AKL be Polynesian

BellaBeast787

Earning My Ears
We are looking forward to going in 2021 but unfortunately we are torn on where to stay. Half of us want AKL where we would stay for 9 nights- and the Polynesian for 8 nights. The only thing that is holding us back from both are:

The poly being crowded all the time and pricey for outdated rooms

the 25 minute rides from AKL to anywhere.

Out of the two which of these do your families prefer?

(Also the hubby is not for the spilt stay either)

Of the two, for a longer stay, I would pick Poly. The rooms are larger than the AKL rooms and you will have better access to parks, a variety of restaurants and other recreation activities via the monorail. It also has a bigger pool complex, walking access to the EP monorail and the GF. There's just more to do in that area, IMHO.

Of the two, for a longer stay, I would pick Poly. The rooms are larger than the AKL rooms and you will have better access to parks, a variety of restaurants and other recreation activities via the monorail. It also has a bigger pool complex, walking access to the EP monorail and the GF. There's just more to do in that area, IMHO.
Do some of the rooms seem run down? I saw that was a big complaint that had us a little worried for the price.

No doubt Poly resort-side (non DVC) rooms are nearing the end of their useful life - they were last renovated 2013'ish. But we've never had a room that is in any kind of objectionable condition - they just aren't as clean/crisp/fresh as Disney's more recently renovated resort rooms. In my opinion.

As to your question - I love both resorts (although I wouldn't want to stay 9 nights anywhere). I know you said splits are out, but gosh it would be a nice split.

Anyway, I tend to agree with @DisneyWishes14 - for that long a stay Poly offers a wider variety of ways to spend your time.

Also AKL isn't 25 minutes to anywhere - not counting bus wait times, trips most everywhere will be shorter than that.

I'll go opposite here, if those were my two choices, I'd go with AKL. I have stayed at both - Poly many times. Poly is actually further away from all the parks other than MK then AKL is. AKL is closer to AK, Epcot and HS then Poly.

Personally, I'd look into the Epcot resorts, walking distance to Epcot and HS, bus ride to AK and either monorail or bus to MK.

Of these two, I would prob choose AKL.

But for a nine day trip, I would look at the Epcot resorts too. 9 days is alot of hopping into Epcot for dinner and the convenience of the Epcot resorts for this can't be beat. I also imagine you're going to be really tired of busses after 9 days so walking to 2 parks from and Epcot resort would be great.

Poly! Youre just a monorail ride away from 2 parks and it’s so much fun! AK is beautiful but it’s too isolated for my taste. Though it’d be perfect for a more resort centered trip. Either way, look into renting points, you’ll save a lot of money

If a 25 minute ride seems long and you plan to visit all the parks...I vote AKL.

Poly is close to MK and getting there is super convenient. Epcot is pretty easy, and catching a monorail from the TTC is fun. But at some point in a 9 day trip you’ll have to catch a bus, and at Poly it’s shared service with GF.

If you’re staying in non-DVC, AKL rooms are being renovated right now. If you haven’t, check out some new pictures. The rooms are still the same size, but some changes to the furniture mean it looks less cramped in a room, and there’s more storage space.

I think there’s tons to do at AKL, from a good range of restaurants to quiet spots to relax and fun activities.

I mean...last year we stayed 8 nights at Poly, and this year we’re staying 10 nights at AKL. I like them both. But with your concerns, I’d vote AKL.

Since you're planning for 2021, it is always possible that the rooms at the Poly will be refurbished by then. I would do the Poly. It is super convenient to MK via boat/monorail, and to Epcot via walk to TTC/monorail. Also, the food options nearby are much better: can eat at any of the monorail resorts easily.

Would AKL be savannah view? That is the only thing that makes it a closer call for me, as Savannah view is fun to do at least once. If not, then Poly hands down regardless of view category is a better resort in my opinion.

We've stayed at both and while I do love AKL, the Poly is my overall favorite and would be my choice. The rooms are quite a bit larger than AKL and it's great being just 2 monorail stops from MK and a quick 5-7 walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. The tropical atmosphere is relaxing and the pool is great as it backs up to the beach with a distant view of the castle (you can watch fireworks while swimming). Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter which resort you choose :wizard:.

Not true. AKL is close to AK, and relatively close to Epcot, DHS, DS. MK is remote from almost everything except it's five nearby resorts.
That false narrative is repeated so much that people think it's true.
It's the only knock I have ever hear on AKL, But that's filled mostly with Disney logic as people are just trying to justify spending the extra 1K to 4k on the other deluxe resorts. That are not as nice as AKL IOO. Haha Time is money, but 4K to stay are CR so I can save 30 minutes in 10 days is a bit insane. Ha
I timed the bus rides the last time we stayed at AKL for that very reason. I also went to mapquest for directions from MK resorts to the parks and AKL to the parks. The furthest bus ride is AKL to MK, and it's 18 minutes.The rest of the parks are all 13 or less. The Poly is 18 minutes from AK and within a minute or two of being the same as AKL to EPCOT or HS. Taking the Monorail from the resorts to TTC and then waiting for the EPCOT monorail isn't as fast as any of the buses typically. Ha
The mileage between AKL and Poly to the parks is within a mile or two max. So it' can't take WAY longer. Plus, I'm at the parks for 10+ hours per day. DS is the exact same distance from both AKL and the MK resorts.
We stayed at Gran Destino Tower in Sept and Uber everywhere other than MK. That resort is within 5 minutes of AK, HS and EPCOT. We save 3 or 4K on a 10 day stay over the deluxe resorts, so spending almost double so I can take a 5 minute walk to Epcot or MK doesn't move the needle much when I can take a 5 minute Uber for $7.00.
There is no accounting for Disney logic however! Haha

It's the only knock I have ever hear on AKL, But that's filled mostly with Disney logic as people are just trying to justify spending the extra 1K to 4k on the other deluxe resorts. That are not as nice as AKL IOO. Haha Time is money, but 4K to stay are CR so I can save 30 minutes in 10 days is a bit insane. Ha
I timed the bus rides the last time we stayed at AKL for that very reason. I also went to mapquest for directions from MK resorts to the parks and AKL to the parks. The furthest bus ride is AKL to MK, and it's 18 minutes.The rest of the parks are all 13 or less. The Poly is 18 minutes from AK and within a minute or two of being the same as AKL to EPCOT or HS. Taking the Monorail from the resorts to TTC and then waiting for the EPCOT monorail isn't as fast as any of the buses typically. Ha
The mileage between AKL and Poly to the parks is within a mile or two max. So it' can't take WAY longer. Plus, I'm at the parks for 10+ hours per day. DS is the exact same distance from both AKL and the MK resorts.
We stayed at Gran Destino Tower in Sept and Uber everywhere other than MK. That resort is within 5 minutes of AK, HS and EPCOT. We save 3 or 4K on a 10 day stay over the deluxe resorts, so spending almost double so I can take a 5 minute walk to Epcot or MK doesn't move the needle much when I can take a 5 minute Uber for $7.00.
To be honest the Animal Kingdom Lodge on sale I’ve seen at $339 a night which was really wonderful. The Poly standard room starts around $600 depending. Everyone’s favorite resort seems to be the Poly but AKL is easier on the wallet. Poly seems only convenient when going to just the Magic Kingdom by boat. I know everyone seems to enjoy the vibe over at the Poly.

We are looking forward to going in 2021 but unfortunately we are torn on where to stay. Half of us want AKL where we would stay for 9 nights- and the Polynesian for 8 nights. The only thing that is holding us back from both are:

The poly being crowded all the time and pricey for outdated rooms

the 25 minute rides from AKL to anywhere.

Out of the two which of these do your families prefer?

(Also the hubby is not for the spilt stay either)

The rooms at Poly are not outdated by any means... I stayed there last January and it was fantastic, room was actually quite large and nice.

My choice would be Poly. We really love the resort so maybe I’m biased! We returned yesterday from a six night stay and on the plane ride home I was next to a young woman flying for business and her previous stay had been at AKL and she said that the food choices got old to them and especially there preschooler.

Being on the monorail heading out to a meal at GF or CR is really quick and easy. If you have young children with strollers it makes getting to MK so easy that it’s no trouble to pop back and forth during the day. Especially since security at the hotel is much quicker than at the park.

We’ve never been at Christmas but the Poly never seems too busy for me, maybe the lounge area outside of ‘Ohana but we even sat there with a drink from tambu with no problems.

AKL is certainly cheaper than the other Deluxes, but Disney didn’t price it that way for no reason. Close proximity to parks really is that important to a lot of people. You may not see the value in it, but I did when I stayed at POFQ to save money last summer and didn’t have it. Getting home at night from my favorite parks (MK and Epcot) was so much more stressful than on Poly or BC stays. And I don’t even have kids and strollers to wrangle on trips. Rideshare has leveled the playing field a lot, but it’s not teleportation tech and it has downsides also. That drive time doesn’t include the time you’re waiting for your ride to be located and your driver to get to you. Which is not insignificant when you’re trying to make an early AM EMH to rope drop an E-Ticket like Slinky Dog (I found that out the hard way last summer). Also? Rides also come a lot faster to MK area resorts than others, in my experience. They came so fast at the Poly in the morning that we had to remember not to book until we were standing outside. Midday it’s more of a crapshoot but understand that it’s still the most heavily trafficked area on property and thus will have better availability. Also understand that for folks with multiple kids with need for car seats/strollers, rideshare can be a non-starter and Minnie Vans would quickly eat up any cost savings for the room.

I do everything I can to avoid taking Disney buses regardless of where I’m staying, so if all a resort has to offer me are buses, that’s a huge knock against it regardless of what the actual commute times are like. On vacation, I need novelty and the change from my daily routine where I’m crammed in packed buses to get to work daily. You also don’t have to transfer monorails to get to Epcot if you’re staying at the Poly, since the TTC is a 5 minute walk away. The only bad thing was having to do security twice, which is no longer an issue.

Don’t get me wrong, AKL is a stunning resort, but it very much is isolated compared to other Deluxes. “Isolated” isn’t necessarily referring to park commute times, either (I agree they’re inflated by people though). Like...AKL has fantastic dining, but if you end up not liking it or if you ever want to mix it up or try something else, or even if you just want character dining one day, you’re looking at getting on a bus or rideshare. Meanwhile at Beach Club when I wasn’t a fan of the options at my resort, all I had to do was walk less than 5 minutes to Crew’s Cup. I also had the whole Boardwalk right outside my door, and World Showcase. The MK resort area is the same way, with a bunch of great resort dining a quick monorail or boat ride away. No one reasonable would ever claim Chef Mickey’s is on par with Jiko, but the point stands that you’ve got more variety in other resort areas. All of this translates to a higher price point that people are fine with paying.

“Niceness” is relative and very subjective, tbh. AKL is a gorgeous resort, and I like the theming a lot, but I prefer the kitschy retro 70s vibe at the Poly, and I don’t like the rooms at all at AKL.

I'm not a big Poly fan, but it would depend on what level of room at AKL. I wouldn't do any less than pool-view room at AKL, but would honestly choose Poly unless Savannah view at AKL.

I'm not a big Poly fan, but it would depend on what level of room at AKL. I wouldn't do any less than pool-view room at AKL, but would honestly choose Poly unless Savannah view at AKL.
I actually would prefer standard view to pool view at AKL, as pool view is the only view that offers no chance of seeing animals from your balcony. A good number of standard view rooms, particularly those on the Kudu trail, have excellent animal views. They just aren't classified as savanna view because they don't offer the sweeping view of the savanna.

OP, AKL is a stunning resort, and having animals there is very special. All guests have access to two feature pools, one at Jambo and one at Kidani. Its lobby is much less hectic than Poly's because it's not on the monorail. It has great restaurants, both table service and counter service are very good there. It only offers bus transportation, but that bus transportation is exclusive to Animal Kingdon Lodge/Kidani Villas, and never shares with another resort. The bus service at monorail resorts is shared, which slows down the whole process. Finally, the entire resort is in one building, so no need to get wet walking between the lobby/restaurant & your room during a rain shower, unlike at Poly, where you would have to walk through the rain.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter