• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

@baozi thanks for that, some really good info :)

I have taken the 460 from Downtown LA to Disney before, its a great option

I just need transport from Disney / Anaheim to LAX, so I think Karmel is still my best option.

I’m really into public transportation. OCTA bus 76 leaves the airport to Disneyland every hour M-F 6am to 6pm. No car seats needed on big buses. Use google maps to figure out best bus to transfer to get to Airbnb.
Is that to / from SNA? I’ll be solo so totally up for taking public transportation

He was talking about SNA. Since you brought it up, I can provide some more information on public transportation. It is more based on weekday schedules.

I am not actually based in LA area, so these might not be the best options. However, I visit LA about once per month from the bay area, I did all of the options below. Generally it is not a good idea unless the number of people going is small.

LAX: One option is to take green line light rail to Norwalk (need to take a shuttle to the green line airport station), then Metro 460 to Disneyland, 460 is nearly all local and takes very long. It takes a little more than 2 hours, but most of the time is spent on Disneyland -> Norwalk (around 90 minutes). Total cost is $1.75... If you replace the 460 part with Uber/lyft, it is much faster. You can also do Flyaway (to Union station) + Amtrak (or Metrolink) + OCTA 43/543 (for Fullerton) or ART 15 / OCTA 50 (for Anaheim). It also takes about 2 hours, cost around $20.

LGB: Long beach 104 (to Norwalk / Wardlow) + OCTA 46. About 1.5 hours, cost $3.25.

SNA: As mentioned above, OCTA 76 (to MacArthur / Harbor) + OCTA 43/543. About 1 hour, cost $2 (OCTA's single ride ticket is valid for 1 hour, can be used for transfer, though I do not know if it is the intention...)

ONT: This one... too difficult...

BUR: You can take the train, either Amtrak or Metrolink (need a transfer at Union station), and then either OCTA 43/543 (if you use Fullerton station) or OCTA 50/ ART 15 (if you use Anaheim station). Cost around $20, takes 2 hours.

OCTA 43/543 Metro 460 is right on Harbor outside the door, OCTA 46 is on Ball near the TRAM, OCTA 50 is on Katella. In order to utilize transfer feature for public transportation in LA area, you need a "TAP" card which you can obtain on ticket machines for $1. For OCTA fare, you can use the app.
Thank you for this ! :daisy: :daisy: :daisy:

Just flew into SNA today and took a taxi to the Grand Californian. It was about $40 + tip. Super easy. There are signs near baggage claim showing you where to go to catch a cab. We were eating lunch at Downtown Disney after checking into the hotel within an hour of landing at the airport. Very easy and convenient for anyone wondering about using a taxi.

Just flew into SNA today and took a taxi to the Grand Californian. It was about $40 + tip. Super easy. There are signs near baggage claim showing you where to go to catch a cab. We were eating lunch at Downtown Disney after checking into the hotel within an hour of landing at the airport. Very easy and convenient for anyone wondering about using a taxi.
Thanks for sharing this. Really appreciate hearing your experience today. I’ve never flown into SNA, & then I fly out of LAX just to make life more interesting :rolleyes:

I hope I'm posting this in the right section...
So, I'd like to visit the resort in early September of 2020 for my birthday, but I have an issue I've never had to deal with before. See, I fly into California to either the Ontario airport, LGB, or LAX because they are the most cost-effective for me, even if I try the avoid LAX as much as possible. I used to take the Disneyland Express buses by Coach to my hotels with my family or girlfriend. It was really convenient, budget-friendly, worry-free, and we felt a lot more safe because of it, because, well... No offense to the locals, but LA's size and traffic really spook me, and I don't want myself or anyone else to deal with the traffic and crowds. Not my family, not even the Lyft or Uber driver.

Unfortunately, the Disneyland Express buses ceased operation in January for no apparent reason, and it really has me in a pickle. I'm planning a solo trip, too. I do this with every area I travel, but I get ultra paranoid about walking through and around big cities like Phoenix, Salt Lake City, or LA, especially being a woman all alone with all of my stuff. It's sad that it has to be that way. Oh, and for the hotel I'm eyeballing, It's the Hilton Anaheim. They have a bus service (ART to be exact), but they don't go to any of the airports. Just around Anaheim. Does anyone know of any safe and perhaps budget-friendly ways to get from say, LAX to the hotel, or at least close to it and vice versa, or will I just have to suck it up and get a rental car or a Lyft?

It'd really help me out and ease anxiety! Hopefully the info in this thread will also help others. Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh, and for the hotel I'm eyeballing, It's the Hilton Anaheim. They have a bus service (ART to be exact), but they don't go to any of the airports. Just around Anaheim. Does anyone know of any safe and perhaps budget-friendly ways to get from say, LAX to the hotel, or at least close to it and vice versa, or will I just have to suck it up and get a rental car or a Lyft?

It'd really help me out and ease anxiety! Thanks!

Glad to see others have given suggestions on alternative for airport to hotel transport.

Just want to let you know though that the ART is the Anaheim Resort Transportation, it is not specific to the Hilton. This is public transportation in Anaheim.

Lansky isn't terribly budget friendly but I really like using them. In a week and a half it will be our 3rd time using their service; they are there waiting for us with a sign when we arrive, they help with luggage to the car and will make a grocery stop if needed. I am like you, the thought of driving in LA traffic is anxiety inducing and I liked using the Disneyland Express buses was less scary as a passenger. I am also a terrible passenger in any car just because I am not in control and a lot of traffic on fast freeways that I don't know freaks me out. I hate driving up to Portland, OR because of all the traffic and I live about an hour away from it.

That said, I like Lansky and never feel unsafe in their cars, the drivers have all been super professional, helpful and they seem like good drivers who really know their way around town. It is almost double the cost of round trip for 2 based on what the Disneyland express prices were but I am skittish to do Uber or Lyft so this is what we use now.

Karmel Shuttle. I love them (I usually catch them from SNA). I travel alone a lot too and feel completely safe with them.
I'll be using Karmel for the first time as well next month. What's the procedure again for contacting them upon arrival at LAX? Just call them after I've got my bags? I thought I read where they send a text or something around your plane arrival time to confirm you are ready for pickup? Or, is it a must that I call them?

If you can find a flight into SNA I just uber from there or taxi it is cheap and fast. We are flying back home through LAX I also try to avoid them at all costs, but there were no flights out of SNA for us to get home with so that is our only choice. I am thinking I will book a transfer with someone so I am interested to hear everyones options,

Glad to see others have given suggestions on alternative for airport to hotel transport.

Just want to let you know though that the ART is the Anaheim Resort Transportation, it is not specific to the Hilton. This is public transportation in Anaheim.
I figured as much. Thanks for that info!

LGB is the closest airport of the 3 mentioned. Very easy, small airport... transportation is across the street.... taxis and shuttles (and rental cars). You can book a shared shuttle or walk over and talk to the drivers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter