AKL - Savanna View, Minus the Animals

We got here Friday night. Still have yet to see anything of note by our room over the past 5 days. Eg. here is our “savanna” view in the afternoon. I saw 3 zebras - my mom’s favorite animal - on the walk back to the room on the OTHER side.

I totally agree that it is a lovely hotel and the food is wonderful, but in good conscience I don’t know if I can recommend it anymore based on our experience this week.

IMG_6225.jpeg.

Good news! After 4.5 days we FINALLY saw some giraffes from our balcony around 4:30pm. Everything is gone again (of course), but my mom is so completely enamored with the rest of the resort that she’s going to remember those giraffes and use them as an excuse to come back. So she’s happy, and that’s really what is most important.

Good news! After 4.5 days we FINALLY saw some giraffes from our balcony around 4:30pm. Everything is gone again (of course), but my mom is so completely enamored with the rest of the resort that she’s going to remember those giraffes and use them as an excuse to come back. So she’s happy, and that’s really what is most important.
Glad to hear that you finally saw them from the room! It's really quite amazing. But the animals do run on their own schedule during the day!!

I’m guessing that if you/your mom go down to the Uzima overlook by the pool the CM stationed there can share some details about those giraffes - I believe they are all young - 2 girls & a boy, the CM even told me their names several days ago, which I promptly forgot 😂.

And I just remembered that you probably won't see them between 9:00 and 11:30 am (sometime in there, not necessarily the whole time). That's when they go back for "breakfast" and vet checks, and it gives the animal keepers an opportunity to come out, check over the savannah, and scoop animal poop (one morning I actually watched them do that).

Over the years I can’t believe how many pictures of giraffes I have taken from our balconies. When I go to delete pictures, I rarely delete any of those pictures. I hope you/she took lots of pictures!

I’ve had good luck at both Jambo and Kidani. I have noticed that the best times for animals are the breakfast hour and the hour before sundown. The worst times in my experience have been mid-day. They provide food for the animals at these times so it is hard to miss.

We have stayed in Kidani and Jambo several times and never had any issues with seeing animals with a savannah view. there are definitely times in the day where there are less but that's expected when dealing with live animals.

We just stayed in a Jambo house savanna view studio in December and for our room it was feast or famine.

Most times of the day, there were no animals, but around 4ish, we had a ton of them. Zebras, wildebeests, and all sorts of others. Even giraffe, but they were further away. If we were around at that time, we had a fabulous time watching them from the balcony and I came home with a bunch of great pics and videos. Problem was, we were usually on the way to dinner at that time, so didn't catch this more than a couple of times. I will probably request a different area of the resort next time, even though we had a fabulous stay.

We are currently at AKL (Jambo) in a Savanna room, and while the room and view are lovely, there are almost never any animals out in front of our room. There are a fair number of animals out by reception, but over here it’s quite barren. Would Kidani be any better? Is ths just par for the course at AKL? My mom stayed in the Jambo 3BD last year and said she never once saw an animal outside of her room.

We own here and my mom loves the resort, but honestly these may become SAP if the animals remain MIA.

(Edited to correct a spelling mistake)
Seeing as the animals are not "trained", it's the luck of the moment.
I have stayed at AKL twice, never savanna view. All my animal viewing was outside or during pool time we would walk over to an area. I can say we saw a few incredible encounters that only lasted seconds and when we walked away, the people walking up didn't have a clue what they just missed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter