Airtran-Well, you all warned me but I didn't listen

Yes, it is nice to have choices! I have only been telling my experience with AT so others may make informed decisions. I am not saying not to use AT, I'm just letting others know what they are likely to encounter. For some of us, price is not the only deciding factor!

gotcha...im more of the sqeeze the vacation fund 'till it screams type, to = more trips sorta gal;) . I mentally cringe when friends tell me about their money is no object trips (that they can only take every couple of years:eek:) to each their own indeed.:)

I have 3 trips planned to WDW this year, two on Airtran. They have changed my schedule 5x for my return trip in August. Now they have just changed my departing flight in October from a NoN-stop arriving at 9:30(ish) am to a stop flight arriving at 11:30 ish. I don't want to stop for such a short flight, so I booked a later non-stop flight, but am Highly aggitated. I booked this flight the day it openend (months and months ago), I then paid to "pick my seat" and the four other seats of those traveling with me (6 yr old DD included). Airtran did make sure that DD and I are seated together, but the rest of my group is splattered through the plane. There are still several months to go before my trip. Sorry to continue the PP's rant, but at this point, Airtran has lost my business. I always liked how their bookings opened up before SW, and that I could pay to have my seat where I want it. Now, I just can't take the stress of wondering what change is next. When you start delaying me getting to WDW..that is where I draw the line. You want to push back my leaving time by an hour.. go ahead.. push back my arrival??? Now you are playing w/fire!;)

When you start delaying me getting to WDW..that is where I draw the line. You want to push back my leaving time by an hour.. go ahead.. push back my arrival??? Now you are playing w/fire!;)

I hear you! This is unrelated to AirTran's schedule changes, but it seems that when airlines overbook, it's usually on the way TO Orlando, when I don't want to delay my arrival. That rarely happens on my flights home FROM Orlando!

We looked, on the particulair day of the flight change, they were not flying any non-stop flights back to our originating airport.

Same here, they went to having 1 non-stop flight a week from Orlando to Atlantic City. I planned my trip around this 1 non-stop flight so we would be on it.

Now they changed it to a stopover with a change of plans in Atlanta for 2 hours. As far as I can tell, there will be no more non-stop flights from Orlando to/from Atlantic City. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same here, they went to having 1 non-stop flight a week from Orlando to Atlantic City. I planned my trip around this 1 non-stop flight so we would be on it.

Now they changed it to a stopover with a change of plans in Atlanta for 2 hours. As far as I can tell, there will be no more non-stop flights from Orlando to/from Atlantic City. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you could fly out of Philly .. not too long of a drive.:goodvibes

Maybe you could fly out of Philly .. not too long of a drive.:goodvibes

My options are Philly and Newark (a little over an hour away from each). I enjoy flying out of AC, only 2 airlines fly out of there and you can literally show up 1/2 hour before your flight with boarding pass (no checked luggage) and walk right to the plane - the airport is always empty. When my daughter flies up from college in FLorida, I just pull up outside and she comes out and hops in. It's wonderful.

With the addition of PHilly, I can also fly SouthWest. Does anyone know when Southwest will post their December flights? We;re going back to Floriday for the holidays. I looked today and they are only up to the beginning of November.

palmtreelover08 said:
Sorry to continue the PP's rant, but at this point, Airtran has lost my business.
Before you write off AirTran - and I'm not a fan, I will fly only JetBlue - PLEASE go to their website and see if they have any flights available that work better for you. If they do, simply call them and ask to be changed to these flights - and of course in your case, see about getting your seats back together (if they can't, at least get "good" seats for the various members of your party). AirTran is VERY pleasant and cooperative in allowing passengers to change flights at no charge, when AirTran makes schedule changes.

I did call Airtran, and booked the earliest non-stop flight that I could. It leaves 4 hours later than my original flight, and there were only 5 seats left on the whole plane..so no switching/picking seats. Now we are seated on the wing. (at least I am w/DD though). Originally, I was in the front of the plane.. and happy to be there. They were more than happy to switch my flight, but I had to fight w/them to get my money back for the seat choices. I paid alot of money for 5 people to be able to pick their seats.. and I wanted that $$ back. I had to get a manager on the phone, and she was "happy" to give me my $$ back. The original person helping me..was not pleasant and firm that "our policy states we can change flight times..yadda yadda yadda".

Honestly, I don't need this additional stress in my life. When I book a flight 6 months in advance, I expect to be on that flight, or a reasonably timed flight close to it. If you can't figure out your flight schedules that far in advance, stop advertising the dang things!

Honestly, I don't need this additional stress in my life. When I book a flight 6 months in advance, I expect to be on that flight, or a reasonably timed flight close to it. If you can't figure out your flight schedules that far in advance, stop advertising the dang things!

Unfortunately, this is just not going to happen. If any airline has a flight that is not full they will either cancel or condense that flight onto another one. It costs too much money for any airline to fly planes that are not full.

The best thing is to be aware that ANY airline can and will change flight times to best suit their needs, not the passengers needs. As I stated before, this past April Delta changed my flights going to Orlando multiple times, and took away my non-stop flight on the way home. It is just not Air Tran, and if you think by flying any other airline you can be 100% sure of your flight times staying the same, you are just kidding youself. Keep an eagle eye on your flight times, no matter what airline you are on!

Actually, that is the chance you take booking 6 or more months in advance. Flight schedules can and will change.

Many business travelers book a week or less in advance and will tell you that they never have schedule changes or issues unless it is weather or mechanical at the last minute. Our friend Bavaria talks about that all the time, though she pays top dollar for those flights. People who book far out in advance usually, but not always, get great prices and then complain when the flight times change. Some book by schedule and not price, but the majority of leisure travelers are totally price driven.....

Duds

Actually, that is the chance you take booking 6 or more months in advance. Flight schedules can and will change.

Many business travelers book a week or less in advance and will tell you that they never have schedule changes or issues unless it is weather or mechanical at the last minute. Our friend Bavaria talks about that all the time, though she pays top dollar for those flights. People who book far out in advance usually, but not always, get great prices and then complain when the flight times change. Some book by schedule and not price, but the majority of leisure travelers are totally price driven.....

Duds

I book by.. I want to get the flight I want, when I want, not what is left over. Business travelers aren't trying to book for a family of 5, and when the company is paying for the flight costs, they have alot more options. I have been flying only air-tran for several years, and never had a flight change by more than 15 minutes. This year, it is extreme. My guess would be due to cut-backs. I would rather see them schedule less flights in advance, and then add flights as those original flights get booked. There won't be alot of flip/floppers switching flights (at least at Airtran), as they charge $75 /seat change fee. My suggestion: Less flights listed early.. add more as needed, instead of load up with "proposed flights" and delete as necessary.

I would rather see them schedule less flights in advance, and then add flights as those original flights get booked.
Virtually impossible. They would have to have "spare" planes stored in hangars or on the outer reaches of airports, 'just in case' more people than expected tried to book flights. It just simply won't work.

It's not just a matter of deciding to add a flight or flights. There are other airlines to consider; take-off and landing slots which must be bid; crews to assign...

Won't work, plain and simple.

Virtually impossible. They would have to have "spare" planes stored in hangars or on the outer reaches of airports, 'just in case' more people than expected tried to book flights. It just simply won't work.

It's not just a matter of deciding to add a flight or flights. There are other airlines to consider; take-off and landing slots which must be bid; crews to assign...

Won't work, plain and simple.

Right, which is why I contend that AT is creating "phantom flights" that they never intend to fly and have no planes to accomodate, just to get people to book!

Right, which is why I contend that AT is creating "phantom flights" that they never intend to fly and have no planes to accomodate, just to get people to book!

Contending it is one thing. Proving it another. Not that it makes any difference. If you fly any airline you have to be aware that flight schedule changes can happen. It isn't only Air Tran that has them.

If you don't like Air Tran, then don't fly them. But don't hold them up as the example of a bad airline because they change schedules, when most airlines do the same.

Contending it is one thing. Proving it another. Not that it makes any difference. If you fly any airline you have to be aware that flight schedule changes can happen. It isn't only Air Tran that has them.

If you don't like Air Tran, then don't fly them. But don't hold them up as the example of a bad airline because they change schedules, when most airlines do the same.

I agree that other airlines change schedules, but I know quite a number of people who have booked with AT and every single one of them have had at least one flight change. Do other airlines have to change schedules now and then? Absolutely! But, AT is notorious for doing so, and since this thread is about AT, I have given my opinion and experience with AT. If there were a thread on another airline I would give my opinion of them.

I agree that other airlines change schedules, but I know quite a number of people who have booked with AT and every single one of them have had at least one flight change. Do other airlines have to change schedules now and then? Absolutely! But, AT is notorious for doing so, and since this thread is about AT, I have given my opinion and experience with AT. If there were a thread on another airline I would give my opinion of them.

We fly AT and NW. NW has had many more and bigger time changes than AT has. Several of our AT flights have had no time changes.

Emily

A few days ago I heard an Airtran radio ad extolling their convenient frequent schedules to some cities.

I would question the integrity of such an ad if an airline was unwilling to quickly and quietly let you reselect a flight in the event of a cancellation.

Admittedly it is hard to make an apples to apples comparison between an airline and a bus company and a railroad in terms of cancellation policy but in the case of the latter two, it becomes a more or less first come first served free for all when boarding the next trip.

I would question the integrity of such an ad if an airline was unwilling to quickly and quietly let you reselect a flight in the event of a cancellation.

Almost all stories reported (here and elsewhere) suggest that AirTran does allow people to "quickly and quietly" reselect flights.

AirTran just changed my flight again. Originally when I booked my flight, I was scheduled home at 9:30. After six changes.. yes,.. SIX, my flight was now due home at 12:05 AM. I was coming home on a Tuesday night for a reason..so that I could be at work the next day and not miss additional time from work (to compensate for my other two Disney trips). With getting home at 12:05 am, I would end up needing to take a half day from work the next day, just to get some sleep (figuring I would not get home from the airport until about 1:30 am)

What I can say about Airtran is that each of the six times, they did allow me to make changes if I could not accept their new flight schedule. This time, they allowed me to cancel it all together, and I am now booked on SW, arriving home at 9:35 PM.

I realize flights change, and 10-15 minutes is no big deal.. but 2.5 hours in the middle of the night does (at least to me).

I used to be one of Airtran's biggest fans. I loved their early booking, that I could pay to pick my seat, and never ever have I been delayed. I used to try and convince my friends to book w/them instead of SW so they wouldn't have to worry about checking in at exactly 24 hours before the flight. Now, I have jumped shipped. I am now a SW kind of girl. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter