Airtran- is it worth it to pay for seats?

As noted on a different thread, if you're paying several thousand dollars for your vacation why complain about $6 per person for a seat? We bought trip insurance and we paid for our seats. Both are types of insurance IMHO.

I admit to being hooked on this thread as well.:rolleyes1

This thread reminds me of a comic on The Oatmeal. Just substitute the idea of buying plane tickets for buying an Iphone, and "paying for seats" for "buying smartphone apps".

I quote:
"New Iphone 4G-that'll be $425.19 with tax." "Only $425? That's 1/10 the cost of getting my wife's backhair removed! Charge it, fine sir! Charge it like there's no tomorrow!"

"Downloading app...click ok to confirm that you want to buy the app for $.99." "Whoa whoa whoa! 99 cents? Gosh, I dunno...that's a lot of money! I should call my accountant first, or at least sleep on it before making a decision."

Okay, next time the two of you fly anywhere, and a passenger asks you to change seats, say this: "I appreciate you asking, but we (I) can't do that." Period.

MY reason for you saying 'no' is that you didn't get to sit together on your honeymoon. But you don't have to explain anything to anyone (except possibly the flight crew :)).

There is no chance in the world that I would have moved out of my seat next to my husband when I was on my honeymoon. None at all.

My explanation would have been "I paid for this seat and I'm keeping it." That's it.

We traveled airtran for the first time a couple years ago, and had no idea you could pay for a seat. :confused3 I feel so stupid, because we have decided not to fly them anymore because we were separated. That and they changed our 4:00 pm departure out of Orlando to a 9:30 am, we wanted to do a half park day. I guess I will take the seat thing off my list, that was our bad.

We traveled airtran for the first time a couple years ago, and had no idea you could pay for a seat. :confused3 I feel so stupid, because we have decided not to fly them anymore because we were separated. That and they changed our 4:00 pm departure out of Orlando to a 9:30 am, we wanted to do a half park day. I guess I will take the seat thing off my list, that was our bad.

As an FYI the time change thing happens on most airlines, not just Airtran. If you buy you tickets over 6 months out time changes are almost a sure thing.

If you fly a Legacy carrier like Delta, you not only need to watch for time changes, but seat changes too. The last 2 times I have flown Delta my times have changed by 5 minuts or so. Even with that little change my seat assignments have changed on me. Once it was to the rear of the plane, and the most of the front was empty.:confused3

I'm not sure how flexible Airtran is, but with Delta if they change our times around they will let you pick a new flight for no charge. Last year my nighttime non-stop home went poof, and they put me on the first one out in the morning. I looked at what other flights they had, called Delta, and they put me on the one I chose at no cost to me.:)

AirTran is VERY flexible with that, too. And their CSRs are extremely pleasant. Just look first to find flights that suit your needs better, then call and explain that the time change doesn't work for you and ask to be switched to the alternate (not 'better' ;)) flight.

I'm not sure how flexible Airtran is, but with Delta if they change our times around they will let you pick a new flight for no charge. Last year my nighttime non-stop home went poof, and they put me on the first one out in the morning. I looked at what other flights they had, called Delta, and they put me on the one I chose at no cost to me.:)
Please note, this depends on how much of a change Delta does. I think the change needs to be an hour or more (either departure or arrival time) in order for them to change with no fee.

I'm aware that flight times change a little even hours, but I thought 6.5 hours was a little excessive. I guess we had different experiences because after it happened I called them and they were gonna charge me $200 a seat because I was making changing my itinerary. Just my experience though, but you're right she was pleasant when she told me that.:thumbsup2

I don't know anything about AirTran six years ago, but AirTran now and for the last couple of years, when they change the flight time and you call and tell them the change doesn't work for your travel plans, is one of the best and most liberal airlines for allowing passengers to change itineraries at no cost.

Where most airlines won't do anything unless there's a drastic change - many hours, flight eliminated, etc. - AirTran has been reported to allow no-charge changes to nonrefundable fares when the flight time changes by as little as fifteen minutes.

I paid for two seats for DW and myself. Hopefully I won't get stuck with a 3 year old sitting next to me! I don't want to be a baby sitter for a 3.5 hour flight. Seat are all 3 across. Also if someone was begging for my seat I would consider $40 cash to give up my seats. Probably $50 for the inconvieniance.

Funny how some don't seem to understand the alacart pricing.

Pop

I don't know anything about AirTran six years ago, but AirTran now and for the last couple of years, when they change the flight time and you call and tell them the change doesn't work for your travel plans, is one of the best and most liberal airlines for allowing passengers to change itineraries at no cost.

Where most airlines won't do anything unless there's a drastic change - many hours, flight eliminated, etc. - AirTran has been reported to allow no-charge changes to nonrefundable fares when the flight time changes by as little as fifteen minutes.

Make that as little as FOUR minutes. And then the customer service person on the phone joked with me as she was making the change for me. :)

Make that as little as FOUR minutes. And then the customer service person on the phone joked with me as she was making the change for me. :)

I actually did this yesterday. AirTran changed our flight by 15 minutes so I jumped at the opportunity to change to the previous day! :cool1: 2 weeks ago they change our flight coming back by 2 hours and I changed that to leave the next day! Gained 2 days overall. They are VERY accommodating and pleasant do talk to I must say :thumbsup2

If I went to all the trouble to pay for my seat and someone asked me to give it up to them, they better be offering to pay me for it. Double would be reasonable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter