheduled time then you're out of luck for a refund.
And various airlines have different rules for what constitutes a “significant change”. At one point recently, United attempted to change their rule to 25 hours! Major protests, so they back off a bit. It is now 6 hours for United. The other major carriers appear to be much more accommodating.

I think you just have to stick to your guns if you think you are entitled to a refund. They may just get tired of dealing with you and give at some point. Good luck everyone.

we have tickets with air Canada, so I guess it does not apply to us either. they will not issue cash refund, only a credit for a future flight

Air Canada is not playing nice with us either, despite our flight being entirely cancelled by Air Canada, and being covered by the US DOT position statement.

We all have choices in discretionary spending. I will remember the companies that were accommodating and easy to work with during this crisis and future spending will reward them. But Air Canada is currently on the naughty list.

We have flights booked on AA leaving Saturday. I’ll wait until the absolute last minute to cancel. I’m hoping AA will cancel first.

This is the correct answer. We had ticket to fly on Aer Lingus last month. We called the day before our flight and it was canceled. We got a full refund. They were offering a 10% bonus if we took a credit but we opted for the refund since we don't fly Aer Lingus several times per year.

Delta cancelled a leg of a flight (I had multi-city booked) and then changed the departure of the last leg to be over two hours later. I knew I was entitled to a refund, did an online chat, and refund was put back on my card today (less than 24 hours later).

Air Canada is not playing nice with us either, despite our flight being entirely cancelled by Air Canada, and being covered by the US DOT position statement.

We all have choices in discretionary spending. I will remember the companies that were accommodating and easy to work with during this crisis and future spending will reward them. But Air Canada is currently on the naughty list.

Air Canada changed our 6:30pm flight from Vancouver to LAX to 2pm. I called air Canada and explained the flight change would not work for us, please refund. air Canada person would only offer a credit to be used in the future. after insisting, she said I could apply for the refund online. 2 days ago, I sent in the online application requesting a refund. Have not heard back yet. hopefully I will.

American cancelled our flt to Barcelona 5/27.
We still have a return flight listed for 6/6, though. Submitted online refund process yesterday and it's currently in review.

Air Canada changed our 6:30pm flight from Vancouver to LAX to 2pm. I called air Canada and explained the flight change would not work for us, please refund. air Canada person would only offer a credit to be used in the future. after insisting, she said I could apply for the refund online. 2 days ago, I sent in the online application requesting a refund. Have not heard back yet. hopefully I will.

heard back today, its under review

Oh my goodness THANK YOU everyone who posted here. I just got off the phone with Southwest and they are refunding our flight. They had changed the times on our flights, and I cancelled my flight later that day (long story as to why). I knew we would never be able to use the travel credit for my in-laws (whose tickets we bought), and I knew we would probably only be able to use a small portion of travel credits for ourselves, because the prices I had paid back in January were so much higher than any new flight dates. I looked up the "customer service commitment' disclosure on Southwest's website, and sure enough it states that in the event Southwest changes flight times, you have the option to "cancel your trip without penalty and receive a refund issued to the original form of payment"--which I had no idea was the case before reading this thread.

It was so much easier than I ever imagined: I just said the change in flight times didn't work for me and we had cancelled, and asked if we could have a refund to the original form of payment instead of travel credits per the "customer service commitment". The customer service rep just said she had to get approval from her manager, did so, and then confirmed they'd approved a refund. I am so floored as the flight was for 7 of us, at pre-covid prices, so this is a HUGE deal to me.

So big warm hugs a-la Olaf to Southwest!!! They are amazing--they could have easily made excuses since I had already accepted the travel funds, but they didn't and I am impressed! And you all are amazing for giving me this information and the confidence to try calling them!

P.S., editing to say I realized right after posting that other people have not been having such good look and I absolutely did not mean to rub it in and am so sorry others have been having to jump through hoops to get their refunds. I am just so relieved as our finances definitely took a hit due to covid. I also wanted to post right away so others who have Southwest know they are honoring the refund. Also, our flight change was only about an hour on each leg, so they don't seem to be as picky about "substantial change" as other airlines.

Oh my goodness THANK YOU everyone who posted here. I just got off the phone with Southwest and they are refunding our flight. They had changed the times on our flights, and I cancelled my flight later that day (long story as to why). I knew we would never be able to use the travel credit for my in-laws (whose tickets we bought), and I knew we would probably only be able to use a small portion of travel credits for ourselves, because the prices I had paid back in January were so much higher than any new flight dates. I looked up the "customer service commitment' disclosure on Southwest's website, and sure enough it states that in the event Southwest changes flight times, you have the option to "cancel your trip without penalty and receive a refund issued to the original form of payment"--which I had no idea was the case before reading this thread.

It was so much easier than I ever imagined: I just said the change in flight times didn't work for me and we had cancelled, and asked if we could have a refund to the original form of payment instead of travel credits per the "customer service commitment". The customer service rep just said she had to get approval from her manager, did so, and then confirmed they'd approved a refund. I am so floored as the flight was for 7 of us, at pre-covid prices, so this is a HUGE deal to me.

So big warm hugs a-la Olaf to Southwest!!! They are amazing--they could have easily made excuses since I had already accepted the travel funds, but they didn't and I am impressed! And you all are amazing for giving me this information and the confidence to try calling them!

P.S., editing to say I realized right after posting that other people have not been having such good look and I absolutely did not mean to rub it in and am so sorry others have been having to jump through hoops to get their refunds. I am just so relieved as our finances definitely took a hit due to covid. I also wanted to post right away so others who have Southwest know they are honoring the refund. Also, our flight change was only about an hour on each leg, so they don't seem to be as picky about "substantial change" as other airlines.

I'm so glad this worked out for you. I love Southwest and fly them the majority of the time.

I just got off the phone with Delta....Back in December, they revised the scheduled departure/arrival of the second leg of my return flight (MSP to GRR) - departure was 1hr 42min later than original, arrival was 1hr 33min later than original.

I found in their contract of carriage Rule 19 that says, "...If there is a flight cancellation, diversion, delay of greater than 90 minutes, or that will cause a passenger to miss connections, Delta will (at passenger’s request) cancel the remaining ticket and refund the unused portion of the ticket and unused ancillary fees in the original form of payment."

I had to go back and forth with the agent for several minutes because she kept looking only at the first leg of each of my flights which only changed by a few minutes...finally got her to agree that this leg's schedule change was more than 90 minutes, so she agreed to a refund. She said it could take "3 to 21 days" to process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter