Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Have you ever thought about using powdered milk in your baking. I know it isn't as palatable to drink but it can be used in baking the same way you use normal milk. Just mix some up and keep it in the fridge for baking with. I am the daughter of a mom who grew up during the depression.

Another thought is buttermilk for baking. I find it makes everything I bake so much better and I'll bet you would be able to find it easier than regular milk right now. Also, my local Shoppers has a couple of rows of milk and is limiting purchases to 2 per family so I guess that is why they have it in stock

I seen that. Of course all heck breaks out when we are on our way to Calgary. I was seeing posts on FB of people in GP about store shelves. The family did venture out to get some groceries for the couple meals we were eating there while visiting. The dd had been doing a little stockpiling of things that they eat, just so she didn't have to go out with the baby so much. We didn't want to eat her supply she had. We were able to have the meals we wanted

Just wanted to say...you could always freeze some milk in smaller portions that you would use for baking. That way you would have a supply for baking and some for ready to use for the toddler and cooking if needed. Just an idea on how to keep staples that we would use. Or if you can get some evaporated milk too...that would work as well. I bought a few just in case for when we are all told to self isolate, then I will use those specifically for baking :flower:

I don't blame your daughter at all for wanting to keep baby home! It's stressful enough to deal with being in the world, let alone trying to fight crowds with an infant.

Thanks for the suggestion to freeze milk! We have an upright freezer in our garage, so freezing is a great option. I really enjoy baking, and especially with so much home time I imagine I'll do a fair amount.

Any ideas about whether it's safe to share baking with others right now? Like, if I baked a cake and left it for the neighbours, would it be safe for them to eat? Or better to keep our creations to ourselves?

@marchingstar Google the ratios for mixing powdered milk. I don't have any on hand at the moment. It's one of the things on my "to get" list. I've been channelling my mother these last few days and all the lessons I learned growing up in the 70's.

Great idea borrowing from your experiences as a kid! We all do need to think in thrifty ways about products to have/use in the next little while. Especially when it comes to subbing during cooking and baking.

I just want to say thank you to you all for sharing all these great ideas about dairy alternatives, especially for baking. I feel so validated by this discussion, and this is a helpful resource of options.

the duck is currently powering down for a little self care time, if I'm not careful I'll get overwhelmed by alllll the extra that these days are full of. Is there any interest in a thread dedicated to baking/ cooking? If so I'd be happy to do that! I have a ton of tried and true, relatively easy recipes for bread, cookies, squares etc.

the duck is currently powering down for a little self care time, if I'm not careful I'll get overwhelmed by alllll the extra that these days are full of. Is there any interest in a thread dedicated to baking/ cooking? If so I'd be happy to do that! I have a ton of tried and true, relatively easy recipes for bread, cookies, squares etc.
I would be interested in that. I am happy today as I got some flour so I could make cookies or muffins if I wanted to now.

I would be interested. We make all of our own desserts and breads. I could always use new ideas. I would also love to branch out and try bagels, hamburger buns etc. I would even love some new meal ideas as I do much of our cooking from scratch.

I would be interested. We make all of our own desserts and breads. I could always use new ideas. I would also love to branch out and try bagels, hamburger buns etc. I would even love some new meal ideas as I do much of our cooking from scratch.

So they aren't traditional, but I've used a recipe for bagel bombs a few times and they're great. They freeze well, and they're easy to adapt based on what you have on hand (as long as you have cream cheese). I'll share on the new thread :)

Donald--this is a really thoughtful idea, and I really appreciate all the work you do for our little community. I know that the baking thread might not be the most applicable to you, with your current restrictions, and I really appreciate you. I'll think on some good, simple options that might work (if you remind us all what you're eating these days!)

So they aren't traditional, but I've used a recipe for bagel bombs a few times and they're great. They freeze well, and they're easy to adapt based on what you have on hand (as long as you have cream cheese). I'll share on the new thread :)

Donald--this is a really thoughtful idea, and I really appreciate all the work you do for our little community. I know that the baking thread might not be the most applicable to you, with your current restrictions, and I really appreciate you. I'll think on some good, simple options that might work (if you remind us all what you're eating these days!)
Yeah, not happening! Even though I've branched out and now have a whopping 6 ingredients there ain't much to do with those that I'm not already doing!!! It's a REALLY good thing i like blueberries, they are making up the majority of my diet right now.

Rexall is stepping up for those 55+

As of March 18 Rexall is dedicating the first hour of shopping exclusively to customers 55+ and individuals with disabilities.
Rexall will offer a 20% discount on regular priced merchandise to customers 55 years and older through our Advantage 55+ program until 10:00 am daily through to September 3, 2020. This will continue to be offered all day every Tuesday as part of Advantage 55+

I believe Shoppers is doing so as well. And some other stores as well I think? The 20% discount on regular priced merchandise is nice.

I had a tad bit of anxiety today when I realized I only have 14 days of Thyroid pills left.(I don't have a thyroid and need the pills to live). I tried to renew them at Rexall but it wouldn't go through. I called Rexall and they said it was my Insurance company's policy not to renew yet. I said well how much are they??? The pharmacist said $20.00,,,Well Good Golly Miss Molly...... I said I'll pay cash. I now have my script for another 3 months.Phew anxiety level went way down.
Thanks Rexall.

Hugs
Mel

@bababear_50, I had a similiar realization today as well. Only I was running out of birth control pills!! Oh h-e-l-l nooo, that ain’t happening! Calling tomorrow to get more asap!
Well they are saying that in 9 months the new babies are not gen x or y, they are the Covid Babies, and they are expecting alot. Welcome to the group...lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter